1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on engine modifications

Discussion in 'Tech' started by R1Racer99, Jun 10, 2010.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm on an '07 GSXR 600 and the first weekend of the year it dropped a valve and blew up. So I'm looking to see if my new plan is a good one. I'm buying a used stock motor with 8,000 street miles on it because it was cheap, my plan is to have a Yosh head gasket put in, the cams degreed, valves adjusted, and the rest of the motor inspected. So will an otherwise stock motor with this done plus a full system and kit ECU make pretty good power or should I have anything else done while it's apart? I don't need 125 hp or anything but I need it to be competitive and reliable. Can someone tell me what kind of gains I can expect from this combo over stock?

The second question for anyone with Yosh ECU experience is, how much power can usually be gained by custom tuning? I ran the base map last year and it made decent power so I was thinking about testing it with the base map again to make sure the a/f is okay and skipping the tuning.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Fueling is where you'll get your power gains. A good dyno tuner is well worth his price.

For the motor work, yeah, that'd be decent. As far as I can tell that's about as much as you can do to your motor and keep it SS-legal, anyway.

3. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

Find someone that KNOWS how to work with the EmPro to tune your motorcycle. Have your tuner connect a mapswitch and make you 2 maps. Pump fuel and GOOD race fuel. You can have a really reliable motor and run it on pump when HP isn't of huge importance... then dump in some GOOD fuel and flip the switch to go racing.

There is no substitute for a well tuned bike... spend your $$$ with a reputable tuner that will make you full custom maps.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you have the head off for the gasket, get a competition valve job done. This will also allow someone experienced to inspect the valvetrain components for wear.

5. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

What Rick said , if you have the head off a competition valve job is a very good ideal.

6. Cajun

Cajun North of Phillip Island

sorry to hijack your thread r1racer but somethign i been meaning to ask is simlar

i have a gsx-r 600k4, i have owned since new its been my road/track bike, but now its pretty much gonna be my track bike, bike has done about 38000miles, oil changed every 3000miles with shell(rotlex) fully synthenic motorcycle oil.

Bike currently runs a em-pro, with bmc air filter, full yoshi rs3 system
    I have in a box yoshi cam(2-hand)/headgasket(new)/cotters(new) to go in the motor when i get it freshened up shortly, one thing that i am unsure about is yoshi valve retainers, they are like US$700 to me in New Zealand. which is alot when i can get stock retainers for a 1/3 of that amount.

Bike does not have to be ss legal,

Cheers