1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health and Wellness in America: A query

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Spyderchick, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

I know, right? I eat brats, just not meat based ones. ;)

They're really going to be pissed when they find out I don't eat dairy. Hell, I probably out at least one good dairy farmer out of business in the last year. :D

2. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I want to live well.

I want to die like my grandparent, shot dead or peacefully with little or no trauma. Except for the one that was shot, all my grandparents were active.

One of my grandfather passed away at night after notifying my grandmother that he thought it was over. He died @ 88 with a couple of burgers in him and a bunch of Halloween candies in this belly.:up:

I have always relied on running for health (the road is my shrink).

I think that I have always been driven by what I cannot do. I have never spent much time perfecting what I do well.

In May of 2008, this board indirectly offered me a new challenge.

Ever since then, I have entertained a mostly vegan diet. Occassionally, I have eaten a few vegetarian items (if you ever read a package's content, you would understand).

I challenge myself for a year to strictly vegan diet and completing a 44 mile run (Brew to Brew, KCMO to Lawrence, KS).

That run went to confirm that my performace was not altered or better said, it was not adversely affected by the vegan diet. (to be fair I spent 39 years as a die-hard carnivore.

Last Fall, I took stupid to a new level, averaging 60-85 miles for 8 consecutive weeks, just because. Stupid was burdened by my hamstrings.

For the latter half of 2009, my vegan adherance did not lead to the best of diets. My intake was mostly potatoes and I should have gotten off the diet since I was unable to run. Consequently, I packed on some weight (too much Carbo not enough Cardio).

This year, I decided to rent a place to live instead of staying at a hotel and I can honestly say that I am enjoying cooking and eating like I have not done in a very long time. I do have to say that I my food enjoyment in the couple of years before going to the vegan diet were not great, I was living on the road for some time prior.

In the end the biggest challenge of the vegan diet is that I am not really a vegetarian (I still don't eat lettuce - makes me physically ill, a mental thing for sure) but little by little, I have been able to incoporate other vegetable into my cooking/food preparation.

The biggest change this year has cooking/eating fresh. My refrigerator is mostly filled with liquids/drinks. I go by the local fresh market once a week and the market every other day or so. I stock little.

In my opinion the greatest single factor to staying in shape (performance, not looks) is running. It is the one sure way to ensure to burn more than intake.

A few closing comments regarding the vegan diet, I thought it would be something that I would do for a year. It has been slightly longer since.

I am vegan, not PETA. I am not doing this for political means or emotional gain.

I don't like the way Vegans push the diet. I don't believe in mandates.

I also think that there may be more than one way to achieve individual goals.

Edit - I started training for next year's Brew to Brew, and I plan to entertain the idea of doing the Transrockies run as well (hopefully, with my future wife:D)

3. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

God give me strength...

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Being a pussy would not have gotten me to Lawrence.:D

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

WHo the fuck want to eat healthy and live forever....that's like slowing down the bleeding so you can be whipped longer.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Lawrence might have liked it...

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Do tell!

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I thought she liked her kids?

9. Spyderchick

Truer words were never spoken.

My reasons for going vegan were health related. I have only a handful of living relatives (I can count them on 1 hand), as my family died of heart disease and cancer. Most died before the age of 60, some as early as their 30's. I have bad genetics. Or do I?

I haven't had heart disease, but my blood numbers in May said I was on that path. High cholesterol, high blood sugar, high blood pressure. So far no cancer. How do I stay healthy, forever?

I didn't want to take meds, so I started researching with the words, 'cure' and 'reverse' (regarding disease) in my searches. 20 years of medical research by a handful of doctors revealed some shocking info. You don't need to be sick. You don't need to take meds. You can avoid heart surgery, even if you are a heart attack waiting to happen.

So I followed up the research online, I also checked that research against the most popular meds and treatment to treat disease. You know what? A plant based diet is the most effective way to reverse or prevent disease, almost all 'Western' diseases. More effective and longer lasting than meds, (without side effects) So I tried it, and my neighbor, who was on over 1/2 dozen prescriptions tried it.

Here's the result: For me, normalizing blood numbers, normal blood pressure. My neighbor, Normalizing blood numbers, normal blood pressure, she's only on one med, her anti-depressant. (She had been working with her doctors and they are freaking out as she's 65 and weighs over 350 lbs). Side effect, I cook in my house, so Rog has lost 30 lbs and has normal blood pressure now, it was borderline high before, he still eats some meat and dairy.

