1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin rear tire wear?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by roy826ex, Nov 10, 2010.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

[​IMG]
    Does this look normal? Talladega, 5 sessions on saturday with all in mid 50's air temps. Tire warmers being used. 3 sessions on sunday with temps near 60 and tire warmers used. Last session on sunday it was spinning up pretty bad and I parked the bike loaded up and headed home. I was running 22 PSI in the rear. I just had my suspension serviced by T-man so that is good I assume. Using his settings. This is the 2nd time I have had a rear end up like this both times were 2 day events at Talladega. Rear is a Power Race PRD. Front wear is not bad at all. At Barber the rear never looks this peeled so is it just Talladega doing this? I have been going there for 10 years now and do know the place will chew a tire up. Times were okay on it up until the last session when it began to really spin up. 1:01's to high 1:00's. So is this a problem or not? Suspension off a bit? Or just Talladega and cool temps?

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

looks good to me. 22 cold is good unless it was cold outside when you checked them

3. roy826ex

I checked air pressure both mornings in an enclosed EZ-UP that was heated at 40 degrees. It was 30 outside saturday morning and 27 degrees outside sunday morning. Both mornings I had to top it off to get 22 PSI in the tire. I typically set my pressure cold in the morning and don't touch it the rest of the day. I have used this method now for years. I agree it does not look bad and I have seen way worse. I guess the faster you go the quicker the tire eats away.

4. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

+1

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Ride CMP for 2 days and you'll be horrified at what your tire looks like!

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

what they said.. 2 DAYS of riding on one rear tire? that is a bunch of time on RACE rubber.. that isn't a street/track day tire. It also is a bit softer on the sides with more soft area than the prE. The wear looks impressive, smooth, no tearing. What are you expecting?

7. roy826ex

at least a whole two days :D :Poke:

Deep down I know it looked okay but I have this OCD complex that something is always a miss with my suspension. It did have a little tearing on the left side after the 1st session saturday morning. I might have hammered it too early out of the gate in the cold. I did nothing to the bike or pressure and it cleared up but it warmed up a bit too.

thanks to all :up:

8. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

That method is going to leave a lot of room for error... your hot (on track) temp is going to fluctuate depending on air temp, surface temp, the track, etc. It is best to adjust psi after the tire has come up to temp on the warmer. This will also give you a better base point for making adjustments.

9. if your looking to get rid of your wheel spin then there is one way to really cut it to almost none at all. Get some traction control, I had a problem like yours with a lot of spin coming out of a corner. Put a bazzaz traction control system on my 06 750 race bike and my back tire lasts so much longer now, plus it cut down on my lap times some to.

10. MELK-MAN

.. something will ALWAYS be amiss with suspension. There never is a "perfect" setup. The faster you go, the more tires you will need. You don't need traction control, might be nice, but most get by just fine without. You don't have to set tires throughout the day.. There is alot of reading on this subject, and there may be some benefit to checking your hot temps but your doing just fine for now doing what your doing. That is as clean a tire as you will find.. It is just friggin WORE OUT.

Plenty of riders go very very fast without that or so much as touching a supsension clicker all weekend.. Then there are types that every time you turn around they are swapping shocks, changing fork stuff, adjusting tire pressures, etc. Talk with your suspension guy from time to time, but especially if your saving money on an inferior model Michelin, like the PR series, just set em cold like your doing and have fun! That rear just will not have the side grip the newer Power1 tires have.. but ya gotta open the wallet a little wider.

One thing i did notice was the cold morning temp..and below freezing at night. When it is cold like that, and the afternoon temp is much warmer, you may need to bleed off some air in the afternoon. How much? set a "control" tire race tire on a rim, under your trailer or out of the sundlinght. Set it's pressure with your bike tires in the am, then check that tires psi during lunch. If you saw it go from 22psi to 24 (as air warms it expands), bleed off 2psi from whatever your bikes tires are presently..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

For whatever reason, Tally seemed unusually hard on the tires this last weekend...more than usual anyway! Tdub

12. D03Cobra

D03Cobra Active Member

Dead on with this. If it was really cold the night before and then really warms up in the afternoon, your tire pressures will vary big time. Had a friend set his pressures in the AM, had a cold tear, did not change the pressure and by the last session of the day he had a hot tear. On days like this you really need to check the pressures more often throughout the day.

13. roy826ex

I agree 100% with this. Having rode there for the past 10 years, hot, cold, old configuration and now new it did seem a little rougher this weekend. I usually manage a rear tire a little better. I think I was a little lazy this weekend and over looked a few things a long the way. Had fun though, didn't bin it so that was positive. The tire was never unpredictable to the end which is why I stick with Michelin and have for 10 years now. Spinning can be fun but it is certainly not the fastest way around.

14. roy826ex

Good info! Yes I know the Power Ones are better, I use the Power One "V" up front. Love that tire!! I am not a suspension clicker type. I generally set it the way T-man tells me and roll but I am bad to second guess myself as to if I actually have it right. The changing air temps probably had my pressures off. Lazy me never thought to change it or even check it. I was too cold myself throughout the day and once off the bike I hit the camper until next call. If I went back racing I would definetely use the Power Ones on the rear but for trackday stuff the PR is okay on the rear. I would not use one up front. I may start carrying my No-Mar to the track and just mount up another tire for the 2nd day.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I threw my tires in the fire this weekend to get them warm!!

16. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Looks good to me:up:

17. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

my power 1 B rear has about 90+ laps on it, and i am still making better lap times every day ( the tire has 3 days on it ), and still looks new.

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

At what pace and where?

19. MELK-MAN

don't think that is the way it always will "B" :)
    As your pace gets faster tires wear faster.. The price of lower and lower lap times.

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Off topic but I'll ask it here. I raced all year on Michelin Power One Race V front, B rear on my SV650. I just picked up one of the older Power Race medium rear 160/60-17 which someone was off-loading at a good price. I have no experience with the Power Race tires. It looks like it's dual compound. Should I use this in warmer temps only and at what pressure?