1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Back Protector to Prevent Serious Spine Injuries

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackHo, May 4, 2009.

1. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

A week ago Sunday, one of my best buddies at pitmate, got run over at the start of the AFM Open SuperBike Race, He sustained some pretty serious spinal injuries, his L1 vertabrae was basically exploded, T11 and T12 broken in many pieces--ALL consistent with getting a 500lb bike-rider across the lower back, He has wearing one of those Dainese plastic shell/foam back protectors.

It seems that there has to be some really superior back protectors out there, I wear a Helimot one that has added protection in the spine area--Anyone know of anything better???

I am particularly in terested in Mr Ulrich's choice as he is pretty familar with spine injuries and roadracing, not to mention hes a father and a grandpa now:beer::beer:

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I also wear the Helimot and absolutely love it.

Bohn is spoken highly of by some very safety-conscious racers and instructors I know, haven't personally tried it or tested it.

3. limy_1

limy_1 Crash Starter

I have seen a friend test a Dainese in a highside, imprinted the outside of his leathers with a direct impact.
    I wear a Knox.

Everyone has thier favorite brand for various reasons.
    Each incident is as different as the individual.

Like a helmet after an impact the back protector should also be replaced.

Do a search on backprotectors there is lots of information here on the bbs.

4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's injuries. Thoughts and prayers are with him for a full recovery.

Back 'protectors' are not meant to totally prevent spinal injuries. Rather they are a line of defense against crashing. Mostly, they will provide abrasion resistance and a bit of puncture resistance as well (think peg in kidney). Unfortunately this is a dangerous sport and every crash is different.

I agree that you need to buy the best protection out there. Keep us updated on his condition.

5. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

Actually did that there is little specific information. I was tlaking with Helimot and he has some very good ideas about further developing his version with additional spine protection, its not a trivial endevour. Apparently, if you make plastic spine shells to depend against the worst case, they can easily rip thru the memory foam. The answer is kind of like a triple compound tire with harder/stronger plastic in the middle, then a softer plastic to dissipate the energy with out tearing up the memory foam/protection. Helmut said it was like $30K to develop such a back protector and that few people would pay $300+ for the added protection, so it wasnt economically feasible. Personally, I would pay $500 for the best chance against a shattered spine, but like previously mentioned there are other factors in each accident.

Fuckin race start run overs--every racers biggest fear, a couple hundy extra for added insurance--Id pay in a heartbeat anyone else??

PS--If you saw the catscan of his spine--youd pay the extra $$$ trust me

6. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I was wearing an Old Alpinestars Tech-Race back protector when I got rearended last year after stalling on the start. The other bike was going at a pretty good pace (So I'm told) and I had no back injuries.

Needless to say, I bought another A-stars protector...

7. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

I've had no problems with my Dainese back protector. But they're mostly I thought there to prevent pegs or sharp objects from penetrating your spinal area.

8. gy999r

gy999r Well-Known Member

Impact Armor:up:

9. paintedblue

paintedblue in motion...

10. royalgixxer

royalgixxer The Bodywork Guy

KNOX FTW!!!:up::up:

11. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

i have heard bohn is a fraud/hoax/fake (copying knox, false CE certifications)? anyone else heard of that or was that old news and they have earned their status now?

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Tpro.

13. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

I had a Teknic one during my crash in CSS last year at VIR - my bike came around and my back took a direct hit from the Vortex peg. It went in between the plastic pieces and broke my ribs, puncturing a lung ( but knocked my off the bike that was dragging me thank god) . I got the Alpinestars Bionic now with the integrated chest protector. I love it. Haven't tested it out at all, but it's much beafier than my Teknic was.

14. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

you are making me reconsider my teknic back protector now...

15. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

CE certification is the key. Educating yourself about the certification and levels of certification. Knox and TPro are both certified and approach the challenge of armor differently. I wear a Knox back protector for the better coverage and combination of hard and soft armor. I wear a TPro rib protector for it's better coverage and flexibility. Find what works for you and what you will wear consistantly, that's a good measure.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That's what I wear (chest protector too). I figure if Nicky Hayden and Colin Edwards trust themselves with it then I can too trust myself with it.

17. AeroRamer

AeroRamer Mid-life crisis is fake

I wear this one too. Back and chest protector. But cannot attest to its effetivity since I have not been on any serious accident, only two lowsides. Needless to say I do not want to crash test it. But I always wonder about IF it will help.

18. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Nothing short of a neck airbag will help avoid hyper-extension (typically head forced forward with chin into chest) or compression injuries (sticking in the ground or into a barrier like a dart, head first) and I don't know what is the best one for impact. I like the look of the Helimot one but you'd have to have your leathers made around it, it's kind of bulky. I'm using a Z back pad that was built into my Z leathers.

Best protection may be a roll cage inside a C.O.T. but what fun would that be compared to racing bikes?

19. John29

20. John29

I am always amazed when the field gets through T1 at the start of a race from the grid. It just seems like it shouldn't work as well as it does.

And I know a lot of people hate them, but those rolling 2x2 starts just look safer to me, like it would be harder to get hit because it would be less likely that you'd stall out trying to start.

Not advocating their use everywhere, just sayin' how it looks to me.