New project, 05 750 wrong wheel? Help!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fe911, Jul 18, 2009.

1. fe911

fe911 Active Member

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a wrecked 05 gsxr750. It was partially put back together by the guy(some good, some not so) who bought it from the insurance auction. He said he just gave up. No plastics, which was fine, but needs a lot of little stuff. He said he bought a set of wheels and he installed new rubber on it, qualifiers. I'm pretty close to being finished, when I noticed the wheel is a 6" wide sucker. The tire is a 180, but I guess when he bought the wheels, he wasn't that particular.
    My questions are so: Will the wider rim "flatten" the tire too much? I'm leaning that it would, but it still looks pretty good. Also, was the swingarm "spread out" to accept the wider wheel? And make the chain misaligned? I'm just trying to figure out whether I should junk it and find the correct wheel. I also read somewhere that Suzuki put both 5.5 and 6 wheels on the bike, which I haven't been able to verify, and it doesn't sound right. I'm running fast intermediate track days right now. I picked it up as something lighter(and more dependable) than my yzf750.

2. jkrueger

jkrueger Well-Known Member

the wheel will be fine in the swingarm, the hub is the same width on the 6" and 5.5" wheel. the tire will be slightly flattened out, if i were you i would be running a 190 rear. i run a 180 rear on my streetbike which has a 6" rim. the manners are good for street riding. on my trackbikes (05 750's) i ride with a 190 ron a 5.5" rim, i much prefer the 190