1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Sacko DougK, Apr 7, 2011.

1. RedEIKO0713

RedEIKO0713 you like noodles? fapfap

The military... :down:

A bum kid with a pony tail that thinks wearing BDU's pants are guns are the coolest things ever.

2. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Gov't shutdown? Who gives a rat's ass....we could stand to save a few bucks for a change...

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Are you willing to accept the military only being able to do half of what it does now? You might be surprised to find that the inflation adjusted military budget has been somewhat constant for a long time. Additionally unlike the EPA, Education Department, HUD, etc. it is a constitutional duty.

Surely there is room for improvement but 50% is suicidal.

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to see all military activity in the middle east stopped and those funds either saved or reallocated for domestic use (ie education, police, fire depts, water treatment ect). We don't need to be the world police.

I also think that there should be a much earlier budget dead line and if it isn't met then they should all be dismissed and new elections held. Bet there wouldn't be any more of this shit to debate.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

50% would be too much, but cutting military spending is NEVER talked about by either party and perhaps it's time as it's the biggest slice of the spending pie. They spent billions before cutting off spending for the F-22's and they have not seen any combat flights in Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya as just one example of waste. The huge military we had in the days of the cold war just isn't needed. The world needs to know we can still kick ass, but maybe only 10 times over instead of 100.

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

We don't have the huge military we did during the Cold War. Military spending is set to be overtaken by interest payments on the national debt within 20 years. Only pathetic and failing societies do that.

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Guess we best get to payin on that dept bill instead of 3 bullshit missions in the armpit of the world then (no there isn't a war in detroit).

8. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Another reason to get spending under control, including the military budget.

9. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Fuck Nasa, shut that shit down. While we're at it...We need to get rid of the majority of what the EPA does. Cut military spending, and privatize all the national park shit.

We also need to shut down all the welfare stuff, along with hiring better qualified teachers, police, and firemen.

10. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

armpit? I'd of gone with ass, or maybe hemroid...

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

SecDef Gates says we spend far too much on defense spending. But is anyone listening?

A look at 2010

12. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

13. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

If you think that taking $800M out of the economy (the amount of the last govt. shutdown) won't effect you, you're crazy.

Here's a great way to solve the budget problem; let large corporations pay their fair share. Google the VT Sen Sander's speech to the Senate on 3/31 and I think you can see that if a few corporations would just pay as much as you and I do, there would be no problems.

14. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Registered User

Do you honestly think that corporations pay the taxes? Increased corporate taxes show up as increased cost to the customer.

15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

lol, keep acting like you know me.

not that i have to explain anything to you, but i guess i should have been more clear. after paying down my debt, i'm not as liquid as i was, say, last week. i'll be fine, but it's more of an inconvenience to me than anything as now i have to move some money around.

yes, shame on me for not following this more closely, shame on me for paying my bills, and shame on me for thinking that our gov't would pull their heads out of their asses and have this straightened out by the deadline.

congress still gets paid but the troops overseas dont?

give me a fucking break. what a joke. :down:

16. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: see my other post.

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

where are you going to find them, India?

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've watched the hand wringing over the Federal budget for my entire adult life. Seldom has anything (other than talk) been done about it. The problem is no longer 30 years out in the future...It is here NOW! This Congress had better gain some backbone and start dealing with it, or else. Shutting the government down is a joke compared to the real issue. I say shut it down...better yet, keep it down for a month. It may give the morons in this country a taste of what life is gonna be like if we done take action NOW.

Sometimes it does take a 2X4 to get the mules attention. It's a shame it has to be that way but obviously many numbskulls don't think the country is in dire straights.

19. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

You should have sought Dungeon approval for your fiscal policies.:Poke::D

20. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Registered User

$800M phantom dollars? Where did those $800 million come from? It's OK to furlough at the local and state level, but Feds are somehow more essential than those or private workers?