The Barber Report.

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by vw151, Mar 18, 2010.

1. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

I've got a bit of a cold so I've been slow to respond this trip.

No less where do I begin.

We actually had a huge group of people go down and ride barber this time.

From Desmohio

Joe - GSX-R750
    Steven GSX-R600
    Mike 1098S

Rick 749
    Todd 675

Eric 900SS

Then there were some people Rick and I met in Carolina and their friends, some of which were STT instructors in the north.

Jason R1
    Christi GSX-R600
    Mike GSX-R600
    Brad CBR1000RR
    Jerry R6

And a few of Ricks Friends from Nationwide I believe came alont too

John and Eddie on their matching red 675s

Andrew on his Superhawk

Anyway Saturday was sunny, rainy and cloudy on a 20 minute rotation. Never rained enough to really make the track wet though. Temp was probably 55 all day or so. I had a lot of fun Saturday. I'm still pretty slow in the advanced group but it's way more fun to ride with those guys.

Rick lowsided in session 2 coming out of turn 5 but it was pretty minor, he though he'd be able to get back out pretty easily but the false neutral problems that had last season returned and that ruined his weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jason lowsided his R1 in the same spot but you couldn't even tell since had already been down on that side of the bike 2 times. He just re teched and kept riding.

Otherwise Saturday was just a fun time.

Sunday was less eventful in terms of wrecks

Steven really shaved some time Sunday getting down to a 1:49 I believe. I think Mike was actually having trouble staying with him coming out of some corners of course the 1098 had no trouble reeling him in on the straights.

I had some scary moments where my bike tried 2 kill me 2x on Sunday. Session 2 before lunch my Carbone Lorraine C44 brake pads literally came apart completely. I completely lost brake pressure in the front until I the pad back plate could make up the distance to the rotor. That was an ass puckering experience. Here are some pictures and a quick video of the incident. You can see the brake pad material completely separated from the back plate. In the video you can see my brake lever pull back to the clip on repeatadly. I am going to make a much better carbone lorraine smear video to help let other riders know to buy something more reliable. This is a huge safety issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT67Y1H2gT0

So, that was the first time my bike tried to kill me that day. I managed to get ahold of some new race pads from Mark the head STT guy and get back out on the track only missing 1 session after lunch. The 2nd session I got out my throttle decided to stick at the end of the front straight. Luckily the straight isn't really too long and I wasn't pushing too hard so I might have been going 120-130mph tops. I let off the throttle and grabbed a handful of brakes and the rear end started bucking around. Luckily I stayed calm and pulled the clutch lever in and rode the bike to a stop right off the edge of turn 1 and stopped right before the grave. I have this on video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91J4GODXQec

I decided to call it quits for the day after that. I was pretty tired and had enough of my bike trying to help me find my way off the track.

Mike and Steven rode out the rest of the day and we all packed up and headed home. This was probably the most fun I've had at Barber yet. We met a lot of good people and there was always someone to ride with out there.

Anyway here are some pictures. I'll have more videos soon. I am working on getting adobe premiere installed as windows movie maker doesn't seem to like the mp4 files these new HD gopro cameras use and it was just the little bit of motivation I needed to move forward and try out some more robust video editing software.

2. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

More pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

4. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

5. nunukii

nunukii Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that!!! Thanks

6. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

Barber pics

Thanks for sharing..................looked a little chilly.:up:

7. racenrub

racenrub Active Member

agreed, looked a lot like the pits at daytona. chilly as heck.

8. MG - 242

MG - 242 Member

Sweeeeet! Thanks, man - nice meeting everyone this weekend!

9. Rumple4Skin

Rumple4Skin Well-Known Member

Barber is an incredible facility..................saw the AMA races there last year.
    Wish I didn't live so far away......:(

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Sure can tell the STT rider meeting regulars...bring your chair:)

[​IMG]

11. mysticblu999

mysticblu999 Active Member

Found myself in the riders meeting pics. Man sunday was cold as hell and windy. I spent alot of time hiding from it in my trailer

12. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

Yah, Sunday was supposed to be the good weather day. Between the cold and my bike trying to kill me I'd say I enjoyed Saturday better.

13. Jroctx

Jroctx Member

Thanks for sharing. Me and large group from Texas will be heading over in August.

14. mysticblu999

My weekend didn't have my bike trying to kill me like yours but it sure as hell didn't want to go around the track. Ran like shit all weekend. Only got like 6 laps on Sunday. Saturday was the best for me. Alot less crashes too.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Carbonne Lorraine is most definitely off my list at this point. Sweet pics man!

16. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Obviously you people have never ran Pocono in April before. ;-)

I don't see any snow or sleet on the ground, so quit your bitchin. :D

I like those dramatic shots with the clouds and sun sitting low in the sky. Very cool effect you captured there.

17. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

Gotta give credit to the track photographer there, I took them off his free photo downloads.

18. mysticblu999

I have those same pads. I think mine are called c55 or something. The site I got them from said they replaced the c44

19. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

Wow my yellow jacket really stands out in a crowd! Along with my insane hair. Can you tell I was cold at the meeting on Saturday? I'm all cowered down in the jacket with the hood up. Haha! I'm from south MS so 50 is FREEZING to me.

20. vw151

vw151 Well-Known Member

Supposedly the issue has been addressed. I still need to speak with the US distributor and I'll share the details when I do.