What has shocked me most about most processed vegan fare is that it is not any more healthy than any other diet. It's loaded with fat, sugar and processed product, provided it's animal free. I'm not in this for ethical reasons to save animals, I used to like steak. I fear that vegan will become another watchword that food companies will pick up on to push their manufactured poison. I've purchased many vegan cook books that advocate using Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry, (Honestly, I loved that shit). Technically, it's vegan, however, it is in no way healthy for you. Made of processed flours and fats, it has no nutritive value.

So learning to cook in a new way became important. You would think it's not convenient, but with some planning it can be. Hell, what's more convenient than eating an apple? You would think that you would have to give up flavor, but instead, I'm eating fresh, flavorful food at every meal. I don't worry about being bad. I can eat as much as I want. I'm losing weight slowly and have plenty of energy.

So yes, I'm a convert. However, I'm not here to preach to you, I'm here to ask, from real everyday people, why is it that doctors don't talk about lifestyle first to their patients? Why is it they don't at least educate people about this?

We know why Kellogg's Kraft, and Campbell have no interest, they would lose billions of dollars. They don't have your best in mind, even with their 'healthy choice' crapola. Same goes for big Pharma.

And why are people resistant? Because it's supposedly expensive? (it's actually cheaper), Because it's not convenient? (That's true in some instances, but that reflects our culture as well), Is it because people are comfortable with the familiar and hate change? (I'll admit, it's a huge step.)

I'm trying to analyze why this information is out there, but not common knowledge. If someone had told me when I was 35 I could avoid health issues completely, I'm not sure I would have made the change, but I certainly would have listened. And it would have gotten me thinking about 10 years earlier.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The Transrockies run is a two person run (together, not relay). I love the idea of completing, enduring such a run with a women, and proposing. :D

I sent out a email yesterday inquring a response from a hopeful team mate.

I made a mistake in the past with that girl. I took her feelings/situation into account instead of accepting her advances.

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't believe we're better off on a vegan diet. A BALANCED diet yes. For lunch I completely blew that today by eating out with my wife at a completely awesome Chinese restaurant. However, my breakfast was shredded wheat cereal in skim milk, and a banana. Since then I've eaten whole almonds, pineapple, "activia" yogurt, and a "Nature's Valley" granola bar. Had I not gone out with my wife I had some left over pork tenderloin (lean cuts) that would have made up "lunch". I've still got 2 bananas, strawberries, a carrot, and another cup of yogurt to last me the rest of my work day. There are some faults in my food, but mostly that's not a bad take on what most americans eat. I am not nor will I ever be convinced that removing all animal products from our diet is the key to a perfect diet. We're omnivores, have been since the beginning of recorded time. Our bodies were made for it. :)

12. Spyderchick

I thought exactly like you. Yogurt and banana for breakfast. Organic meats in small amounts. Healthy fat through nuts and olive oil. Very little processed food, no fast food. 'Quality' restaurant food. That's what we're told to do, right?

Then wham, I'm throwing blood numbers off the charts. My husband was shocked. He saw what I ate, he was in the grocery store with me when we shopped.

So for those who care, research Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr Neal Barnard, and Dr Calwell Esselstyn, Jr. Research the efficacy of the meds you might be on compared to a diet based approach. Then make up your mind. For me it was a no-brainer. For anyone else, it may not make sense, but at least you will have a starting point if you're interested.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am not disagreeing. I also think that there are founding years and that perhaps every stage of development requires something slightly different.

Since I did not take the Vegan diet for more than just a challenge and 39 years of zero vegetables, I don't think I can say look at me, I am vegan

I did hang around a few vegans and few seemed like they can sustained any activity (other than drinking or smoking pot) for any extended period of time. But I am being a bit unfair with that generalization.

A good example is Tony Gonzalez is a good example of someone is a vegan but I would not classifed as a vegan. He made his decision late, and I think he will be better off than most of his contemporaries. I would hope. The NFL graduates don't have such a rosey future when it comes to weight gain and health.

I have read a bit but not enough to say for sure but if I had any children, I would not endorse a vegan diet. However, meat consumption would be moderate as would portion of any.

