vintage wrap up

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by VVRONGO, Nov 12, 2009.

1. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

sean the gnf is the ony bitch I have with the gate. I most always stay and race sunday with the new bike so does not matter.Most guys won't drive huge distances for one day and that kills the turnout but I do understand the days are full.Even the modern guys would not like to drive for just sunday.One thing that would help is to have all the viintage guys be able to pit in the same location.This is one thing that brings everyone together as a family.I might ask u and evelyn to come to a ahrma race and maybe you could come up with some things that would help too. They have seen overall increase in grids in these tough time. I would only like this to work out in a positive way for wera as I would love to only stay in the southeast and race. I went as far as miller west and mosport canada north this year racing.Im a racer and im only looking for bigger grids so I would come to the money race even if there was no money but full grids.It was real nice to see some die hard ahrma guys at barber for the money though.If that weekend ever gets good weather watch out. I am a firm believer that vintage must be run by someone like the breckons did in the old days.They could devote 100% of there time into it for a % of the entries.Almost no bitchen hows that.:)

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Charles, I do realize that those bitching are a minority of Vintage riders. But it really is frustrating on our end when a good third of the hassles we deal with on a daily basis are from 10% of our riders...

3. racertex

racertex vintage dude

re: a vintage 2 day at talladega.......

i would rather do a 1 day at barber than drive 870 miles (14 hours) to run talladega for two days.

how about we pick loudon, nh for a 2 day? that would only be 1276 miles (19 hours) for riders from birmingham, alabama.

do you see where i'm going with this? pretty easy for people to bitch and whine about the "injustices of it all" when it becomes inconvenient for them individually.

wera isn't for an individual mindset, it is for the good of the group. i think it is easy sometimes to lose sight of that, and then easier to bitch about it here.

i for one really could care less if a 2 day event is planned and promoted for tally, roebling, cmp, no problem, or jennings. if it happens and is well run and attended.....great! the fact is that i wouldn't be able to go because of work (time off), money, etc..... i'm not gonna cry about it, just like i don't bitch that i can't make jim's fast from the past event at barber every year. jim promotes a great event (i'm told), so hats off to him. i and others from the mason/dixon line and points north try to do the same thing around here with recruiting new members, or incouraging uscra'ers to come down and race. mainly we just try to get our friends to come to summit to race and party.

i love wera....why? because it really is zero drama day of the race. show up, pay your money, tech your bike, and listen for third and final call so you can race your race. at the end of the day. get out of your leathers and crack a beer and relax. it is like that for every year for the 3 summit rounds and 1 vir rounds i attend.

so thanks sean, thanks evelyn. if you need help running a 2 day at vir, summit, or njmp.......let me know. i'd be glad to throw my hat in the ring for you, just like a few of your members want to do in the south for you.

respectfully,

tex mawby

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly better than I ever expected :)

I thought the majority of the Vintage guys did pit together as it was - and for the GNF we do put everyone together. If we need to make something a bit more official at the events we can do so easily enough.

I think one of the main issues with bigger grids is the us and them thing between AHRMA and WERA, which as you know we (i.e. me and Evelyne) had nothing to do with, we've never had any issues with AHMRA. We're working the VMD event at Mid-Ohio again and as it is a crossover between multiple organizations I hope that will work towards lessening some of that divide. WERA Vintage has never been intended to run against AHRMA just as the WERA National Challenge Series isn't intended to go against AMA Pro. They are different levels of racing.

The only real problem I can see is a pretty big difference in the rules philosophies between the two orgs which makes Mid-O hard to do for points and makes it hard for crossovers.

I would love to increase the grids but I still don't see a way to do it - and even purse money will only do so much. We've tried that in a lot of classes and it helps slightly but overall usually the cash out isn't even offset by the entry fees. We will cut back on the number of events this year and see if that helps. I think dropping to 2 regions is a bad idea, most people do not want to travel for a regional championship. The National Championship seems to work fine as it is so we'll leave it alone.

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

doesn't this summarize the "chicken or the egg" nature of that complaint?

Vintage guys say: "we want a 2-day event! more of us would race if there were 2-day events!"

WERA says: "we'll consider 2-day events when participation for the current events goes up."

you've got a circular argument, and as Mongo so aptly put it, any change is predicated upon an inevitable gamble for one of the parties involved.

6. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

Tex, hear you were one of the first to grumble when no awards were given out at summit. You had to go beg for your award. Thats funny.Is this true?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, if it helps, I meant participation for WERA as whole not just Vintage classes. WERA as a whole can't afford a gamble like that right now but hopefully can in a year or so. WERA looking at just Vintage participation would probably never be able to justify it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? We always have trophies for all WERA classes unless there was some sort of screwup in shipping or the like.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

i still dont get what all the whining is about. who cares? bring your bike, show up and race. tims actually complaining about a 25 buck gate fee? jesus. most of the vintage guys i know stay around on saturday night to eat, party, and socialize. personally, its half the reason i go to the track.

as for practicing on sat but not racing, isnt that more aimed at the modern guys? if i had a modern bike, id love to run the solos on saturday. or free practice on sat for sundays races.....what a perk!!!

anyway, i just want to say take off the dresses you guys and just come out and race. quit the pointless whining. race, have a beer, burn a garbage can, and make some friends. jesus! get over it.

