Fellow mid-packers and backmarkers: do you also have fun racing?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by HPPT, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I still hate that damned bike. With a passion. I actually quit pushing any bikes for any distance for a while after that :D

2. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

For all you track day guys who have ever thought about racing but for whatever reason just haven't, JUST DO IT. You will be forever changed. It takes an entirely different mindset from a track day to grid up and race. It won't matter where you finish. You will have other racers at your level of ability to compete with. You may think you have raced while battling your buddies at a track day, but until you grid up and do it for real, you don't know what it takes mentally. Once you do it, you will feel different, and it will stay with you always.

For those who are using this BBS as an excuse to not race with WERA, you are missing out on a truly outstanding organization that cares about the sport and even more important, people. It truly is like family in the paddock from the racers to the officials. Go see for yourself and then make up your mind.

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

When it stops being fun I load up and go home. If some thing breaks and I don't feel like fixing it in the truck it goes. I have enough stress at work I don't need more at the track.

Have only loaded up and went home once after a crash, I was pretty sore. I have loaded up and just hung out for the rest of the day before. I have also just ran one bike cause the other made a strange noise or had a bad oilfilter o-ring and was leaking some. Just not worth dealing with.

I like working on bikes when there is no rush in my garage so I try very hard to get everything done way ahead of time. Some times crap happens but I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes. Easier these days cause I ride mostly minis and supermotos. But I also have been know to take the track bike and street bike to a trackday. As the day wore on I'd ride the one more comfy street bike at a slower pace.

I've also showed up at the track with broken collar bones and zero bikes, I can still take photos and hold a flag with one hand.

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

And if I remember right, you know your limits too. Pulling yourself out of the competion rather than risk hurting yourself or someone else... thank you!

5. hrc_nick_11

Yeah the whole once had a heat stroke thing really sucks on hot days. I tend to take it easy and try to stay out of the sun when its hot.

6. hrc_nick_11

Oh tell Draik he is welcome on the KTM if he makes it to G&J.

7. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Thank you sir, the KX is gone but we are planning to make it to the mini mash fo'sho.

8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

just wanted to update this thread with a rookie's perspective:

i competed in my first race weekend this last weekend. (not with wera, sorry)

i was on a 750 in the "open" class, so mostly competing with guys on liter bikes. i had an absolute blast. had some battles, for back positions but they were still intense for me. i didnt care about results so much as having fun, and i had plenty, even fighting for 6th place out of 11...

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I don't but I bet JU could pull that story from memory.
    I want to say it was '03-ish at VIR

10. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

99 Roebling Road. A bunch of us took the trip down from PA to get our race licenses and do the solo. We had to leave on Sunday am because all of us had to be back at work and it was a 12 hour drive home. Three of us, me, Scott Powers and Brian Johnson worked our way up to mid pack and had a four way battle going for most of the race for something like 15th place. Last lap we all go into the last turn together. Powers goes to the outside to pass a guy on a Triumph, I stay to the inside. Guy starts to drift wide and Powers ends up on the rumble strips looking like he is riding a mechanical bull. I got by on the inside and, still having my horn connected, gave him a honk and a "Your number one" salute as I whent by. We still laugh about that to this day. That was also our first introduction to Retard Row. Complete with Tom's Inflatable Woman. Good times.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I remember that weekend (but not the race itself).

12. got40

got40 On hiatus...

And it has a happy new owner
    :rock:

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

even the joy of running towards the front can wear off, i got burnt out, sold everything and started street riding, as long as you enjoy it, have a blast, when its not enjoyable, its time to leave

14. grandmacpubah

grandmacpubah Member

i ran my very first race a couple weekends ago...here's a summary...it's long but if you're on the fence about racing, I think it's worth the read and I hope it gives you the confidence to start racing even if you think you're gonna be a backmarker.

(you don't have to be a member to see the post)

http://pnwriders.com/track-time/148241-i-survived-my-first-race.html

15. slomo

slomo Member

Phuck yeah! I don't get to race that often but the memories of my first race with those butterflies swooping around my guts like B52 bombers will always live with me...."feel the fear and do it anyway" never rang more true.

For what it's worth I got my first podiums (3rd, 1st and 2nd) a couple of weeks ago in a support race for our National champs but it was the last battle that I lost out for 2nd that was my highlight. Winning definitely ain't everything.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I wanna race but where would I have to be with regards to how fast I am currently running. I started riding bikes in May 2010, I've done 11 track days since July last year on several bike's ,89 GSXR 1100, 98 SRAD 750 and now 2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R. Last Sat/Sun I knocked 4 seconds off my best Big Willow lap time and run consistant 1:43-1:44's.
    If I go race would I be in a field with folks of similar experience or abilites?
    My thought is to try and get into mid 1:30's by next race season and grid up thinking I'd be somewhat competitive by then.
    You guys can/could probably all run Willow in 1:25 and less, would I be in the same group/race series? Only using Willow as an example as its my "home" track (4 hours away)
    Slowly but surely I'm gettin there.

17. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

I think it's easier to get faster racing. Riders at trackdays are unpredictable. Slow racers are usually closer to the line than moderately quick track day riders. You'll learn to go faster, because you're gonna go out in practice and grab a tow. Talk to people in your class. Someone will help you out.

As far as being a mid-pack racer goes, just less money to spend on tires.

18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i did my New Racer School while being a solid B group trackday rider. seriously. not fast enough to run A group at big willow or any other track and too intimidated to try. but, i didnt care, so i took the NRS, (they force you to ride in A group! scared me) anyway, during my practices of my first race weekend, my lap times were better by about 5 seconds than i had previously ever done in a track day. during my second race, i dropped another 5 seconds of my best lap in practice.

the moral: lap times at track days dont really matter. you will improve racing much faster than practicing at TDs. (all this occurred at chuckwalla- not big willow) i havent won any races, but its a thrill and intense adrenaline rush like nothing i have experienced.

19. dubrdr

dubrdr Well-Known Member

i just started racing this year. hell it was my first time even on the track... i did the riders school at vir and my first race was summit.... i didnt crash or cause anybody else to crash so it was a successful race for me.... my goal is to complete the race in a safe manner and progressively get better/faster.... i use to think i was fast but i was wrong... that was just stupid riding on the public roads of western pa.... im glad i switched and im in the process of selling my street bike(08 cbr1000rr) cause i have no intention of riding hard on the streets anymore....

first race in c novice i came in 16th of 17th so it was a bonus for me.... either way first or last its so much safer and fun than street riding... looking at getting a (minimoto) to take to beaver run to get better at track riding and have a little fun during the week...

all in all im fine with being a backmarker novice

20. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Shouldn't give up riding bikes on the public roads, just ride carefully. If no one bought road bikes, there would be no road racing on the tracks.