1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vortex vs Woodcraft Rearsets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by madman748, Sep 8, 2011.

1. madman748

madman748 I'm your huckleberry

I am needing to order a set of rearsets and wanted to know if one is better than the other. Any advantages one have over the other? I am installing a Bazzaz QC with a standard shift pattern. They will be installed on my K6 750. I currently have Woodcraft on my '00 GSXR-750 and like them well enough. I have heard that the pegs on the Vortex murder your boot soles. Is that the case?

Thanks for the input.

Brett

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

the pegs on my vortex are sharp, that is for sure. caught my calf unloading the bike in shorts once, was a pretty good tear of the skin. my boot soles dont seem to go any faster with them though, my last pair of TCX boots lasted two seasons of track days. my new Astar supertech R boots only have one race weekend and two track days on the vortex pegs and dont show any signs of wear yet...

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have vortex on just about every bike I own... my supertech boot soles still look new.

I like vortex because they are slightly more adjustable than comparable woodcrafts

4. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I have the exact same experience, plus they also have some great phone/web reps; they rush shipped parts for me and helped me ID some parts via phone pictures when I accidentally ground down the part numbers. They could have sold me an entire 'assembly' and I would have gone for it, but they chose to find and ship exactly what I needed, I really liked that.

5. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

The pegs on the Vortex are definitely sharp but they're not tearing up the soles of my Axos. I've heard of it, but have not experienced it. Love my Vortex rearsets.

6. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

I also had a great phone experience with vortex to get replacement parts. Great customer service! :Poke:

7. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

1 more for the vortex's. They have bearings in the shifter/brake lever (not sure that you'll have the shifter on a gsxr), and they seem to be nicer after a few seasons of use.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I have woodcrafts they are okay but as soon as i have the cash i will be buying vortex. My woodcrafts have some time on them and i am not sure how they were taking of before i owned the bike but the shifter and brake arm are very sloppy. IF i keep them i will bore them and make some brass bushings for them to tighten them up a bit. My .02

9. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

I've been using Woodcraft since the mid 1990's. Had them on every bike I've had since then(got to be like 10 or so different bikes). No reason to use anything else as they work great and don't beak parts off your bike when you crash. They are a racing family and have great customer service.

And they make the best rear stands around in my opinion... I can push and pull my bike around the shop on it with ease and not worry it might jump off while moving. I have never seen another stand be able to do that.:beer:

10. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

I've been riding the Vortex "Cheese Graters" on several of my bikes over the past 4 years.
    They work great, very adjustable, reasonably priced, & replacement parts easy to get.
    They did eat at my Sidi boot soles in the ball of the foot area after a couple years - got them re-soled with Sidi MX soles which seem to be lasting longer.

Finally got tired of the sharp edges on the Vortex pegs & got a small file & removed those dam sharp edges !
    Pegs still have very good grip but I don't cut / scrape my shins, leathers, or boots nearly as bad anymore !
    Filing operation only took about 10-15 minutes per side with a small 6 inch Bastard-Cut Flat Mill File
    I only took the sharp edges off the 4 sides of each of the peg's "teeth" - tedious but worth it in IMHO

We are riding the Woodcraft rearsets on the endurance EX250 and they also work great - no complaints with them either

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  11. RacerX8500

RacerX8500 Active Member

In my experience they have excellent customer service, although they only work in the highest position on my K9 1000 since they don't clear the Yosh R77 pipe. You might want to check with them if their rearsets work with your pipe.

12. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

I have the Vortex. They do tear up your boots. Easy fix.
    Three zip ties spread out evenly on each peg. Problem fixed.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

+1 for Woodcraft...quality products and customer service is awesome.:up:

14. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I have Vortex on my K7 750.

In June this year at Miller, the adapter/adjuster plate on the left side broke as I was exiting the Attitudes, not fun.

I am unsure if the left side of the bike has hit the ground with that bracket, but if it did, it was at least 40 days of track use before that day.

There is not a lot of material in the Vortex adjuster plates, I dont have much trust in the plate any more. I think the way to go is to use the stock GSXR adjuster plates with the Vortex pegs, and yes they chew the hell out of boots, but I sure like the grip.

15. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

The exact same thing happened to me on the same bike. The adjuster plate broke clean in half at it's weakest point as I was exiting a corner. This was on a set of Vortex rear sets that were bought new and had never touched the ground. There's very little material on these plates in the little "step" just in front of the first set of mounting holes. On two previous low sides similar plates broke in the exact place, while the Vortex foot peg looked nearly new and did not break off at the machined groove, leading me to believe that the weakest point on these particular rearsets is not the peg but the bracket itself. Luckily I managed to weld up the old brakets for spares and they are now stronger than before....so don't throw them out.

16. RacerX8500

RacerX8500 Active Member

This is in reference to Vortex. Sorry. :crackhead:

17. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I use Woodcraft which use the stock mounting plate on the 06/07 GSXR 600/750. The stock plate is a cast piece. It looks to be the weakest point on the rear sets. It will most likely bend in a crash saving the frame. I would think it's designed that way.
    Perhaps the Vortex plate is the same, that's why they are breaking. A billet part is more difficult to produce with a set "give way" point than a casting. I have no experience with Vortex pegs but do run their sprockets. In any event they should not be breaking under normal use.

18. use vortex on my race bike and put it down twice on the same side this year and the peg hasnt bent or anything, they are super strong in my opinion. Upside to that is it helps save your body parts some! Plus there is no give to them, I weigh 205 and I got the bright idea to stand on them and bounce up and down as hard as I could and they didnt give one bit. +1 to the speedy and great parts people if you need replacement stuff!

19. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I have both vortex and woodcraft on two bikes.

My opinion - Vortex has wera contingency.

Vortex will: eat your boots, bend and break every other part it's attached to before it breaks itself and it punctures the skin really good to require surgery, stitches or at very least a tetanus shot.

Woodcraft - not made as stong IMO but will break before ripping a piece of the frame off. The also seem alittle bit easier to install as they don't use bearings for their footpegs as vortex does or use to.

20. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

+1.

33 stitches on my leg inside the knee thanks to the serrated Vortex footpegs. Never again.

Woodcraft all the way.