1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine mount bolt issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ScottyJFZ1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

or I could run it up to Kent at GMD....weird that the old bolt that has been in and out at least a half of dozen times never had any issues....

2. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

I would forget about the helicoil, they are a pain in the ass in an open hole; tending to screw themselves out the backside when your trying to install the bolt. What you want to use is a timesert. www.timesert.com. It's a thinwall solid threaded bushing that is countersunk into the hole, never unthreading itself. I used one on my CBR1000RR in the same situation. The bushings are steel and very tough.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

This happens all the time to sportbikes. The problem is, most aftermarket frame slider bolts are too short and do not utilize all of the thread, so when the bike is crashed there is a lot of load on only a small amount of threads which ends up pulling or damaging the threads. Even without a crash, if you aren't gentle with aluminum threads, they will be destroyed quite easily (has the strength of play-doh). I recommend time-sert to repair the damaged threads, just used some for my frame (gas tank bolts) and they seem to be much better than heli-coils. More than likely, you are going to have to drop the motor to install the new threads (the frame mount will be in the way, unless you don't mind drilling your frame).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

The motor mount bolt is 10x1.25
    Is the picture you attached the bolt that came in the slider kit?
    Also wondering, is that from the left side of the bike or the right?

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for some motor sag to occur when you remove one of the motor mount bolts on a GSXR, particularly the left side. You may be able to get away with putting a jack under the motor and lowering the bike onto the jack to push the motor back up into place. This doesn't help with the thread issue though. You're most likely going to have to drop the motor to re-thread

5. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

yes the picture is the bolt that came with the woodcraft sliders

and It is the right side of my GSXR I ahve not even tried to mess with the left side yet. I have taken the old slider bolt (Shogun sliders) off about 8 times and it never had a problem.... I am hoping I can re tap this hole and get the bolt in....once it is in and tight...it should not be needed to come out again unless something really bad happens...(knocking on wood)

6. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

Scotty, you better not mess that bike up so you can't ride in may at Tally

7. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

I know Byrdman ... I hope I can get a tap in there and rethread it...

8. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Just spend the time and drop the engine. It'll make the job so much easier and faster.

9. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

I have nver dropped an engine in a bike so if it was loosening 4 bolts and then letting it drop...but to tear it all down that seems like a learning expereince that will take lots of time....

but if all esle fails I will do what I have to do to fix it correctly...

10. Demented

Once you get some wires out of the way, the exhaust off, and maybe a few more things...it pretty much just is 4 or so bolts and letting it drop. Good learning experience, but also quite easy. You don't even need to completely drop it out of the bike, just low enough to be able to get the tap through.

11. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

So I could leave the rear mounting bolt o just loosen it and let the front of the engine rotate downward about an inch.....I seriously do not want to get in to that....

12. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

If it doesn't work out you can come down to my shop. But maybe Lee can help you. I know he is closer. You know I can fix it.

13. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

dont do that unless you have a floor jack and some two by fours handy. it rotates down and forward easy enough (read: requires elbow grease) but it took almost giving myself a hernia to get it back in.

i have dropped and re-installed two gsxr engines so im getting the hang of it now... one thing to think about, anytime you have both front engine mounts out the engine can shift a little, causing your bolt to mis thread when you put it and the slider back on. i never pull both fronts out at the same time, leaving one in always.

14. Demented

I doubt there would be room for that without removing more parts from the top of the engine that you really don't need to if you just drop it straight down.

15. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

THIS. vv Timesert > Helicoil

16. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

What the fook does vv mean?

17. Demented

Lame attempt at saying "look down at what I quoted below".

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Don't ya just love it when some one comes on asking for advise and all you get is argument and/or resistance??? :rolleyes: Tdub

19. Demented

That one where the guy wanted a special fuel map to make him get to T1 faster was far better than this.

20. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

That one was almost fun!! :D