anyone here race/own a zx9r and....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jlzrx, Feb 23, 2003.

1. jlzrx

jlzrx Member

change the shift pattern to gp style? if you did please tell me how?

2. GRN_MACH

GRN_MACH Active Member

I'm considering it on my 6r, which is close to your 9r. I tried to flip the linkage but it would have to be cut and extended to clear the case cover,flipping only works (i think) on the 7r. anyway, your better option would be to order rearsets and request the gp shift patten. just give a call to 1-888-fastlap and they should be able to help you out.

3. novice52

novice52 there, but not really

i have a zx6r and all you have to do is flip the linkage over. the only clearance problems you will find is with the sproket cover. find a way to cut a small 2-3" hole and your in buisness. (that is only if you want to keep the cover)

4. jlzrx

jlzrx Member

i did cut the sprocket cover, its not the issue anymore, but the frame is. I had someone make me blocks that will move my stock locaation back 1" and up 1". if you look at the frame it bows out when you move up so the shift boss/arm whatever you want to call it does not sit fully on the sift drum its off about a 1/4.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Have you got your footpegs located where you want them and the frame clearance is the only issue? I'd just shop for or bend a shift rod to work. My experience with this is from converting an R6 over the GP shift and therefore running the shift rod outside the frame instead of through the frame access. Try Woodcraft-cfm.com or give them a call because they sell shift rods for their rearsets (~$12) that must have to deal with the same clearance issue. Good luck!

6. jlzrx

jlzrx Member

this is the same answer im getting every where so i am going to try this out
    thanks

7. bpoop

bpoop Active Member

I have a '95 9R for which I need the whole left side footpeg/shift linkage. Since I am having trouble finding any, I am considering going the same GP route. I have a shift lever from an older bike that fits directly onto the splined transmission shaft. You might have to shorten the lever to the correct distance between the lever and footpeg. It would have the lever pointing back from the tranny towards the footpeg like on an Aprilia which would reverse the shift pattern on the 9R to GP.

8. jlzrx

jlzrx Member

well the deed is done. A r6 shift arm will work, however you would need a new shift shaft for the threads are reversed. what I did was cut the sprocket cover, take off the shift arm, cut it in half and doubled its length by welding in some more aluminum. then sanded it down buffed it out and you would never know!
    also had some aluminum blocks made, which moved the rearsets back 1" and up 1" almost feels like a race bike now!:rolleyes: :D

Attached Files:

9. jlzrx

jlzrx Member

by the way the pic i just posted does not show the completed item, i will get a pic of that tomorrow and post it.

10. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

On my 00zx9 I cut the sprocket cover as said before and flipped the stock linkage. The adj. rod does hit the frame so put the rod in a vise and put a slight bow in it. Works great and I have put over 2000 race mi since! I believe my new zx6 will be the same,it looks like it uses the same sprocket cover.