its funny, of all of the people who i show up at the track with, who ive gotten into racing, and who have been doing it longer than me, most people have zero issues. the only ones who i know of who i think legitimately do are the old vrc people, and they made their points by not racing for a few seasons and even they are back with wera. and really, if you guys left, i know i could easily recruit new people to take your places. honestly, if i dont like a place ive done business with, i dont go back. maybe you guys need to quit throwing yourself into the fire over and over if its that bad. take some responsibility for yourselves. no one makes you race with wera. seems like most of the time when the shit pot is stirred, its usually the same people. i dont think the rest of the vintage crowd is real happy about the fact that people like you guys keep it up. because believe it or not, quite a few of us are pretty happy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  10. racertex

racertex vintage dude

tim, you wrote: "Tex, hear you were one of the first to grumble when no awards were given out at summit. You had to go beg for your award. Thats funny.Is this true?"

dunno what you are talking about tim. it is true that back in the day when wera took over vintage that i was bummed that there was no awards ceremony anymore. sean told me that i was more than welcome to run it. i realized quickly that it was a real pain in the ass to go up to the tower (i'm talking at summit only) and fetch the trophies, break down (clear off) one of my work tables to put them on, while my race day was going on.....i'm usually pretty disorganized during the race day.

hats off to mark mitchell, bucky sexton, and other that were able to do it back in the day.

but for the record, i have never had a problem getting a trophy when i won one. i still would like wera to issue the #1 national plates for 2004 championship (the year they took back over). man, i always wanted one of those (yeah, it's pretty vain, i know).

don't know if this is what you were referring to tim.

-tex mawby

11. melch

melch V7 Pusher

#1-Please re-read your own quote about 10 times.If it were possible,you should read it from many different perpspective's if thats possible.
    #2-Please clarify my question IYO as I believe there was only one and it was regarding your intelligence or lack there of.
    #3-I lost my business.The economy forced me to stop the bleeding.Very sad and I suppose painful thing for not only me but my family.Many years of dedication,dilligence and hard work gone.Buts thats ok.I am fine.

I only know Tim through a handshake at each event over the years.Always been nice to me.I dont know all thats transpired.But I do know that like Chip,when he puts that helmet on he is on a mission.Competitive,but never puts anyone on the ground.Smart rider,which is what it takes to win consistently and very talented.But for you,being a representative of wera calling him a prick or whatever,very unprofessional as you always are on here.

Evidently 10% is nothing to you.Add up all your gross and then subtract 10%.Lets do due dilligence here and let us know what that figure is.

As I said before I like everyone at wera and always enjoyed the racing.But you are truly like a little spoiled bitch.You would be better served just shutting your mouth.Honestly. I am pulling for wera and hoping they can ride this economy out.Racing is very expensive on our part.Anyway I dont want to see anyone lose their job.I just would like to see you treat people as a customer and think before you speak.Wake up man.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our issue with that at Summit really is one of having a consistent announcer, if you notice when there isn't a Vintage awards ceremony there also isn't a modern one so no one is being singled out.

Did we even do modern #1 plates in 2004?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did the math - it equals 90% of my customers I cannot work for when I'm spending 30% or more of my time with less than 10% of my customers. I do actually realize the people that take up all that time aren't even a majority or close to it of the Vintage riders.

Tim was being a prick. Tim knows that, I know that, I called him on it just as you're calling me on it when I am - which I freely admit I am.

So you lost your business and are telling me that the successful one I work for is doing it wrong - and yes, Evelyne does know exactly what I say on here... Interesting.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

since the vrc people were booted, i dont think there has been a vintage ceremony at summit, or anyplace else i have been for that matter. i honestly dont really care. im perfectly fine with going to get my trophy from a room. whatever.

there may have been one that we organized at summit, but i dont think so.

tex, ill have midge make you a special #1 plate.

i vote for edmund to give out the awards. in between making sammiches.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There have been many vintage trophy ceremonies, but like I said, it's where we have an announcer to do them so mainly the SE with Jeff. I know Lever did some at Summit too.

16. racertex

racertex vintage dude

well there is a defacto vintage awards ceremony at summit every saturday after the races. it happens at the wanker/baltimore/philly/new england confederacy of riders pit-paddock.

all are welcome. more welcome if you bring beer or firewood.

-tex mawby

17. joec

joec brace yourself

ok, i think instead of giving a discount for entering multiple classes, all the classes should just be 85 bucks. wouldnt that help the bottom line??

:D:Poke:

i closed my business 2 months ago. sold all my tools. big whoop. waa waa waa....whatever.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

we do put on one hell of a ceremony.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

July 24-25. C'mon up!

20. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

As I sit and read this thread this morning I fear for our future.

Way back on page 2 I said this was an opportunity for everyone to tell WERA what they would like to see change in WERA Vintage. In response we have insults, innuendo, general bitchin', and a few constructive suggestions.

Thank you to those who posted the constructive suggestions.

I wasn't around when WERA Vintage was managed differently and frankly don't much care about what went on back then. What I do care about is what is going on now and in the future.

Why don't we have bigger grids? There are 100 different answers to that question and they are all speculation. Instead of endless arguments about it let's focus on picking a few possible solutions and working with WERA to try them.

Do we have problems that need attention? Yes. Are they going to get fixed by insulting each other? No.