1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit Cards

Discussion in 'General' started by jtalerico, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jtalerico

jtalerico Fury

Wife and I are looking to get a new credit card. We have a credit card through a local bank, and their online services suck. Just looking to see what everyone else has and what they think about their card.

We are looking at getting the Chase Sapphire, thoughts?

2. AMEX Blue Cash but used to have the Delta AMEX. Will likely change back to the Delta at a later time.
    All others I have I plan to pay off and get rid of. Discover, Home Depot, and Chase.

Once I get up and running with my business I will likely get a AMEX business card.

3. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

CostCo AMEX

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Amex. Everything else is pulling your pud to sports illustrated.

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I like my chase cards. I signed up for a chase mastercard in college, and added a chase visa maybe two or three years ago, after a miserable experience with Discover.

My mastercard number was somehow stolen, and someone ran up about 6 charges, totaling close to $400. Chase customer service handled it great, so I'd give them an A+ in the "service when it really matters" department.

seriously, I called them about an arrant $240 charge to some underwear web site, and they ran down a list of 5 other charges i hadn't made. Those never even made it on my online statement - they just squashed them right away. The rep immediately elevated my "disputed charge" to "fraud," and within a week, I'd gotten the paperwork to have the $240 off my balance. never had to 'front' money for the charges I didn't make (unlike discover, who says 'pay it, and we'll investigate.')

my primary card is the chase visa with cash-back. i like that better than points or airline miles, because it's more tangible...

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

AMEX is king. Of course it is a charge card, not a credit card. Big difference.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I don't know why anyone would want to pay a fee to carry a card that you can't use everywhere. I use a Visa debit 99% of the time, and for the rare times I need an actual credit card I use a Visa from a credit union my wife has belonged to forever. It's 9.9% interest, and no POS charge (pay it off every month and incur no charges at all. They allow us to pay on line, but I pay through my bank's (sucky) on line bill pay.

I had a company Amex for years, but it never did anything that any other card didn't do (excecpt not get accepted in some places). Why do people like it so much?

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

credit debit = nono
    credit = float...sometimes upto 5 days!

Although I have a couple AMEX... I rarely use them. For small business Amex is a profit eater. Corps like em because of ease of reconcile.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i don't think i've ever paid interest on a credit card. not once... thus i really don't care what the interest rate is. It's just a way to build a good credit score, and get cash-back in the process.

10. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

Chase recently raised our FIXED interest rate for no reason. It went from 7.99% to around 15%. Of course, I transferred the balance to a local credit union (University of Kentucky) and it kinda pissed me off that Chase would do that. We have excellent credit and have never been late on ANYTHING.

I'll never get a Chase card again and I can't wait to get the new one paid off so I don't have to deal w/ CC company bullshit again.

11. jtalerico

jtalerico Fury

Good to know.

12. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

Amex Blue is raising their rates as well - Amex is in trouble right now. Most cards are going from 7.99% to up around the 15.9% all the way to 21.9% - not a good time to have a credit card unless you pay it off when you get the statement each month.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Local credit union that rocks. Great service, low rates, cash in the savings account rebate, and 25 days grace period. Paid off every month so if they change their ways so can I.

GM Card that I will be sending to them in finely diced bits as soon as I pay for the track day I have on it. Crap service, mediocre rates, rebate that is only good for a GM car (did use it once), 25 days grace and did I mention absolute crap service. It is now HSBC. Personally I have heard nothing but nightmare stories about the big banks (Chase, BoA, etc) that I would avoid them like the plague.

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Love my Amex but nobody takes it! I had to get a Chase Visa just so that I could pay for some racing parts. I use my debit for most things and mostly race on cash but the CC sure does help a little.

15. I use the AmEx Blue Cash. I keep a Visa Debit card in case they don't take AmEx but that is a rare occurrence for me.

There is no annual fee and I get up to 5% cash back. I do not carry a balance and therefore do not pay any interest. Year over year, I get hundreds of dollars in cash back which is credited toward the outstanding balance so you can use it for whatever. It's not limited to airfare or whatever.

I'm sure there are other great cards out there, but I'm very satisfied with AmEx. Their customer service is top notch and their online access is very good, too. The few times I had to question the charges, they responded immediately and credited my account without question. The ONLY gripe I have is that it takes 24-48 hours for the charges to show up on my online activity statement. If that's the only thing I have to bitch about, then that's pretty darn good. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Everyone I deal with takes Amex. I keep a Visa or MasterCard as a back up.

Why do I love Amex? No bullshit customer service. I had someone get my card number at the Atl airport and I caught it early and called Amex. No paperwork, no additional calls, no bullshit on their part. They labeled it fraud, Fed Exed me a new card, never mentioned it again until the arrested the scumbag running around Chicago who was trying to use my now canceled card number.

There is also the benefits. With my card I get free access to the crown rooms at the airports, I get instant upgrades on cars, I've gotten bumped up from stowage to first class on about 1/3 my flights. Amex takes care of me better than my mom.

I've also gotten about 7 pairs of Oakleys, a Tumi brief case, a mont blanc pen and a Tag watch from my points. Top that Mastercard! :D

17. What card do you have, Dave?

Maybe I need to upgrade from my Blue Cash. :)

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have 3 Amexs. :eek:

Blue for revolving. Green for personal and a silvery colored one for travel and buisness (turned down a corporate one to travel on my own).

19. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

Chase sucks. Did the same thing to me. Also increased the minimum payment from 2% of the balance to 5%. I just got a home equity loan for 6% for 5 years to pay everything off.

20. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I used to use credit cards until I figured how how stupid it was. Still paying back Chase because I cancelled my accounts rather than have my 6-7% interest bumped to 23% but I doubt I'll ever get another one, they're all scumbags when it comes down to it.