1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Marchesini Possible Production Run

Discussion in 'General' started by eldiabloe1, May 12, 2009.

1. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

First Gen Mag in 5.5

2. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

This is going to be my next purchase. I bought a Marchesini rear rim for the SV from a fellow board member. Problem is I only have one 5.5 Marchesini rim and a stock 4.5 which throws the rear ride height out of whack when I'm changing to rains or a spare set in general. I don't have the coin to spend on the aftermarket rim, I bought a F3 rim for the SV last year that came with a zip-lock bag full of (seems like a Million) spacers. I sold the rim the next day, I can see myself loosing the spacers at the track. The other draw back with the F3 rim is that there is nothing light about the rim. The sprocket carrier alone weight as much as the rim. Side note: a stock SV rear rim without carrier weighs 18lbs, the Marchesini "magnesium" 12lbs .

3. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I have an F3 wheel too, that I have not installed yet either. It is heavy, you can get the spacer kit (captive) from Spears or Twin Works Factory.
    I saw the gsxr conversion kit on ebay, Wow!! $250.!! That's very pricey! I have a sprocket carrier leftover from my `06 gsxr,and it is waaay lighter than f3 carrier. But that kind of money to machine, I don't know? I still would have to buy a wheel and rotor as well. It would be around $700-750. after everything.
    How much is the Marchesini? $1200-1500. Is it really worth it? Guess it depends on your budget.

I ran magnesium wheels when I was racing 250's. They are very light, but you need to pay attention to them as far as cracking, etc. I had the old three spokes, which were indestructable, and the newer oem (for TZ) five spokes which had alot of cracks... I suspect I may have screwed them up in the powder coating process, never really will know.

4. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

it's like putting billet 20's on a pinto

5. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Werd. But it's fun...:D and you can always make it fit something else later.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The guy who mounts my Dunlops at my local track also does some AMA rounds for Dunlop. He was mentioning that the wheels he's been getting this year have been pretty flexable so he has to be extra super careful when he mounts the tires.

7. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Your kidding...

What's his name?

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

MY SV with F3 rear.

9. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

A guy as big as Butters would have to be careful with iron wheels. Marchesini mags are awesome. Check out Tyson's wheels on his Dukatista next time you're down.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Flexible is probably not the right word. Mag is lighter than aluminum but it is not as strong and more prone to cracking and corrosion. An aluminum rim will hold up better over time.

11. eldiabloe1

eldiabloe1 Active Member

Most problems with magnesium are from the earlier cast versions. Newer forged designs are much stronger.

12. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

shit, go Durrani:Poke:

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That's funny...I don't know his real name...we all call him Butters.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And after our conversation I'm going to try to go for the mag wheels.

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Will do.

16. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

My experiences with magnesium wheels does not agree with your comments on quality and strength.

Marvic has been making wheels since 1983
    http://www.marvic.it/marv_esperienza_eng.php

We have been working with Marvic for quite a few years, and have OUTSTANDING results with their cast magnesium products. Marvic cast wheels have been used in AMA, World Superbike, GP, Drag racing and club racing with good results.
    http://www.marvic.it/news_eng.php

You should also note that while Forging makes the alloy stronger, this allows the engineers to reduce the amount of material in the wheel. The idea here is to make the wheel as light as possible to do the job that it has to do. As a result of this, the final products are much closer in strength than you would guess.

The decision point on forged vs cast should really be one of Weight vs Cost when the wheel are sourced from a quality manufacturer.

17. eldiabloe1

eldiabloe1 Active Member

Please do not push your product on this thread. It started for so I could see if the market could use an SV wheel, not advertisement.

18. Um I think Fred was just trying to clear things up with facts...

19. eldiabloe1

eldiabloe1 Active Member

Trying to state facts is sticking to the discussion based on forged vs cast and has zero to do with race stats or other information added to further Marvic or YOYO. At no time did I state anything against other companies or brands or even promote my own.

20. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Let him educate us with info,( not to mention it's interesting)
    don't be a dick.:Poke:

Just because you started the thread, doesn't mean you own it. Trust me, many o mine have taken on a life of there own.;)