www.onesecondfaster.com--SUCKS!

Discussion in 'General' started by gillianthree, Jun 30, 2006.

1. gillianthree

gillianthree Well-Known Member

OK, I am usually not one to bitch; however this has my panties in a ruffle. I bought their adjustable rear sets for my 2000 SV. Initially they look great for the money. However, after a minor bike/track pavement reunion I ended up with a broken peg and bent to shit rear set. But hey this is racing and I should expect some bent parts. I was able to straighten all the bent parts without any problems. But what really has my balls frosted is the fact that I ordered "online" new replacement pegs over a week ago and I don't have them yet. I have sent numerous email and their phone number just rings. So if you are thinking about ordering these think twice or at least get a few extra pegs. Mike [email protected]

2. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

the osf guys are great! honestly. i got my stuff from them last year and loved them. i had a lowside that resulted in a peg that broke off at the stress point and left a nice lil nub. ordered up a new peg and had it within a week. personally i loved 'em.

3. wendellcrain

wendellcrain Well-Known Member

I know when I ordered my rearsets from them earlier this year, it took an extremely long time to get them. They finally answered my emails and explained that they had to change suppliers for something or another. I would not think that they would still be having this issue though.

4. louiedachainsaw

louiedachainsaw New Member

OSF Rearsets SUCK

I own a 98 Kawi zx7r. I purchased a set of osf rearsets and within a week or so they showed up.

I too had issues with the pegs, not from a crash, just normal street riding use, no stunting. On both sides the peg bolts work themselves loose, and the soft aluminum metal easily bends (where the peg bolt sits on the rearset). The threads on my rearsets are now stripped. I did use lock tite on the peg bolts, they still work loose. The bolt loosening issues is not because the threads work loose, it was because the soft metal bends and worps, and eventually the bolt and threads are stripped. The peg does not get enough purchase into its mounting hole and you are screwed, I weigh 145 lbs so its not like my fat ass is bending the aluminum. A replacement kit runs $220, so with the initial purchase price of $350, plus 2 replacement kits (1 fer each side) you just spent almost $900 freakin dollars. My rearsets did not even last through one season of rididng.

So I went to the osf website and located the contact phone number, and email. I too could never once get an answer over the phone, endlessly rings with no answer ever. So I sent emails, that too prompted zero response from osf. I think they may be out of business, they certainly cannot support the customers that have mistakenly purchased these rearsets. Buying these was a terrible waste of money. I should have saved just a little more $$$ initially and purchased a nice pair of Sato's or Woodcraft's.

Live and learn
    Louie Da Chainsaw

5. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I like my OSF rearsets but the speed of service from OSF is certainly a problem. If you're the type of person who wants quick service then I'd strongly recommend staying away from OSF. However I do believe their products are of high quality. I've gone two racing seasons with them and I am a fatass who puts lots of his 260 lbs of weight on the pegs. The OSF rearsets also survived a high speed wipeout on turn 2 at Barber last year with little more than minimal grinding off and no apparent bending of the mounting. The RC51 I have is not light.

The people at OSF will work with you to get you satisfied but they're not going to respond quickly at all. They clearly state that on their website. It took them a long time to get it done but they took care of the one installation issue I experienced with their product.

It sounds like maybe the set of pegs you got had a problem if the peg bolts don't get a good purchase. Mine screw in a long way and have plenty of purchase. I'd recommend taking a photo and emailing it to them.

I wouldn't say I'm an OSF lover, but I believe they do (eventually) take care of their customers. Hope you guys get your issues resolved without much more delay. :up:

6. 178SV

178SV now retired...

My experience with OSF

Love the rearsets on the SV, lots of adjustability for my 6'6" frame. Had a lowside and needed pegs. Ordered replacement 2 weeks before race weekend thinking that's plenty of time. It was like $60 + $7.95 shipping and handling. OK. Then when I check out through PayPal it charged me another $10 for shipping on top. Whatever, just a glitch.

