Guitar questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

post it in the youtube thread

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

If you've no experience with buying/playing guitar's you may just end up buying an inexpensive, used, warped necked, un-tuneable (is that a word) piece of shit from the pawn shop.
    If ya love your kid, which ya do...invest the good money on a good guitar.
    There is nothing more frustrating than a piece of crap geetar which will not stay in tune.
    If ya go the pawn shop route, bring someone along with a bit of knowledge.

3. zx1012r

zx1012r WERA Wannabe

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Nothing worse than struggling on a guitar that can't be set up properly to play easily.

A $250.00 to $450.00 price range will get a fantastic guitar that will last through the time he gets an electric and forgets about the acoustic for a while. Then it will be there to go back to. And if he doesn't stick with it it can be sold for near it's original value.

I think if you are looking at high end equipment Guitar Center doesn't have the best reputation, but for sheer ease of getting an inexpensive but quality instrument they will be fine. It's great to get a relationship growing with a mom and pop store but they are unfortunately becoming scarce.

It is important to include him in the decision and take him with you to try them out.

4. Shenanigans

He has a cheap one that has a warped neck.

5. 12

12 Well-Known Member

6. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Get a Yamaha acoustic from guitar center. Sounds good and plays good, well intonated and for the price you can't beat 'em. If he can't learn to play acoustic, he probably won't stick with, if he does learn to play acoustic, he more than likely has the patience and dedication that it takes to develop an aptitude for the guitar, at least enough to learn some chords and complete songs. Get a fullsize too, that baby crap is novelty and he'll want a full size sooner rather than later. Just my .02

:rock:

7. L8RSK8R

I have an 86 Yamaha FG335Sii, made in Taiwan. It was given to me as a going away (emigrating to USA) gift as the guy was going insane and also about to be admitting to an asylum in Scotland. He claimed he was possessed by demon's (He was quite mad)
    No guitar strings allowed in an asylum :)
    I love it, play's great and excellent construction. Stay's in tune and the neck is just right for me, small hand's.
    I've never seen another FG365Sii here in the State's but an awesome playing/sounding guitar.
    Damnit, now you've got me lookin at guitar's again :(
    I went thru a phase of buying Peavey Wolfgang & Ernie Ball EVH guitar's, still have 'em.

8. Shenanigans

Did i twist your arm? lol. Lil dude text me earlier and said a seagull s6 or s2 was nice too. I have no clue what he is talking about. Im googling shit to keep up.

9. L8RSK8R

I don't know much about Seagull Guitar's but it was founded by Bob Godin and he's now moved on with another line Godin Guitar's.
    I love guitar's, can't play near as good as I wished I would some day.
    If on your search for a geetar, if ya find an old Martin for $200...please let me know :)

10. Shenanigans

10-4 will do

11. trancework

trancework It's always now...

I traded a "very-well loved" mahogany road series dreadnaught in on a new DC-Aura. It looked like somebody peeled out a tire on it, it was so rashed but the sound was sweet as it gets.

http://topguitars.info/guitars/view/457/27/default.html

At first I thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever done and the next day I went to buy it back. Found out that a guy--the salesman said would otherwise would not have been able to afford a Martin--jumped on it and started playing the frets off the thing the moment that it hit the floor.

He poured over his finances and left--only to return a few hours later to take it home. This was a special guitar to me, and now even more so. I was told that his first child, a daughter, had just been born and he'd sworn he was going to raise her buy playing her to sleep.

That was a few years ago, now I'm sure that guitar is still making a little girl smile.

On another note, if you've yet to fall in love with the Guitar or are adding wood to that flame, I cannot recommend highly enough the book Guitar An American Life. I should have put this in the "best books" thread. It is utterly fascinating and extremely heartfelt.

Rock on, little dude!

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

All of the guys in my band scour Craigslist daily for musical gear.

People are hard up right now and there are many deals to be found.

I'm a drummer and I can pick up lightly used Zildian's for about 25% of their original cost.

Doesn't hurt to give it a look.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good idea...at least CL you can see what you're buying unlike ebay.

14. krod524

krod524 Well-Known Member

Ok hold on...

15. L8RSK8R

geetar, not paper :)

16. krod524

krod524 Well-Known Member

OK I just PM'd you. Check it out...:up:

17. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Gary, I've been looking to pick up an acoustic since last Christmas and this is the cheapest I've seen them on CL. As others have mentioned I'd take a guitar player with you who can examine the construction for defects. GC was a much better deal over the last year but it seems the used market competition has made that a very attractive route at the moment. It all seems cyclical around here.

18. Shenanigans

He got a Martin. i'll post up the model later, goin in to work now

19. L8RSK8R

Guitar market is dead.
    I sold a Peavey 1st year quilt top Wolfgang EVH in mint condition for $3400 in 2008.
    I listed a very clean, played maybe 20 hour's Wolfgang Standard Deluxe on Ebay 3 or 4 month's ago with no reserve and it sold for $985 :( I was expecting $1400-$1500 for it.