bent rim. fixable?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by trevorjohn, Jan 8, 2011.

1. trevorjohn

trevorjohn Well-Known Member

Hit a pot hole and bent both rims. Rear needs replaced but the front still holds air. Was curious to know if this is fixable with some massaging with a hammer or no. I don't really have a whole lot of money so budget is kinda playing a role.
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteKnight01

WhiteKnight01 Racer wahnahbee

It probably could, but unless you may do more harm than good. Try Will's Rim Repair. No personal experience with this shop, but have heard good things. Send the pic to him and get his opinion. He might be able to fix both and he does not seem to be expensive.

3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Will repaired a few for my shop that were far worse than that. Worst case he has to cut and reweld it, but he does an excellent job on even severely bent wheels.

4. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Maybe check your tire too...looks like it took a pretty good lick to do that to the rim. What was the tire pressure?

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

absolutely not.

Will's Rim Repair is probably your best bet, there are other guys out there too depending on where you are.

Depending on what year/model your bike is, it might be just as cost-effective to ebay a new set. No guarantee *those* ones won't also be bent, however.

6. Greenzj

Greenzj Active Member

I would imagine finding a set for sale on this forum, ebay or other forums would be just cheaper or the same price as having those repaired

7. trevorjohn

I got a new rear wheel already for 60 bucks but haven't been able to find a front for less then 150 bucks. Its 04 GSXR 600 too thought I pointed it out but I guess not.

8. SASQUATCH

SASQUATCH New Member

Used front wheels without dents are harder to find than rears for obvious reasons. It's even harder to find older models without a lot of cosmetic damage. Apparently, a lot of people haven't learned how to change a tire without damaging their rim.

Ron does top notch work in our area and I highly recommended him:
    http://www.framestraightsystem.com/

9. mrjett794

mrjett794 Well-Known Member

For ~$100 total - you can ship it to Wills, get it straightened and get it back (5-6 weeks probably)...and it will be STRAIGHT...under .010" TIR. Unfortunately peoples definition of "straight" is pretty loose. Buying used is a roll of the dice - few people know how to pack anything and UPS can make any wheel square if its not packed well.

I'd toss any tire that was hit hard enough to bend a rim.

10. trevorjohn

Wheels are both getting powdercoated regardless it was already the plan. But it looks like i'll be giving wills repair shop a call.

Btw here's the rear
    [​IMG]
    Was riding with my buddies and they both heard.the explosion of the tire popping over there bikes. I have never been so scared on my bike before lol

11. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

You did THAT on a pot hole? :wow:

12. trevorjohn

Yep. Bike leaped in the air about a foot and swiped sideways and I landed on a flat tire doing 70.

13. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

It looks like you have an 04/05 600 or 750? I have an 04 600 and bent (2) sets of wheels riding on the streets. Both sets were fixed by Will Babb at Will's Rim Repair. Send them shits out now if you want them back for spring time though! Oh, and make sure you remove the wheel bearings before you have the wheels powder coated. I didn't do this and ended up getting new bearings.

14. trevorjohn

Yea whee l bearings are geting replaced

15. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

A dead blow hammer might be able to make it look nicer but you definitely want to send them out regardless of being on a budget. I have heard great reviews about MC Wheel in NH.