1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi auto target rifles - expert opinions needed:

Discussion in 'General' started by Shyster d'Oil, Dec 26, 2009.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

because you can buy and kill stuff with the smokers I linked to.:tut:

2. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Going after something in 308Win. I am looking at the Remington R-25. They're one of the new kids on the block with AR type rifles. One of the few making them in 308. Same basic configuration as an Armalite AR10t but with RealTree camo and a lower price tag. I can deal with the camo finish for the price, which is at about $1300. Takes the DPMS 30 cal magazines too.

[​IMG]

3. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

I didn't realize those were that "cheap". 1300 bucks for a .308 is not too shabby at all. I might start looking for a used one:up: As for the camo... that's what duracoat is for:)

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Veering slightly off topic, could you guys throw out some suggestions for a rimfire auto that would be good for accurate plinking at 70-100 yds with a decent scope? What would have the most energy upon arrival? 22 mag? I'm not too current on this category. Any help would be appreciated. btw, I've got an A-bolt 270 Win mag I'm going to list if anyone's interested.

5. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

A lot of folks like the Ruger 10/22's, I currently have a Marlin model 60C that I have a scope on and can shoot the staples off my target at 100 yds, it's all about practice. A lot of folks also like the .17hmr, but it's a little more expensive :)

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Thanks, I read a couple of good things about the Ruger. The .17 seems a little exotic if you're looking for ammo in bumfck but maybe it's more common than I realize. Any suggestion for a solid lwt scope for that size piece? I know Leupold is trustworthy. Haven't looked at the smaller models.

7. Captain Squid

If you're only shooting at 100 yds, it doesn't HAVE to be expensive, BUT once you shoot out to 100 yds, you're going to want to go further and further, trust me :crackup:

Leupold, Bushmaster, SWFA SS, Burris, Bushnell, Trijicon. just depends on what you want to spend.

8. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Is .22lr accurate past 100 yards? Thats a good distance for some small caliber target shooting.

9. Captain Squid

Depends on the shooter, if I am shooting, then no, it's not :crackup:

10. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

What I was really wondering is at what point does a match grade .22 round lose accuracy? 300 yards?

11. Captain Squid

Prob closer. I'd say 150-200 yards and you could stay pretty consistent, but at 175-200 yds, it's going to drop quite a bit
    Farther than that, and you are going to run into more things to factor in than just aiming high.

BUT on the upside, it's .22 ammo, try a brick of it out at 300 and you're only out $25 :D

12. nycstripes

Most 22 Rimfire matches are shot at 50 yard distances. 100 yards is OK for 22LR when you're plinking, but real accuracy will be from a closer distance.

13. nycstripes

You're correct about the 17HMR ammo being a little exotic in remote areas. Its even hard to find 22Magnum rimfire ammo in those areas.

When it somes to optics, you get what you pay for. This is a base model Leupold that will fit the bill well. SWFA is a great company to deal with too.
    http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x28-VX-I-Rimfire-Riflescope-P3260.aspx

14. nycstripes

50 yards is generally the distance for rimfire shooters. 100 yards really tests your knowledge of reading the wind with a 22LR cartridge. The 17HMR is accurate out past 150 yards when the wind is cooperative. I have taken a CZ452 rifle in 17HMR to Wyoming on prairie dog shoots and made shots past 160yards. Unfortunately the ammo is expensive and sometimes hard to find. For that distance, I would keep a centerfire 22 in mind.
    Look at the 22 Hornet cartridge. 22 Hornet is accurate, small, recoil friendly and reloadable. Its definitely effective past 100 yards. 222 Remington or 223 Remington is also an option because ammo is so plentiful in quantity. Accurate too.
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13987_14246_14272

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  15. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Thanks stripes. Yea I was thinking that at some distance wind would greatly effect .22lr's accuracy.

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. That's a big help.

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've never had any difficulty finding .17HMR ammo. It also isn't any more expensive than match grade .22 ammo and .17HMR ammo is just about as good as match grade 22 ammo and much better past 50 yds. If your just plinking cans then the 22 is just fine, just not all that accurate. If you read through earlier pages in this thread you'll see there are some that have gotten less than one inch groups at 100 yds with a stock .17. Mine will do it if I do my part, and all I've done to my marlin is clean up the trigger.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

a .22 at 100yds? you can almost count the seconds to impact.
    might as well be a pellet gun, and i don't mean that in a condescending way.

i don't remember the specifics when i started with the nra, it was 1972.

single shot .22 w/ peep sights at 50ft.
    10x was a .22" ring.
    you had to hit the 10x five times.
    a sheet had 5 bullseyes. i don't remember what scores/how many times you needed to advance but...
    then the 10x went to a pinhole at 50ft. dudes, the whole black target was a pinhole through peep sights at fifty feet. :D
    pretty much, you had to score a 10x on each shot thereafter to advance again.
    we moved and i didn't stick with it but, i do like marksmanship.

my favorite is a package i got at a gunshow from two guys out of raleigh for about $1100 back in the mid 90s. ironically, these two gun guys' names were tommy thompson and jimmy heater. :cool: anyway, they put together a rem 700bdl .308 hbvs w/ adjusted trigger, floated in a bell&carlson stock and topped w/ a redfield le9. it's still a tack driver after idk how many thousands of rounds. five rounds of belted ball at 100yds into steel and i only hear three hits. the last two rounds go through the hole made by the first three. so, we're talkin' .6 moa?
    steppin' up to farther distances is problematic. it requires that i go to the range alone, with discipline and dedicated ammo.
    pffft. fuck that. we(half-dozen or so) usually get together and just blow away anything and everything that gets thrown downrange. it's a barrage, from 10 yards to over 600, we just blow shit up. :D

btw, +1 for that .308 package a couple pages back for @$1100...that's a good starter deal.

19. lvbluer6

lvbluer6 Well-Known Member

i've opted for the remington 700 sps tactical, instead of the fnar. now deciding on scope, rings, and bases is another story :eek:

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The .17HMR stuff is much easier to find these days. More of a demand now. Three years ago when I bought mine there was only one company making the rounds and that was Hornady. Yeah they were sold under different manufacturers' names but they were all made by Hornady. I'm not sure if that's still the case but I do know that they aren't as hard to find as before and the price has dropped quite a bit. Not as cheap as .22lr but not bad for the amount of fun. :up: