1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RJL or SRJL

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Repeater, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Money? RJL pads transformed the braking performance of my 01 F4i. I now have a dedicated track bike 2007 Gsxr 600. The breaks are great but lack the " i have stones holding those steal plates" feeling that the RJls give. Don't get me wrong the GSXr has way better breaks than the F4i but those RJLs have a certain rock feel.

I am about to change pads and wanted to know if the SRJLs are that much better? Probably stupid question usually mo money means mo betta?

Turn one without fear soon!

2. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

IIRC Vesrah has a graph on their website that provides an excellent analysis of their different pads' characteristics... it's well worth looking at to get an idea of which would best match your personal preferences.

3. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

RJLs worked fine the SRJL are not all that great or even better IMO def not worth the extra cabbage. Note your GSXR breakes have some inherent fade issues dont ask me how I know

4. PK

PK Member

I'm a big SRJL fan, lots of initial bite which suits my braking style

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

+1

They also last longer than the RJL so the higher price is slightly deceiving as you won't have to replace them as quickly.

6. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

SRJL as well.

7. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I like brakes. Breaks are not so good.

On my BRAKES I use RJL for track days, and SRJL for racing. Read the Vesrah chart to see exactly why.

[​IMG]

(From the KurveyGirl website)

8. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

:beer:

9. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

That's the graph I was referring to - it really does provide excellent info!
    :beer:

10. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I've been using the RJL's for a long time now. IIRC there is a $100.00 price difference between the two. If the SRJL's get you 4 or more race weekends, I would use them. So far they haven't with my experience so I just use the RJL's.

Tom, how many weekends do you get out of the SRJL's? I guess I should try it again to see for myself.

11. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

The rock feel you are describing is not only associated with brake pad compound...

The GSXR brakes are alright for street use... But, they are kind of numb to feel...

SS brake hoses help some... However, I would suggest a Yamaha R1 Brembo Master and Yamaha R6 Sumitomo Monoblock 4 piston Calipers...

Ebay is your friend to find good deals...

You will need 2mm spacers for the calipers to fit properly. Zoran at www.TWFRacing.com sells these spacer kits...

Then I would go ahead and install the R6 Vesrah RJL pads...

Here is a picture of my setup...

[​IMG]

Regards, Luis

12. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Good info. This sport is a money pit:D

It's so hard not to run up a major credit card bill. Especially when you hit the 4th 5th 6th beer shopping on-line or bidding.

I had to ban myself from gunbrocker.com:up:

13. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

What year R1 / R6.

Funny I'm using an 06R6 throttle tube I'll end up with a Yamazuki in no time.

14. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I believe 05 and newer...

15. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

p

So is that setup that much better I am assuming. You had gsxr calipers first.

16. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Yamaha calipers are some of the best, but I think if you were to replace the calipers, you should probably get a yamaha MC as well (They're fairly decent OEM as I remember).

17. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

I went with an 06 r6 master and it seemed to help a lot... I run the rjl's and ive noticed even with spiegler lines & yamaha master if u let the pads get below what visually looks like half life I'll experience bad fade still.

18. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

What happens with your tires when they get below what visually looks like half life?

They start to lose some grip... And, you will experience some slippage...

I think what you are experiencing with your brake pads is normal... Luis

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I can get three or four solo races out of a set of them. I run the RJL's in sprints on the tracks that only have two or three REALLY hard braking zones, because the superior hot function of the SRJL is kind of wasted if they get cold (relatively) between braking zones. At Summit, for instance, you have heavy braking into 1, 5, some at 8 and 10. There is a lot of distance between those zones, and I don;t feel that the SRJL gets and STAYS hot enough to offset the unpredictability you get when they cool off on you. In a solo race, you will heat soak the rotors and pads to the point that the SRJL will still be hanging in for you at lap 15 or so, where the RJLs would have checked out and gone home.

It might be different if I wasn't a fat, slow old scaredy-cat.

20. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

What does the rest of your braking system consist of? I had great success with RJL, Brembo full floaters, '04 R1 MC, and stainless lines on an '01 GSXR 600. My current has SRJL's, Braking floaters (wave), SS lines, 19x18, and SRJL's. I'm afraid to grab it too hard, talk about G forces!!!

Especially for those (like me) who are visual learners. We can see some come on harder earlier while others take a sec. to heat then pull you down allowing a better settled chassis from less initial hit.