We don't like biker bucks

Discussion in 'General' started by panthercity, Feb 2, 2009.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

This one may be tough...

Everyone on a motorcycle must wear a safety helmet and protective eyewear (glasses, goggles, face shield, etc.) at all times while the cycle is moving.

Wonder how that would work?

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

They just want more of this

[​IMG]

and less of this ...

[​IMG]

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Myrtle Beach = Redneck Miami. It's a place to go when you don't know any better. They can have it and their miniature golf. Although the Swamp Fox is a fun roller coaster...

Wow, the stupid is strong with that town.

. No more than two motorcycles allowed in a public parking space. (Uhh, wtf purpose does that serve?)
    .No loud mufflers. No straight pipes. No revving of engines or excessive noise. (Can you be specific? What if you don't have a slipper clutch? Is blipping illegal? A curved exhaust is ok?)

In summary, we are not anti-biker. It's just our laws that are anti-biker. See you at the golf course!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

don't we all? :D

6. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

They tried a similar law in a town called New Hope, PA a little over ten years ago; it's designed to inconvenience large groups of bikers.

Back then New Hope was real popular with all sorts of bikers as a Sunday destination town. Bars and restaurants were packed, and a lot of money was brought into the community.

But because New Hope is a bit of an "artsy" town, the residents disliked the bikers and their noise and pushed the town into enacting several ordinances to try and quell the numbers. One of those ordinances was a "one motorcycle per space" rule.

What had been a half mile of motorcycles parked side by side downtown every Sunday became a handful of bikes spread out sporadically. The bikers became aggravated with the draconian parking rules and ticketing, and eventually a majority stopped going altogether.

The shame was that the local businesses saw a significant drop in revenue, and some ended up struggling to pay their leases. I know this from having spoken first hand to several business owners during that time.

The ordinance was eventually overruled by a Pennsylvania state law that prohibited towns from enacting such ordinances.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Precisely, the only logical reason for such a law would be *DING DING* to harass bikers. There are better beaches in SC anyway.

8. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

I look at it like this.................

If you don't like a shitload of people visiting your town........move away from myrtle beach, SC

9. vrooomr6

vrooomr6 Will work for tires

All they had to do was require helmets, and those bikers would have stopped coming :rolleyes:

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yeah but the rub is that State law does not require helmets...wonder how that will play out.?

11. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

Is it just Harley events? Either way.. good for MB.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Why is it a good thing?

13. gearfactory

gearfactory New Member

Charleston to Myrtle Beach Report

Just took a ride up the coast from Charleston to Myrtle Beach. Great riding and a few other groups were in the city obeying the new laws. No problem from cops, was even talking with a few. Stayed a night to meet some friends that flew in on a new flight from Chicago and had a good time on the famous Ocean Blvd. Will go back end of summer probably for a week. No biggie on the new laws, congregating and spending a week in traffic is not in my book of fun anyway, hell I bought to ride.

14. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

omg that"s funny right thar!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

15. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Are you really questioning how that would be effective in that environment?
    Think about it. You've got 9 other riders in your group. You can only park 2 bikes side by side. So you look to spread out. Problem is, there are tens of thousands of other guys that are looking to do the same thing. Those 2 space spots run out real fast.

Do you really think that they will have to look to riders operating their bikes on the fringe of this law? If they had this rally tomorrow, the cops could issue tickets as fast as they could physically write, without even moving from a well chosen, stationary spot. In the right spot, the guys that would break this law would come one right after the other & cops would not at all be needing to look at decelerating bikes "without slipper clutches". There would be PLENTY of illegal for the cops to absolutely thrive on.
    This will happen this year & decrease next year until these guys get the message & stay the F home or go somewhere else.

Yeah? And? All it sounds like to me is that they don't want MB to become a town known year round as a "Biker Rally Central", when in reality it only happens for 3 solid weeks & those 3 weeks overwhelm the towns people.

When your town starts to turn into a dump, you gotta make some laws.
    Ever been to Daytona Beach in say, November? Its a ghost town. It has Bike week, Speed Week & Octoberfest. The rest of the year it's dead. (no offense to any residents).

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And the bikes in Daytona pay the bills for the year. They spend more than all the car races and spring break and other tourist traffic combined.

17. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

Bike week is generally spoken of reverently here.

18. cstem

cstem Active Member

Curious about that myself- I thought those laws were a state function-not city council.

The other rules- 80% of them seem to be laws that are on the books already everywhere and just enforced lazily. Sounds to me that MB could have had it's cake and eat it too (bikes/money and sanity) if they just thought ahead, enforced laws already on the books and did thier job.

19. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

The Myrtle Beach thing is primarily an African American biker event. Surprised a biker group hasn't explored the civil rights side of the issue. I don't have a clue but I'd be curious to know the racial makeup of the MB City Council.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

kneedragger have you ever been to MB or Daytona?