1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad day ! Very sad indeed...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by compmoto, Mar 28, 2009.

1. compmoto

compmoto Team Geno

:( Gene Lucas has left us, he passed away Fri. AM @ GW hospital in D.C. Arrangements, and family support info will be posted as it is recieved. Many will remember him, as he has been a steadfast competitor in WERA on Yamaha 2 strokes for many years.He had been planning to attend the Summit Point event this coming weekend.Godspeed,Gene...

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Godspeed, Gene.

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Godspeed Gene, This is a sad turn of events, condolences to his family. Gene was a great competitor, I always enjoyed his friendly personality and he will be missed in the Vintage group!

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'm stunned. I didn't know Gene all that well but still I'm stunned. Godspeed.

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, I'll remember Gene, didn't know him that well- only a few meetings-
    but certainly a part of our vintage racing scene...condolences to his family members.

6. Smokin158

Smokin158 Suzuki T500 Racer

Godspeed Gene, you will be missed.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

Yeah, bucky just told me. Sad for sure.

jc

8. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

RIP..:( what happend?

9. Triumph#207

Triumph#207 Well-Known Member

Yes very sad. I only met him once but he seemed way too young to die by natural causes. Very tragic...

10. rx49

rx49 Active Member

Gene was a good competitor, over all great person and a friend. He will be missed.

11. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Talked to Rich Lucas (Ringdingding) yesterday. Gene suffered a massive coranary while at work. Bad hearts ran in his family, as his father passed away at the ripe age of 46 and Gene had already gone through bypass (triple?) a few years ago.
    It's ironic that Genes heart is what took him away from us so early, because Gene was ALL heart! Wether on the track or in the pits, he always gave it 100%, but never at the expense of anothers well being. He was purely selfless when it came to helping a fellow racer out. From lending a part, sharing a sandwich, letting someone borrow his bike or driving 3 hrs to Summit, even though his bike was in pieces at the time, to bring his dial indicator for a fellow rd racer that didn't have one and needed to time his bike, Gene was always there.
    This round coming up next weekend at Summit was always his favorite, as some years, it would fall on his B-day. This year was no exception, and Rich was telling me that he couldn't wait for next weekend to hit the track with a vengance and see how fast he could go. Gene seemed to be getting faster and faster as these past few years, as if he knew the candle was burning short.
    Those of us racing at Summit next weekend wont see Gene, but he will certainly be there in spirit, urging us all on to do our best!!

Godspeed Gene, you will be missed.

Mark

12. RacerGirl777

RacerGirl777 New Member

Gene's family is doing as well as can be expected. Arrangements are being made tomorrow for his memorial service and I'll post the info tomorrow evening. I know Gene already has his angel wings and will be busy this coming weekend at the races. Thank you all for your prayers.

13. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Make it stop. Very unfortunate news, and most unexpected. Always loved talking to gene at summit about anything from how hard he rides to the maintenance of the 16 cylinder rolls royce engines on the gulf stream he wrenched on. A really fun guy who loved to race with passion. Gene is gonna be missed.

14. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

RIP Gene. Godspeed and thoughts and prayers to the family.

15. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Gene was a great guy and a great competitor. We didn't get to race against each other very often, but when we did it was always close racing and great fun. What a wonderful person too. It just doesn't seem possible he's gone - he was too young. We will miss you Gene, God Speed.
    Lyn Garland

16. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

A memorial for Gene will be held at Rausch Funeral Home, 8325 Mount Harmony Ln, Owings MD 20736 from 2-4 on Saturday the 4th of April. 410-257-6181 is the ph#

If you would like to send a card or flowers 3802 13th st, chesepeake beach md, 20732 is the home address.

Or a charitable contribution can be made in Gene's name to The American Heart Association. Go to donate.americanheart.org or call1-800-242-8721 for information.

For racers and other family and friends unable to attend, another memorial will be held at the June Summit Point round, more info to come on that.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  17. RacerGirl777

RacerGirl777 New Member

Heart Walk 2009
    I'm participating in the American Heart Association's Heart Walk on April 25th. I'll be walking for Gene!!

18. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

tragic

Terrible news. Condolences to his family.

19. rdracer250

rdracer250 New Member

Thank you all for your kind expressions of sympathy. Racing was his life's passion. I always thought he would go on the track with a big smile on his face. Unfortunately, he was taken from us way too soon, and he will be dearly missed. I am just realizing how many lives he touched in so many ways. He admired all of you and related many stories to me. Good luck to all of you this weekend and be safe.

Carol Lucas

20. racertex

racertex vintage dude

carol,

my condolences to you and yours. i will be thinking of both gene and david cornelison this weekend. i hope to see you at the memorial in june.

sincerely,

tex mawby