1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titan or Tundra?

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. TDA

TDA Active Member

I've got a 2010 Tundra. The MPG is ~15-16. The truck is terrific overall. Lots of room. Drives well and very stable. No problem pulling a 7500lb trailer.

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I had to make the same call in 2005, test drove both, went 4.7 Tundra, now it has 120K on it, don't regret it.
    But..had to buy myself a personal used 2001 base Tacoma 2wd reg cab to get 24 to 33 mpg.

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

It's been a while since I drove a Ford. Their newer V8s probably have a lot more power than the older series. Also, my local Ford dealer had nothing but very high end F150s on his lot so the prices were steep.
    The Titan seems to handle better than the Tundra. A firmer ride and less movement in the chassis. The Tundra is softer. These are both 2wd trucks I'm talking about. Nissan has $4000 rebate that Toyota doesn't. Also, I can get a higher end package for less money with the Nissan. Heading up to Sanford this morning to see what those dealers will offer me.....

4. Dizzle

Dizzle Well-Known Member

Nobody on here has ever had a water pump issue with their Tundra?

5. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

I have an 08.5 Titan 4x4 King cab and love it. In 45K miles the rotors warped twice and I brought it in for a recall even though I was not having a problem. I get between 15 and 16 MPG mixed and 9-10 towing the toy hauler. Would I buy another one yes.

My buddy has a 2010 double cab Tundra 4x4, My opinion which means nothing is that I dont like the way they look inside and out. I do like the 4 doors on the double cab and it does seem to have more room inside, but I can put my bike in the bed straight and shut the gate, he cannot. He has only owned it 3 months but no issues yet. He also pulls the same toy hauler and it does fine.

Would I buy one, no. I cannot get over the looks

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

2010 double cab TRD with 5.7L and tow package. Awesome truck so far. I have 7500 miles on it and began towing my toy hauler the 3rd day I had the truck with 150 miles on it. Toy hauler loaded is 6300# plus minus a few 100. Truck does okay, 8-9 mpg towing at 65-70 mph. Commuting to work 90% highway I get between 17-19 mpg depending on how much I end up going through city traffic. The 6 speed tranny with tow haul button is cool when towing. The truck thinks for itself. If you need to manual shift it you simply flip the stick into "S" mode. Ride is on the firm side with the TRD version. Plenty of room in the double cab IMO but we don't have kids. I bought mine when they were offering 0%, hard to beat that.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Why not try out a used older Toyota? I bid my time and waited/watched until the right deal came up. I got an 05 Sequoia, loaded, with 40k miles for 15k OTD. Remove the seats and fold up the 2nd row, put in a twin mattress and have a nice bed! That's what we often do. Tows just fine with the typical MPG everyone else gets. The 05 has an upgraded tranny and engine over the previous years, but still not as good as the 5.7...but for 15k for a loaded SUV who can complain. :)

8. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

I also wanted to mention that on the Titan SE model and up if the truck does not have tow mirrors it does not have a tow package. It seems that many people buy a titan with a hitch and think it has the tow package. To get the tow package on 09 or 2010 you must buy the value and premium utility package.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  9. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Why? You should really take some time to drive one.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The Mega Cab 1500 is built on the 2500 frame. Everything is the same except you are minus 2 leaf springs in the rear (which subtracts towing capacity) and the lower ratio rear end. The Heavy Guty trucks did not get the MDS either so that hurts MPG, but not much. I get about 11 in the city and 15-16 on the HWY (I drive slow.) With my trailer SA 6x12 I average 11.5 from Kentucky to Barber and RA.

11. jcclx1

jcclx1 Well-Known Member

I work at World Toyota in Atlanta and can get you a deal on a Tundra, if that is not too far away. PM me if you have any interest or questions.

12. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If you're a car guy you'll love the Ridgeline...I know it has a truck bed on it but it's not a truck.

I used to sell them and actually planned to buy one but I need a 1/2 ton to get my truck allowance with work. They're really nice and functional but I think the 5,000 lb. tow rating is a bit optimistic and it is essentially a front wheel drive truck until they slip. My in-laws have 85,000 miles on theirs with no complaints.

13. bus

bus Monkey with a football

The best truck I've ever owned was a Dodge 2500 w/ the Cummins in it. I wish I hadn't sold it. With that said, between the Titan and Tundra, I'd go with the Titan. I've always had great experience with Nissans and the folks I know that have Titans love them. I'm not much of a Toyota fan. F Ford. Those bastards have left me stranded too many times to ever own another.

14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have an 08 Tundra with 125,000 Km on it. The thing still feels new. Steering is tight, no vibrations, and no rattles. The only issue I have ever had is the power steering pump went out at 90,000km. Other then that the truck is flawless. Pulls a 9000lb trailer with no problem, and still is nice to drive around town. I put a cap on the bed and got a bit better gas milage. The only complaint is that the bed is short, but it is a small price to pay for that massive back seat area.

15. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the 95 RAM I had was the worst vehicle I have ever bought. The 12 valve cummins didn't have enough power to pull the truck and a 5000 lb camper through hill on 95 at more then 35 mph. Had a problem with front hubs, replaced them 3 or 4 times each, trans started slipping at 107000 miles. A friends dad had a 96 and had 6 transmissions in his in 75000? Miles. His truck was so bad dodge gave him a lifetime warranty on transmissions. Everyone I know that has a dodge has had transmission or over heating problems. They ride like crap, the only thing they do well is off road. I have had 3 f150's, 2 rangers, 2 explorers, and 2 mustangs. I have yet to have a problem with words. The 88 f150 had 350k, and had 1 engine and maintenance items, the 98 f150 had 175000 miles and only needed and a/c compressor and maintainance. The 05 had an injector stick on warranty, but ran good till I got rid of it at 50k to eliminate the $600 payment. The 97 explorer has needed nothing in 166k and the wife is driving it. The 01 explorer has 160k and my mom has it, still running good. Still have both rangers the 98 and 03 both have 130k+ and run great. And I have both the 65 and 76 mustangs, both run good but just need normal upkeep.

16. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

I bought a Tundra 5.7L 2WD TRD this summer
    Most all of the north TX area dealers were giving $6000 off sticker (compared about 20 dealers via emails in N Texas)
    Truck is great - glad I got the 5.7L - very powerful :D

17. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've got a 2004 Titan Crew Cab 4x4 and love it. If you take care of them and keep them serviced they will be great. I've got 92,000 miles on mine and drive it everyday. The Titans get a bad image sometimes because guys buy them and think you have to do burnouts and drag race them all the time. Most of the Titan forums are covered with "kill stories" where they raced something else and "won". People beat the piss out of them then complain to Nissan that it broke. Its a truck. If you do a burnout everytime you pull out the differential will probably fail.

If I didnt have the Titan I would have bought a Tundra. Both are equally good in my book.

18. bus

bus Monkey with a football

Dodge did have alot of transmission and drivetrain problems in the 90s but that was across the board, not just the trucks. I had a 2000 and an 03 half ton and an 06 2500 with the 24v Cummins. Never had any real problems. The defroster damper/blend door thing in the 03 got wacky and they fixed it under warranty and I went too long between draining the water separator on the diesel once and got water in the fuel rail. THat was scary. Again, fixed under warranty. The 2 half tons went well over 100k miles before I traded them in. The diesel was just under when I sold it. All of them used to haul and tow a lot and all of them used offroad very regularly. Basically, I beat the snot out of them and they kept on going.

19. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

Datsun or Toyota?

Toyota always.

20. mattg

mattg Well-Known Member

i got a 2010 f150 FX4 for invoice in march, there are sales happening now that you should be able to get one way cheaper. I paid around 34k.

a 2011 added manual mode to the trans, or the ecotech v6.

i'm getting around 20mpg in mine, bone stock. I drove all 3 domestic trucks, this was by FAR the best.