1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tires for CB350?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by donovangravlee, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Well alrighty then! So 17:33, 34, 35, I would think I'm covered...And of course I got me 37 in case there's a trials section...

2. joec

joec brace yourself

i just meant a stocker wont go 113. check the trap speeds at daytona. well, the mineshaft IS a good idea.

daytona 04
    2 fast cb350's i think these guys were the first 2 hondas. i think. and yes, im guessing neither was a stocker. 3 highest speeds for each rider in the race.
    chris i think told me he was clocked at 114 once on his v1 bike.

647 Eric Cook 100, 106, 105

886 Buff Harsh 106, 112, 106

3. joec

joec brace yourself

oh yeah, isnt 17/35 pretty much the same ratio as 16/33?? i mean, close enough??? thought the bigger front would get you outta the corners a little faster id think.

4. Chumbucket

One in the front-three in the rear was always the old rule of thumb drilled into my head, soooooooo...Oh boy....17:35 should be equivalent to 16/38, no? Drop one in the front add three in the rear, and vica-versa?

You're going to make me dig through this rubbish pile on my desk and find that calculator aren't you...

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yeah, 2.05 and 2.06....

Do you really think there is a difference with same ratio, but bigger front pulling different?....interesting.....I allways thought ratio was ratio, no matter how you got there.

17/35 will use more chain, and shorten wheelbase compared to 16/33....right?...is this what you are saying Joe?...geometry stuff?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  6. Chumbucket

Ahhhhh, dammit...right, right, right....Brain fade...I've fallen on my head too often...

7. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

Eric
    The docs you waited!!!

Attached Files:

8. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Thanks Lionel! Very helpful.

O.K. guys, stop comparing apples vs oranges. Looks like C/R 5th requires just over 1 tooth less at the rear for the same overall gearing, and if I read this correctly will result in just over 200 less rpm drop shifting from 4th to 5th. Not a huge change, but might be important with a peaky race motor. I'd wait 'til I could afford a full-on race motor before I invested in one.

9. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

3:1 might apply to a particular bike, but @ 17:35 you're just over 2:1, and equivalent to 16:33t.

I run bigger sprockets to reduce chain/sprocket wear for the same ratios...'course that's an old habit, probably not necessary at the speeds we spin.

10. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

The trap speeds are tough to decipher ast Daytona. THe fastest trap speed I clocked thee was 118 on my 350. It all has to do with radar equipment placement and accuracy, wind, traffic and any opther variables you care to think of. It is an estimation I would say.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

totally agree. was only making the point that im pretty sure a stocker wont hit 113 since built bikes work to get there.

12. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

A stock bike will be hard pressed to top 90mph.
    Not sure who mentioned anything over 100 but i promise that it will never
    happen on a stocker.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

ill put up time slips from cecil dragway and the baltimore crews stockers from next friday. im betting over 90.

heres bill johnsons report from last time he went.

"My bike was geared way too tall as I never got close to redline in 4th. Best time was 15.258. Top speed of 84.17. Smokin!"

that was a stocker. no wheelie bars. exactly the way we show up on the grid with them.

14. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

The CR gearbox you must buy!!!

Attached Files:

15. donovangravlee

donovangravlee Active Member

Question about tech for ya:

I picked up a 1969 cL350 a couple of months ago. will be running 350gp with it next season. The rule book states "no carbon fiber body parts". . The bike has a carbon fiber belly pan on it. Can i get away with that? its just a belly pan.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

rained out the last few events. bummer.

17. donovangravlee

donovangravlee Active Member

Im looking for a good Avon tire supplier.
    Does anyone have a good link for me?