I think girls in their development years may risk some health issues on a vega diet (based on readings).

I spend nearly 6 years in my late to middle twenties eating nothing but steak and ice cream and I was between 135 & 145 but the mileage I was putting on the bike and running were ridicolous.

I have always balanced any diet with a lot of fruits and nuts.

One thing to remember is that we are a failing machine. I am not sure if I will be running hardest but I will try to make sure I run fine until I blow a piston/gasket.

14. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

Life. Nobody gets out alive.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I went to the Doctor for the first time in close to 20 years. He said, all is good. This was month before I went vegan.

My blood pressue sometimes borders on the 140-145/90 but it always seems to manifest itself when I am above a certain weight. I can drop my blood pressure to 111/60 after very long runs (and recovery period - 30 to 60 minutes).

I think I have good genetics (comparatively speaking) but I am in no way attempting to challenge it. With the exception of my heart. I think I have push that little engine to its limits a couple of times.

I think the key to healthy living is exercise & small portions. I think Cuba offered a good foundation (for the wrong reasons).:D

I also think that fresh is key. And, like you mentioned, even a Vegan/Veggie diet needs to exerices caution with respect to fats.

In the business side, you are correct, there is little to promote an immediate change. However, like many things, some time may be required.

I see a certain increase in smaller grocery/stores catering to healthy eating but I have notice that it is almost always the same type of individuals doing the purchasing.

In the end, we should be allowed to pursue choices and take ownership of the consequences. I have no business telling anyone not to eat or produce a product. I do have the right not to do business.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Like I said earlier, the question is living well, not long.

I want to go doing someting stupid because I am still able to walk, get out of the house. I hope assisted suicides are in law when I get older, just in case I don't get there well.:D

17. Spyderchick

Thank you for your considered response. I think your last sentence sums it up best.

I guess the issue I have is that it's hard for a consumer to make a choice when they are not aware of all the options.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It sure can be made tasty though....mmmmmmmmm pork fat.

19. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

I've done much of what you're talking about; spyderchick. I've adopted a lifestyle of flexitariansm, which is where I go on-off from eating meat during the week. Usually it's 4-days vegitarian, 3-days non (and those three days are the days in which I hit the gym and can use the extra protein). I cut out all red meat, and 99% of pork (but every blue moon or so, bacon does cripple my resolve). I only eat turkey, chicken, fish, or lamb in terms of meat. My body has never felt better; as a college athlete, I'm in the gym and practicing 5 days a week, playing matches on the weekends. I'm quite sure that if my diet is sufficient enough to provide me with the necessary energy to endure a grueling rugby practice, then it will suffice for those of you who have relegated yourselves to your office drone lifestyles.

I have either a bowl of cereal and a banana OR a protein shake and a handful of almonds with orange juice for breakfast. It's simple and gives me a ton of nutrients and energy for the day. Oatmeal with blueberries and a little brown sugar is also a welcome relief in the winter months.

For lunch, I usually do something with a large amount of peanut butter in it, or a grilled cheese and a pan-full of spinach with a little salt and pepper (again, simple and incredibly cheap actually). It's usually best to eat 4-5 times a day, in this manner as it keeps your metabolism spiked, but make sure to keep it light.

I graze, from this point until dinner- which serves two functions. 1) I keep my metabolism up, but 2) I don't over-indulge at dinner.

For dinner, the dishes range wildly, but ever since I got a kitchen I've been more than happy to cook whatever I find on a recipe website. School food sucks, no other way around it. It's processed, loaded with MSG, sodium, trans and saturated fats, etc.

The benefits from this abound, but I also would like to add that I drink a lot of water and have cut soda from my diet as well (that's the biggest one you guys, fight it!). But, in the end, I heal quickly and am usually ready and up for anything. My body doesn't ache terribly (despite my sport of choosing) and I just generally like the way my body feels.

If you guys need the reasoning behind why I switched, it was a fact in my biology book from sophomore year; it went something like this- "The average American consumes 270lbs of meat per year. The adverse effects of that are that most Americans also have ~ 15-20lbs of undigested fecal material left in their lower intestines, due to the excess". We eat too much meat as a people, it's not even remotely healthy, but we're trained that meat should go with every meal. It doesn't have to, and in-fact, it's pretty unhealthy.

/soapbox

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:D