1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your best response to someone lowballing you.

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, Jan 30, 2010.

1. toptaz1000rr

toptaz1000rr Well-Known Member

after 6 or 7 emails basically telling him i would not he should have gotten the point ..

its not like on the first email i did that ...
    you have your opinions... and are entitled to them...
    CL has scum offering 50.00 for something listed for 600..
    thats a dick move on its own ..

2. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I just sold my R6. The first dude that came to look at it ended up buying it so it was a pretty good sale in that regard.

When he was there to check it out, he asked me if there was any flexibility on price and i said that there was. He asked me how much (sorta like asking, whats the lowest you'll take). I had it listed at $6800obo with the hopes of getting $6500. I told him $6500 was the magic number. He said ok, he'd think about it and get back to me within 24hrs. The next morning, about 8hrs later, he said $6500 was ok and he wanted to come over and give me a deposit.

Kind of annoying, but i ended up getting what i was hoping for so in the end i'm happy and it was an easy sale.

3. toptaz1000rr

just for this ill send you 2... pm your addy lol ...

4. toptaz1000rr

no worries by me...
    like i said when the guy was hounding me with emails... that was my decision to make..
    when you are in that situation you do what you want to do :rock:

5. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I told one guy, 'you're in your own little world and you can stay there' :)

6. jdwilliamson33

jdwilliamson33 Well-Known Member

I usually dont waiste my time with offers that are that low. But If I do waste my time I usually say
    Buyer: I will give you X amount for your bike (a low offer)
    My repley: I am sure you and a 1000 other people would also.

7. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

Low ball offers are just a negotiation tactic. If you are willing to negotate counter with something you are comfortable with. If not, come back with some sort of witty comback, or ignore it. But if you agree to it, make someone drive an hour and change the deal. You deserve to get your ass kicked.:down:

8. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

ive had some people try to pull some stupid shit.

i was selling my truck, had it listed at $9000... had contact with a guy, talked to him on the phone, he offered me $7000, i told him absolutely NOT.. i would do $8000 bottom line, lowest im going. he agrees, so i agreed to meet him halfway to deliver, which was an hour out of town for me. we meet up, he hops in and we go for a test drive and hes sold on it. so he pulls out a wad of $100s and starts counting.... "awww shit man, i must have miss counted it, i only have $7000" ok buddy, get out, gimme a call when you find the other 1000, and you can make the trip to pick it up at my house. hes like "you drove all this way, im offering you 7000 cash, and you wont take it? your dumb man"...... no im not dumb, i told you i wouldnt go lower than 8000 which is 1000 lower than what i really want, and you try to pull this shit on me... i got in the truck and left. pissed me off

9. toptaz1000rr

good for you ..

10. toptaz1000rr

i had that happen as well .. when i used to build mustangs.. i had a procharger when they FIRST came out ... had a customer buy a full race 6000 setup ... then lost his job..
    asked me to help him sell it to recoup some money..

listed it local papers before CL was around...
    had a guy call .. offer 2000... told him .. no less then 4500 it was BRAND NEW in the box..
    he agreed... we met.. he pulled out 2500 and some excuse... i walked away .. he said well its 'something' .. and as i walked away i said call me when you get the rest and are ready to go fast.. otherwise check garage sales

11. doc750

doc750 Well-Known Member

I wold have snatched a C note out of his hand for the gas ....

12. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I simply dont reply or tell the guy that if I dont sell it within a week or so and then post it on eBay, and if it doesnt sell on eBay I will let him know.
    However I once did get an offer of $400 or so for an item I was selling for $800. I replied to the guy "$150 and we have a deal". The guy actually got a little pissed at the beginning but later on played along lowballing me even more. To make the story short the guy finally offered me a decent price but by then I had sold the item to another guy. Thats when he got really pissed but at himself. I dont mind lowballers but sometimes they really exaggerate, makes me feel like im a crack head or something

13. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

I have actually used this one

I was selling a car that was listed for $2850 and some guy offered me either $800 or $1200 can't remember the excat price but this is what I responed with.

"I would set it on fire in my front yard and watch it burn before I sold it for that price"

14. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

Then he deserves to get his ass kicked. In both cases, once a deal is done, it should stay done, unless the item in question wasn't as described. :beer:

15. fluffer4jared

fluffer4jared Well-Known Member

I had a friend find a boat on craigslist. Calls the guy makes a deal on the phone for it. He drove all the way to Atlanta which is almost 4 hours away to pick it up and the dude says well the trailor the boat is on isnt mine its actually my girlfriends and she doesnt want to sell the trailor. The guy didnt offer to make a different deal or pay for his gas down there. So he spent almost 8 hours in driving and probably $70 in gas on his day off... You should have drove him to the nearest bank and told him to make a withdrawal or walk.

16. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

A price was negotiated & agreed & then one party tried to change the price at the time of the sale.
    That's a dick move, regardless if it was the seller or buyer.

Someone needs to get that through the head of some people in this thread.

If i as the buyer met a seller somewhere & the seller pulled some shit like what has been outlined in this thread in order to get back at me because he didn't have the guts to just say 'no' & ignore my offers, instead pretended to take my offer & make me drive to him in an act of vengeance, you can bet that i would make it my own personal crusade to make that guys life 10 times more miserable than he made me that day & to make it worse, i'd do it without breaking a single law.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What gets me is the 1/2 price offer via email when they haven't even looked at the item. Thats lowballing. Pic up the phone and feel the situation out.

If I'm gonna lowball someone it's after I look at the item, and I'll do it in person. I'm OK with getting a no to my offer or telling someone no but the wimpy shit gets to me.

The 1/2 price emails usually get an I'll pass, or I double the price.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

but that's kind of the point of the 1/2 price email. It is unobtrusive and takes very little of the seller's time. They're not bs'ing them, making them jump through a bunch of hoops, etc.. They're just looking for the guy that needs the money or doesn't need the hassle of trying to sell.

19. jdwilliamson33

jdwilliamson33 Well-Known Member

I have sold a bunch of stuff nd I learned early not to meet anyone. Guys dont show up, they are 2 hours later than they said they would be and if you have traveled any amount of distance and time they have the "upper hand" to low ball you on the agreed price.

20. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I sold a Penske shock on the WERA bbs back in November. Listed it for $800, IIRC. Most of the contacts were lowballers, guys who post here all the time. Most offered $400-500. Finally sold it for a reasonable price, $650 if remember right. The guy was decent.

I bought a 2005 GSXR on the WERA bbs a year ago. I made one offer, $500 under toe advertised price, the seller accepted my offer. Drove all the way to Detroit for it. Paid IN ADVANCE, waited for the check to clear, etc. Done deal.

If somebody lowballs me, I just say "No, thanks."

Everybody seems to think that when you are selling something you must be up against the wall and they can fuck you at will.