1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

total loss with electronic ignition okay

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 70yamahaR5, Jul 30, 2010.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

I've been reading the threads and talking to people at the track about running a total loss system in vintage. I'm ready to switch to a total loss but still have a couple questions: 1) Does the fact that I'm running a Dynatek electronic ignition instead of points significantly affect the time between charges? (I suppose it may actually improve it.) 2) I'm seeing people recommending batteries like the Yuasa YTZ7, but aren't those just regular batteries? Maybe it doesn't matter, as long as you use a good battery. Thanks

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Big coils firing big spark plug gaps kills batteries

3. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

You can go lithium-ion or lead acid, each have their own benefits and drawbacks.

4. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I changed my Bridgestone to a Dyna S system and it runs the battery down faster than the points did. It appears that the dwell time (crank degrees that current flows through the coils) is longer with the Dyna S than with the points. I use a big heavy 12 AH battery from a CB750 and it still runs about 2 days at the track. Your battery life will depend on coil resistance, dwell, battery size and how low your voltage can go and still get good spark, so you'll probably just have to use trial and error unless you can gather some good current flow data on your bike ahead of time.