Then I remember I bought the rearsets on eBay. So I check and there are plenty of footpegs on sale by one guy for $40/pr. I'm thinking that OSF is a one guy, one CNC machine operation so I figure he's just using another avenue for sales. Not excited that I paid $20 more for the same thing, but hey, I should've checked beforehand.

10 days later, no pegs. Shit! race is this weekend. I send an email, no reply. Phonecall, no answer. Voicemailbox full, not accepting messages. Crap, this guy must have died or something.

I send message via ebay to that seller. Got a response back quickly. Turns out OSF is one guy, but the eBay seller is a different guy. Said he was the distributor. Said he was in contact with the "Manufacturer" and my pegs were going out that day, gave me a tracking number. Good, this guy is taking care of business at least. Got the pegs the day I needed them.

Still bugged me that I spent $30 more than I needed to so I sent another email asking for a partial refund to OSF, at least the extra $10 in shipping that I was overcharged. No reply.

2 weeks later I get another package in the mail with a set of pegs. I sent another email, "Look, you sent me another set of pegs, did you do this to make me happy, or what is a mistake? I'm not going to steal a set from you." I offered to send the difference in cost minus the shipping error to his paypal account, just contact me and let me know. Guess what, never heard from him. So I'm happy I have spares now to crash 3 times, but customer service? Non-existent. For basically a one-off, small volume shop serving a tiny racing market, how many of us do you wan't to piss off? Unless of course, you don't care.

7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Woodcraft!!! Ftw!!!!

8. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

That's because the UPS couldn't find Nerk on the map. :Poke:
    What's up Mr Crain?

9. louiedachainsaw

louiedachainsaw New Member

I am disappointed in the product, but I wish I were'nt. I was initially excited when I had my local shop (very reputable sport/dirt shop, best shop in town, not dealership) setup the rearsets. My mechanic had some issues with the rearbrake setup, but initially they seemed great. Within a few rides I noticed the pegs were loosening. I got my 8mm allen and removed the bolts, cleaned them, and reset them with loctite. I take good care of my bike, always garaged, drivetrain very clean, I stay on top of my bike.

When I say the bolts did not get enough purchase I did not mean the allen bolt. I belive the allen bolt loosened allowing the peg stepdown on the inside of the peg, that seats into the round hole, to smash. Initially this hole peg interface is very tight, because my allen bolts loosened, the pegs wiggled in the hole, worping both the peg and the hole. This in turn had a negative effect on the bolt, and the threads in the mounting plate. That is why I commented that the metal seemed soft, it did bend and smash. I retighten the bolts, but now the bolts have already begun to strip (from the wiggle that occured while bolts loosened during a ride and my weighting the pegs in corners). So El Josel.

I have a sneaking suspision that one or more of the positive comments above may very well be from the supposed one guy that is OSF??? Just a guess. As for EBay, that is where I initially purchased my rearsets. They have not posted anything OSF all summer, I have been watching. OSF does offer just peg replacement for $40 or so, but their website had the pegs listed as out of stock. I have never seen OSF pegs on EBay. So I can purchase the $220 per side replacement kit I mentioned earlier, if I do this for both sides I am at close to $900 for the setup. But I am not comfortable sending 440 dollars to a fictious shop that does not respond to email or phone communication. Shoulda done the woodcrafts fer around $500.

Louie Da Chainsaw

10. fairing lurker

fairing lurker Well-Known Member

osf rearsets for my zx7r

Hope my OSF rearsets don't exhibit the same problem on my ZX7R. I just ordered them off of EBAY for $319 including shipping. Woodcraft looked ok until I saw that you had to order a bunch of stuff (levers and pegs not included in the $199).

I'll loctite it from the start (I use that stuff in all the colors all over the bike). Had a small lowside at Oakhill this weekend so it was a good excuse to upgrade from stock anyway as I had been putting that off (not trying to spend a lot of $ on a heavy street/track bike but I sure do love the stability when I don't do stupid things like lose focus on turn 7 and go too wide on a yellow flag. Can't wait to get back out there though.

