1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati's 30% off

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 24, 2008.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So the Euro is down 30% vs the US dollar in the last couple months. In a perfect world the retail price of European bikes should come down that much as well. I don't see it happening but someone's profit margins are gonna be huge!!! The Yen/$ exchange hasn't changed much so Japanese bikes are not affected.

Wishful thinking I guess.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What will happen is they won't go up as much as they were going to to offset the prices staying lower for 2008.

3. notbostrom

yeah but getting a 1098 for $10,000 does sound nice. Wonder if I go knock on the door at the Factory with a fist full of US $$$ they'd sell me one. Or would I need a mullet? It worked for Sete.

4. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

The profit margin would be huge...if they could sell any. Disposable income is at a premium these days.

5. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Winner winner Chicken Dinner! But we are blowing out 08 1098's right now:up:

6. AZScorpion

AZScorpion Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Ducati's last sales #'s flew in the face of the economy - much to my surprise. Ducati's are like Beer - if you have the passion & the urge, you will find a way!

7. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

So what if it's discounted 30%, it's still a Ducati.:rolleyes:

8. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

They released the 1098 during the last year (financial reporting-wise at least), that's why their #s were so great.

The 696 is doing really well for them right now, but I would expect them to be hit just as hard as everyone else.

9. notbostrom

so eho has the best deal on 848's right now?

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

There's a shop here in Seattle that is giving away an 848...

To whoever buys the Desmosedici that they have on the floor.

11. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I thought all the Desmo's were sold before they hit the showrooms?

12. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Nope. There is one at Beverly Hills Ducati :Puke: that has been sitting on the showroom floor for months now.

Me thinks that was just a marketing ploy - creating the illusion of demand to try to push demand higher

13. vikbarbarian

vikbarbarian Banned

well, if the prices of the ducati really reduces by 30% then all the other Jap bike companies will go bankrupt, and ducati's will be over flooded with orders

14. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me where the dollar was going over the next 12 months. (Pretty sure that Ducati would like to know, too.)

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would Ducati discount their bikes when the Euro is down? That's insane and just plain stupid.

16. notbostrom

Seriously Dave, Are you really missing the point? If the US dealers pay Ducati for the bikes in US dollars and that US dollar is now worth 30% more.... Ducati isn't discounting the bikes it just takes 30% less doalrs to pay them the same amount of euros........

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I didn't miss anything but you did. Why would Ducati, Rolex, BMW or any Euro based, high end company devalue their product by lowering the price while the exchange rate is favorable? They don't flutuate their prices according to the exchange rates. Do the raise prices when the dollar is weak?

I deal in this world and when the dollar is down against the Euro I get slaughtered on profit points (given a fixed sale price of X and buying at Y). Strong dollar and I hold my price at Z gives me a better profit to weather a weak dollar.

Weak dollar/ strong Euro: great for exports.
    Strong dollar/ weak euro: great for imports.

Econ 101.

Is Ducati NA paying in Euros or Dollars? I do both depending on the company and product. and Yen, Pounds Sterling, Krona. . .

18. eddie kaul

eddie kaul Well-Known Member

the 1098 costs more here in italy than it does in the us. it pissed off a lot of italians when they saw the diference. 14000 euros here.

19. got40

got40 On hiatus...

^^+1. My company buys out of japan, and face the same situation, with yen of course.

but the dollar surge is only temporary. sorry

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Euro was at 1.26 this morning, below where I thought it'd go in 2008. I can see sub 1.20 given a few market "factors" that seem to be coming to effect. The 1.60+ rate was artifically high and a balloon that luckily didn't burst (the air came out slowly).

The Yen is very troubling right now.