How do y'all afford track riding?

Discussion in 'General' started by oilfieldtrash, Dec 25, 2010.

1. :wow:

You must ride a small bike.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I rode to the track in my leathers with what I needed in a backpack. It was never father than an hour and a half from home, and I usually had friends at the track who lived pretty close to me.

I'm not recommending anyone do that. The question was "how do you afford track riding?" Well, that's what I had to do in the beginning.

3. MINDOVERMATTER

MINDOVERMATTER You can't see me

I find that almost unbelievable

4. Caper

Caper Well-Known Member

This is really Simple..
    Pimp your wife out...:up:if she really loves you and supports your track days/ hobbies, she will do it without hesitation.:crackup: You will not have time to use her anyways if you spend all your time at the track. :wow:
    Besides...the girls in that field male ALOT of cash. Think of the Bike & Gear you could have then...:clap::Pop:

5. Vince Luvs Da Cock

Vince Luvs Da Cock Well-Known Member

I think we can all mark this up as "what not to do" to afford trackday riding.Do have any useful info on this subject or just stories of "When Men where Men."

6. rick burdick

rick burdick Rick122

Start on a small bike like the others said.Ya dont need a tire shredding,money winning 600 or 1000 to have a blast out there.I rode my 450 to the track over 2.5 hrs away because my ride couldnt go.It was cool,rode there and was circulating in practice by 9! :)

7. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Are you trying out for the new show "When Assholes Speak"?

8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Wow. Lame.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

6 days out of a rear on a 600 isn't a problem if you flip it at the appropriate time. And i'm talking Pilot-Power grade street/track tire, not a race tire. And we're talking trackday, not racing.

I consider myself an intermediate rider; except with STT. They move me to Advanced because "I" is over-booked, and my bike is safety wired. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Some places at an intermediate pace it's possible to get 6 trackdays in on a tire.

Other tracks at an intermediate pace you'd be lucky to 2 trackdays.

Same bike (set up correctly), same conditions, different rider (bike set up for each rider) your results might be very different. My Dad referred to it as "Mechanical Sympathy"....some people just get more out of things without harming them as much.

11. Vince Luvs Da Cock

So riding your bike to a trackday and just bringing what you can fit in a backpack and mooching off others is a option?

12. Vince Luvs Da Cock

So riding your bike to a trackday and just bringing what you can fit in a backpack and mooching off others is a option?

13. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

well it definately wouldnt work for a friendly guy like you...

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup:

15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Yes.

It is actually a better option than alienating yourself from the biggest roadracing forum in the US by acting like a tool.

16. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I had many friends who would eat the meals that I cooked at the track and slept on the extra beds in the rv...not once did I consider it mooching if they were our friends...that's how this community works.

17. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Here's a couple key recommendations that I have done to save money while racing:

Find another racer that thinks they're good enough to use brand new tires every race. Buy their take-offs, and run them exclusively. I still do this, and while my times may suffer by a few tenths, I'm still competitive.

Cherry-pick the nice weather rounds. I only do the dry race weekends, so I don't have to have rain tires or a spare set of wheels (even though I have both now, I still don't care for racing in the rain).

Run a stock engine. Less maintenance overall, slightly easier on tires.

Flip your tires (if possible).

Stay the night at the track instead of a hotel. Sleep in your trailer on an air mattress, or in the back of your van, whatever. Bring your own food instead of eating out or at concessions.

Buddy up with someone else who has a canopy, generator, etc. It's even better if they have the same bike as you do, so you can share spare parts. Even better if you can carpool with someone to the track, that way you won't need to buy a truck/trailer/van right away.

18. Vince Luvs Da Cock

Okay,so if your a nice guy, you could ride your bike to a trackday and if you needed anything or crashed everyone would chip in and provide you with whatever you needed.That option sure is cheap but, i'm the asshole.

19. Vince Luvs Da Cock

WOW

20. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Alright guys, lighten up already. Riding your bike to a track day is not the best idea, but if it's your only real option...

I never had to do it myself but I knew people who did. It wouldn't have been an issue if I'd had to step up and help a buddy out if something bad were to happen.

I would think most of us feel the same way.