Guess I should order some pegs and levers now since it may be a while before I see them :Pop:

Regards,

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Holy old thread Batman!

12. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I've used OSF rearsets on the last two bikes that I've owned & I've had great results with them. OSF is a small operation and had some serious distribution issues in the past. They've now got a new distributor and seemed to have ironed out quite a few of the shipping troubles that they've had in the past. Chris, OSF's owner is a great guy and has always taken great care of my needs.

13. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

:stupid:

14. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I had a mechanical failure on my OSF's during a track day last fall. The long bolt that secures the shift knuckle (the one that can be inverted to switch between GP and STD shift) vibrated out, resulting in the assembly dangling from the left rearset while I was on track at speed.

Apart from making it impossible to shift gears and some scratches from dangling and bouncing off the asphalt, the assembly survived intact.

I bought a replacement bolt at Lowes and this time I safety wired it in. Cost of repair was less than $1.

In three years that's the only issue I've had with these rearsets. I'd buy another set tomorrow if I needed one :up: -- as long as I didn't need it anytime in the next four weeks :down:.

15. fairing lurker

osf rearsets for my zx7r

Yeah.. Holy old bike too (actually not that old but clearly old school)

Hate to start new threads. If OSF has actually improved it allows folks to see the past and present as a good thing (hopefully). Lots of great advice and I will be loctiting this to heck and back. I'm just trying to do my first year on a stable bike and then shift to something lighter. A Triumph 675 is in my future.

They already shipped by the way. I should have them in less than 4 days. Sounds like the problem is when someone needs a "piece" of the rearset vs just getting the entire kit.

Regards,

16. fairing lurker

OSF rearsets installed on my ZX7R

Well I finally got them installed.

Shipping - received in less than 4 days (very good)

Material and workmanship - excellent for $320 bucks

Instructions - barely adequate (more pics would help)

Fit and function - with work "ok" Missing shims but didn't need them, missing adapter to allow brake rearset to engage the master cylinder - needed spacer "included" instead of me having to run to the hardware store as the brake mechanism hole was a 6MM and the screw is not wide enough to avoid too much play in the brake lever so I had to modify. I ultimately chunked the screw and used a post bolt that wrapped a 1/4 x 3/4' screw enough so it is a perfect match to the brake mechanism. Added a nut to the screw to keep it firmly attached to the brake lever so there would be no play/stress on the screw or chance of it coming loose.

Had to basically use the front most adjustment on the bolt plates and required that I adjust the lever assembly on the ball joint so that the gear change lever was not pointing straight down. Not a biggie but the supplied shaft was so long I had to do this.

Ultimately my changes improved the design. I also made sure and let the blue threadlock sit "overnight" before riding so I would have a very strong seal on all the bolts. Using this and immediately riding has created problems in the past if it has not set.

Overall pleased but it took some "work" and not all the parts in the documentation were shipped but I got it done.

I wish rearsets had a better heel plate that went "directly above".. I am always struggling to get my heel more firmly planted against the bike and it is dangerously close to the chain in my mind - not something I want to even think about when I am focused on the reference point on the track and trying to get my knee out properly by getting my heel "up and against the frame". None of them address this from what I have seen. All of the protection is up and toward the rear vs up where the heel should be in a good corner. just my 2cents.

Regards,

17. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

FWIW, OSF has additional instructions and installation videos on their website.

18. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Stick with Woodcraft. The OSF customer service sucks.:down: I made the mistake of buying a set for an RC51 and had to modify parts to make them fit, forget about getting any replacement parts or even a return phone call.

Matthew

19. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

The service was bad tree years ago when I bought two sets for an Endurance bike.

I tried to get some extra parts. No phone or eMail response.

20. sokali

sokali Well-Known Member

Need to call OSF for replacement pegs tomorrow.

Has anyone contacted them lately?

Just in case, can I use different pegs with their rearsets?