1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 into 1 Vs. 2 into 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by drgonzo, Mar 26, 2008.

1. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on 2 into 1 extractors Vs. 2 into 2? I am contemplating dumping boith my head pipes into a single Jemco megaphone of the following design.
    1/5" OD head pipes into 1.5x1.5 x 1.75 collector then from 1.75 to 2 inch into a 2" x 12" x 3" Megaphone. Any opinions out there?

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Todd Henning tested everything and the THR/Jemco setup is probably the highest horsepower solution given: 1. ease of bellypan placement per the rules 2. the rest of the THR engine combination of cam, porting, carbs etc.

My own [ limited-no dyno] research indicates the 1.5 primary pipe size is too big for the stock ports. but the guys running that pipe on the CB350GP bikes say it works. the 2-into-one question is probably more of a packaging/weight compromise issue. I have the THR/Jemco setup but had to add an inch to the front of the meg to get the footpegs comfortable......Jesse ran a reworked 2-into-1 vintage Hooker on his stocker and lapped Jennings 5 seconds faster than my v1 so none of this probably matters too much.....

3. drgonzo

I'd say that sounds about right.....I doubt with my stock engine and limited racing experience that I will know the difference..lol!

4. joec

joec brace yourself

2-2 for the cb for the crank config.

jc

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, its hard to argue with dyno testing....especially when 1 of the 2 choices has not been tested. I believe the THP setup "goes with" the Jemco's.

Personally, I like a 2 into 1. In general, it seems to be a torqueier pipe. I've also read where the collector helps scavange from the other cylinder.

The pipe I run has staggered tube dia's. I beleive 1 3/8 (or 1/4) out of the head and down past 1st elbow.....then goes 1 1/2....down to a collector. The dimensions of the mega are also very important.

I dont have any data....but Dean and I have been discussing the topic, and also running some kind of test.

Anyhow, I like my 2 into 1...but I've never heard anything negative about Jemco's.

6. drgonzo

Well right now I might give the 2 into 1 a go as my funds are limited. I can do it for a lot less.

7. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

If I order more shirts (I need to) will you buy Jemcos then? : )

8. drgonzo

Bring it Dean....I ordered the cone i Need to repair my flattened left side today!

9. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

Multis into 1 work when the exhaust timings are equadistant to each other in terms of crank revolution. so a 4 :2 :1 works best when you group cylinders with this characteristic. Taking it down to a 2:1, the cylinders should exhaust 360 degrees from each other...Triumphs do that, CB350's are 180 cranks. Not optimal. Could a 2:1 be better than a 2:2? Maybe, but best? not likely.

10. Tinfoil hat charly

off-topic but related: BUB built an exhaust system for my Suzuki GR650 [180 degree twin] in 1984: it was a 2:2 with a crossover, and one side always ran richer than the other. I told Denis about it and he told me to stick a spacer with a smaller hole in it at one end of the crossover to restrict flow thru to the other side there: it worked--both sides then burned the same. I never saw a problem with a crossover like that on any 360 degree twin, or BMW boxer. The question is, would the uneven pulses thru a cb350 2-into-1 affect anything? I will compare the plugs from Jesse's bike at Jennings and report back......

11. Tinfoil hat charly

update: both plugs look identical....I think this means that even though the 2 sides merge, they are not communicating with each other, [they are both minding their own business]

12. joec

joec brace yourself

it think it has more to do with scavenging, then actual burn. im definitely no expert on it.

jc

13. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

CharlieYs plugs always seemed to look the same too with his custon 2-1. I'm not sure how well it works being as the builder didn't know what the crank design was. Maybe that doesn't matter that much? I know Kenny uses a nice Maney 2-1 on his Norton but that has a 360 degree crank. Does that even make a difference? I mean both bikes still only ignite every 720 degrees.

14. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yes, my plugs look even too...it may have something to do with collector placement within the run.

Dean, I think Charly / Jesse's bike has that 2 / 1 on it you saw on ebay.

I recall when I removed my CL pipes and bolted on that Hooker 2 into 1 there was a difference in power....nothing astronomical...maybe it was a combo of less than half the weight + alittle power?....I noticed slightly more Unfff in mid range, like coming out of a corner....maybe not "More" power, but "Different" power, different places.

I didnt notice any diff between the Hooker and the 2 into 1 I had made.....sounded different....

My current 2 / 1 has equal primary tube lengths that are definetly longer and straighter than the hooker, along with the staggered tube diameters....that hooker had a wild headpipe config....maybe it was like that for a mechanical reason (crank timimg)?

I'll be running what I have for awhile.....at least until I make the move to a fairing...I think I will have to do something different then.