1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Cornelison

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 83BSA, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

It is with a heavy heart and great shock that I tell you that David Cornelison, No. 33, died unexpectedly today.

I am still in shock, and I have not fully come to grips with this further BSA loss - nearly 3 weeks after his best friend, Ted Hubbard died. I spoke with David earlier today - he was at Beano's testing his Pikes Peak bike and a B50 on the dyno. He reported that the Pikes Peak bike ran well, the B50 still had oiling problems. He returned to Charlotte. where he complained he was not feeling well. The paramedics were called, and he was taken to the hospital. Apparently he suffered an anuerism and died.

A year ago when I spoke of racing Pikes Peak, David told me he'd always wanted to run that race. I told him to come on - I'd carry the bikes out, set it up, make all arrangements - all he had to do was show up and ride . . . and try to stay ahead of me.:) He had entered and we were on for the July 19 event. Yesterday he had his physical for Pikes - - - everything was OK.

David was Ted Hubbard's eternal sidekick. But he was more than that - he was his own accomplished rider and wonderful person. Very generous, always helping, never complained. He drove Ted home after Ted began to fail - he was Ted's best friend. Every Saturday morning I'd call Ted, David was in Ted's workshop. He kept me updated on Ted's condition, and he always made sure Ted was well taken care of.

He was an accomplished racer. 1979 WERA Endurance national champ - on a KZ1000 that wobbled vicsiously, but which he and "Billy" managed to ride to a championship. He was fast on B50's and his Triumph twin. If he wanted, he could twist the throttle and beat anyone on the track. Yes, Buff, that includes you. On a B50. He did not need to prove anything to anyone at anytime. He could ride at 80% and be right with you as you rode your heart out. He always had a grin and a kind word. And he was unfailingly helpful.

I was so looking forward to Pikes Peak and learning the mountain and the race with David. I told him at 11:30 AM today that we both needed to run Amal carbs and to have plenty of spares to account for the potential jetting problems with the elevation. I'll be sorting jetting alone and in a quandry - neither Ted nor David will be there to guide me.

While Ted had the factory credentials, David was the quintessential club racer. He had an open class national championship. He built his own stuff. He traveled at odd hours, he picked and patched up friends, he made do with whatever was available. And he did it with a smile and he never complained. He loved racing and he loved the people associated with racing. His loss creates a huge void.

I'm confused and somewhat at a loss for words. Certainly death is a fact of life. But I've lost 4 close friends within the last year: Warren Jackson in April 2008 (I rode Warren's leg in the 2004 Baja 1000 after he broke his collar bone); Wayne Fontenelle in August 2008 (I played rugby with Wayno for 8 years in New Orleans); Ted Hubbard 3 weeks ago and now David. WTF? Life is short my fellow racers. Live it well and fully. Without rancor and self absorbtion. Treasure your time with others and enjoy them for who they are, not what they are not. And remember - - they have to put up with you.

God speed David. I miss you. And I'll always cherish the help and support you provided me. Thank you. I guess this means I must get to the top at Pikes Peak. I had hoped that you would lead the way. Please guide me nonetheless.

Cheers,

2. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good guy and a great friend. Sorry for your loss.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, David, you are getting too much practice lately in writing memorials.

I've known DC for about 25 years, ever since I showed up at Rockingham with my A65 and attempted to race every class from Open Vintage to Formula 1 Novice. I remember him asking me if I was attempting to wear out my bike in one day. He was always ready to lend a hand, and when necessary, add some dry wit.

Things are certainly going to be different without his good-natured ribbing.

RIP, DC.

David Matthews

4. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

David , I have not said much about the loss of ted but he was one that I looked up to and never had seen Ted mad or bent out of shape with anyone. He was a great man and now to here of the loss of his best friend DC is hard to believe.I never saw one with out the other, so Im sure they will be on there BSA's in a better place together. God speed men. Ditto on live that life.

5. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

we should all strive to be remembered so fondly...GodSpeed.

6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Wow. Truly shocking indeed. Godspeed David.

7. rx49

rx49 Active Member

David always stopped by my pits and gave me good natured grief about my Honda's. He always had a smile and was the first to help out when things required work. I shall miss him greatly.

John Early.

8. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

It must be lonely in Heaven for God to be taking all of these great people away from us so soon. :(
    I didn't know David as well as some, but I can't remember ever seeing him with anything other than a big grin on his face. Always having fun, his jokes and infectious good mood always cheered up those that were around him. We never raced in the same classes, but he was always giving me a hard time about being too young for vintage( not lately!:rolleyes:) or racing weed-eaters.
    Another big hole in the paddock. RIP.

Mark

9. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Very sad to loose someone so unexpectedly... Sorry to hear about this. : (

10. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

David was a regular when I started racing with WERA Vintage. Like others I remember his constant smile and friendly encouragement off the track, and his upright figure on the BSA on the track....

Godspeed David, you are warmly remembered and you will be missed...

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Sad Indeed, god speed Mr. Cornelison.....We spoke numerous times at Kershaw, Allways an interesting guy.

I really had no idea of his racing history, I just enjoyed talking to him, I liked his bikes, and he was fast in 500GP.

I've been going to Kershaw for the past couple years....to race him.....he was my target.

Last year, I even tried to talk my fellow Honda 350 riders into letting me run 500GP with my stock motor, but with my V1 mikuni's.....with the sole purpose of racing the 33.....they said no, and 33 DNF'd that day....so I guess I will never know.

Mr. Rutherford, I think both those guys will enjoy seeing you conquer Pikes Peak.

12. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Wow, this is tough news! We haven't seen as much of David as we did in years past, but it was always good to see him. I think he achieved what we all might hope for, he was happy and enjoying his racing experience. It doesn't get much better than that. God Speed David.
    Lyn Garland

13. rx49

rx49 Active Member

There will be a celebration of David's life at the Robertson Presbyterian Church , 9424 Harrisburg Rd, Charlotte, NC on Thursday April 2 at 1 PM,for those that might wish to attend.

14. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

Two too many

Shocked to hear of David's passing. I raced against him many times, usually at road Atlanta. Both he and Ted were committed to BSAs and going as fast as they could, but always were willing to help or share knowledge.

Condolences to David's family.

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

For more information on David's memorial, go to:http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/bsa33/homepage.aspx

16. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Isn't amazing how we get caught up in all of life's trival BS. When at the end of the day the only things that really matter are, family, good friends and our desire to race old worn out motorcyles. We are a "Band of Bothers."
    Damn.

17. racertex

racertex vintage dude

having read about this post over at another forum, then reading a few posts later about gene's passing, i was left shocked and then very sad. both david and gene were guys that i knew and respected for their sportsmanship and competitive nature. i have been thing of both tonight and reminiscing over conversations we had, laughs we shared, and races we raced together. i know when i suit up on saturday at summit that i will be thinking of them both till the 1 board goes sideways and the green flag drops.....then i will follow their spirits into T1, and round and round the track. godspeed to both. you will be missed on and off the track.

tex mawby