Jorge and the #1 plate

Discussion in 'General' started by Past Glory, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Will Jorge buck the current trend and actually wear the #1 plate in 2011?

i don't know about the rest of you, but I am very tired of the "permanent" numbers that motorcycle racers (be they roadracers or M/Xers) have adopted.

I understand the "marketing aspect" and the desire to maximize earnings through merchandising but doesn't the #1 plate mean anything to anyone any more?

2. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I havent started racing yet, so take this as a comment from a soon to be.......

If I am lucky enough to earn a #1 plate, I doubt highly I will wear it unless forced to. I would think its like painting a target on your tail and parading around saying " I'M THE BEST". I could see it bringing a lot of excess pressure for people to beat you just to feel the accomplishment of beating last years champ. True they could do that anyway, but why advertise?

3. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Hasnt everyone but Rossi wore the #1 in the past decade?

4. SurfingRools

SurfingRools Well-Known Member

I don't see it as parading since you work your ass off to get it.
    If I ever earn one. I'm wearing it.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm not a racer yet either, but I would not wear it.

My thinking is.... that's last year's accomplishment, this is a new year

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Wear it with pride people...you may only get to do it once. If you're Rossi then it's probably like the movie Groundhog Day.

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Nicky, and Casey both wore it.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

After all the time and sweat and money I have spent you bet your ass I would wear a #1 with pride!

9. :crackup:

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

More pressure on others? I thought this is a good thing?

I would think the bigger pressure is on champ, wether that person exhibits Number 1 on his/her bike or not.

11. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I would think your 'boss' (manufacturer) would want their machine to be seen with the #1 on it if at all possible....

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Rossi does wear a number one. A bright yellow one (just to make sure it is not missed).:D

Personally, I would like to see Jorge plate the No. 1 with a subdued 99. (or that is what I would do, if I ever had the opportunity:D)

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

IIRC sometime back Honda was accused of hiring Doug Polen (in 1994) so that they can put the No. 1 Plate on the RC45. Common wisdom was that there was no other way that the RC45 could be adorned in this fashion.:D

Doug won the AMA on the Duc (851/888) in 1993.

14. scottnovick

scottnovick Member

I seem to recall Jorge saying he chose the number 99 because it was the furthest from no. 1, and would represent the biggest change from one year to the next.

15. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

thats what i would do. if i ever earned a no 1, i would have my number on my bike as well, just smaller.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

was that the year he rode for ferracci? wasnt there supposed to be some great vid of him short shifting the bike all aver the place because it was such a cheater? like there was a cam on the tach....and it got released, then someone went "hey....thats not right...."

or am i confusing the story?

17. eboos

eboos Slowski

I still think it was funny that Dani Pedrosa went from his number 26 to number 2 because of his second place in the championship a few years ago.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am not sure about your recollection but I would not be suprise. My own memories are of total Domination by Ferraci.

The only cam shot that is still vivid is that of Doug hitting a hay bale that came off some Nascar track as he was coming off the infield, someone had just crashed in front of him.

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I thought this was the norm.

Colin dropped the 4?

20. SurfingRools

SurfingRools Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to tell in this shot but I liked when Nicky had the #1 full of 69's on the inside.

[​IMG]