1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leather suit reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by mdr14, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I am in the market for a new suit. So what brands are good, what are the brands to stay away from etc and so forth.

Fit, finish , crash worthiness etc.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Syed FTW!!!

I've also had a Dianese hold up really well in a get off.

4. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Go custom. Not as expensive as you might think.

5. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I've tried on 3 suits in the last 2 years and my favorite thus far is the Teknic Xcelerator suit. Guys from Honda East Toledo are offering a great deal on them, and the build was much much better than the similarly priced Alpine Stars suit and typically I'm an Alpine Star nut.

Edit: just realized I was being very vague...my previous Alpine* gear fell apart at the seams quite often, not from falling off the bike, just regular use. I'm not sure if it was caused by a lack of care for the leather on my part...all I've done with most suits is let them air out after a day's use before putting them away. Either way, my first 'MotoGp' branded suit seemed to fair better than the A*.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. stealth 52

stealth 52 Yank

i also have a teknic and it held up for 4 years. money worth spending. i just bought a heroic and i must say it fits well and looks good but never seen the pavement yet. only thing i didn't like about the heroic is the neck piece has leather in it and after a long day it seems to rub a bit to much. i'm gonna put some fabric over it and it should be fine.

7. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Had Teknic, crashed 5 times and did it's job everytime. RC Taichi, 2 crashes and held up great, more comfy suit as well. But costs a lot more than my Teknic. My next suit will be Heroic...GREAT SUITS...great customer service.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  8. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

+1 on the Taichi stuff. Highsided to the moon and it's ready for more (not that I ever want more)

9. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I just received my taichi from stg today.....impressed so far. Big thanks to stg on helping me out.

10. UberRacing

UberRacing Well-Known Member

RS-Taichi also! Couple of friction tests and going strong.

11. HEROICRacing

HEROICRacing Well-Known Member

Thanks Drew... I love the sport...

12. Prof._HH

Prof._HH Well-Known Member

I bought a Frank Thomas suit from Kevin (of rentmyninja fame) at Tally last year. It was pretty easy on the checkbook. He had several to try on and it's held up pretty well for a few off road experiences.

The legs from the knee to ankle are a bit long but I've had that issue with the couple suits I've tried.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Komodo FTW. Even BB and Spyderchick have talked about the high quality Komodo carries. :up: And the trackside support is 2nd to none. :beer:

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

:stupid:

This is a big plus.

15. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I started off with an AGV that was put on steroids after Barnicle Bill worked on it and it was an ok suit with 6 crashes on it. Biggest problem was there were way too many seams. I now wear an RS Taichi EVO suit and feel that it is as good as any suit you can put on your body. I have only lowsided it in the grass and it did well but I have seen MANY RS Tiachi suits that have been crashed hard multiple times and have held up like steel!

16. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

ive lowsided 2 x minor and 1 major. my A* suit is now pretty banged up (thanks to the last one) and the only repair needed is to the shoulder after a 3rd gear high throttle front end tuck. my shoulder got seperated, but the suit held up awesome. when it needs to be replaced i will purchase another A*

17. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Teknic all day and all night. Best bang for the buck you can get. Crash after crash they hold up and come back for more. Just don't buy their mega-cheapo entry level one (the Chicane). Stay with the Violator, the Xcelerator, or if they still make it, the Speedstar.

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Lots of good choices out there. RS Taichi is outstanding and the new Held suits are tops as well.

I am full custom only so I use Z Custom and Gimoto.

19. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I am on my second custom fit Spartan suit. Due to my build off the shelf fits like crap.

I was impressed enough with the quality to buy a second suit from them.

The owner Dave is quite a stand up guy.

http://www.spartanleathers.com/

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My A* survived a pretty long slide on the pavement on my back. One word of warning, during the slide the stretch material eventually failed where it meets the leathers and exposed my backside. Spyder Leather Works replaced it with some better stuff after that. I think all A*s suits use this same stuff. That was a couple of years ago. Recently I had to take the suit back to her because the stitching was coming undone in a few places (luckily I am local so no shipping). My next suit will not be A*s and it may not be that long before I go search it out.