1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would die to go racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by t.v., Mar 21, 2008.

1. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Oh, and I don't think that because one person dies, everyone must suffer. Dieing sucks. No doubt about that. But we're all free to do what we want. No one is being forced to do this. People need to be held accountable for there own actions. You shouldn't change society to accomodate the mistakes of a few individuals. You should single out the problems, and fix them.

2. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Yeah I know. It sounded better in my head. I shouldn't post after getting my head pounded in at work.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

You're missing the point.

Racing is dangerous and people die doing it. If you can't deal with this fact, this hobby might not be for you.

I think we all do the best to prevent that from happening, but you're not going to get a end all be all answer out of anybody. Accidents happened.

I feel that it's our responsibility to take the best precautions as to where you ride, who you ride around, what you wear and how you ride to reduce the risks as much as possible but when it's your time to check out, off you go. Whenever you're riding a 130BHP motorcycle or walking out to the door to get your morning paper.

4. packfan

packfan El Presidente

It can happen anywhere... Riding motorcycles period is dangerous.

Not looking for anything from this next part but a reality check for motorcycle riders everywhere...

I'm on my way to a memorial service for a friend that was killed on a street bike this week...

Just in case the wealthy read this...

"In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to The Robert Cope Memorial Fund, c/o State Employees Credit Union, P.O. Box 639, Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526. Contributions may also be made at any SECU Branch."

God speed to all fallen riders and their families...

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sorry about your loss also.

6. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Spare us your matyr bullshit. For the most part people tried not to offend you but judging from this reply you're an ass. I don't think anyone here needs you to step in and "save" them. People here have most recently lost a dear friend/racer or family member so yes, timing is a little bad. Don't come here saying "bullshit" to them.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've been riding since you were in diapers. Do you really think there is ANYONE on here that is not aware of the inherent dangers or riding a motorcycle - street or track?

8. cyclesico

cyclesico Active Member

bad timming ? obvious to most..refrain from posting..thread will fade away.

9. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I've watched a friend die in the arena when I used to rodeo, I watched a kid die racing BMX bikes, a few years ago a guy got killed when his remote controlled helicopter seperated his head from his shoulders.

Everyday hundreds of people die on the highway.

I've spent the last 24 hours in NICU with my newborn surrounded by babies hooked up to machines so they can have 1/2 a chance to experience life.

Life is an experience and death is only a tragedy if the person never truley lived.

Sports like motorcycle racing are populated by adrenaline junkies. That shot of adrenaline is caused by the fact that you know at any given time on the track you are cheating the odds. If there was no risk there would be no reward.

I have the greatest sympathies for the families and loved ones of racers who have passed. In their Eulogies and memorials there is generally a constant theme.... He loved what he was doing...he lived life to it's fullest. You'll never hear that about people who die on their couches with a remote in their hand.

Celebrate their lives, mourn their loss but never blame the one thing that made them feel alive inside.

10. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

We should end this thread with that post. Well said.

11. Tornacl

Tornacl 1teampolevault

These words strike true to anyone who appreciates life and all it has to offer.That last statement really sums it up well in my heart and thank you for helping me see another angle;) It still hurts like hell right now though...
    Jody

12. lrrs311

lrrs311 r6racer311

I just re-read an article in the letters to the editor section of the dec 07 RRW. Its a letter from Dave LaFrance, about his son Conner's tragic death. In it he writes,passion is life,and persue your passions,also live for today as life is short. Sums up how i feel about racing(and i'm sure many others)perfectly. BTW,shift96 i agree with your posts 100%.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First - quit the holier than thou bullshit. It won't play here.

Your idea hasn't been tried because it doesn't need to be. The problem you supposing exists does not.

You're trying to gain attention for yourself by using a riders death. I've let it slide for right now but you need to either stop or I'll quit being nice.

14. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Amen brother :up:

15. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Yeah, thank god he came along to make you think about safety. I am sure this is the first time you ever thought of it.:rolleyes:

16. t.v.

t.v. Well-Known Member

Hmmm.......I didn't have any intention of offending anyone!! But, this is AMERICA, and we're born offended! Trying to get attention? Nope. Concerned about lives being lost? Very much.
    1. Sorry to the families for thier loss
    2.Sorry to the offended

I feel like i'm going against the government here.
    Well, lets get out there fella's! and hope for the best!
    I love motorcycle racing, and i'll never try to change anything!
    They've already got it all figured out!
    Later

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am always amazed at people like you who are so ridiculously convinced they are right they totally ignore the fact that every single other person they talk to disagrees with them.

You really need to consider the simple fact that you're not fighting the government, you're just wrong.

Nowhere has anyone said that we've got it all figured out. Just that in this instance you are wrong. In this singular instance and on this singular subject we do have it figured out. Especially since you're making false assumptions about experience levels and know not one single thing about how any of the riders involved were killed.

Now get off your little tiny high horse and lets go back to racing.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It's not him, it's the rest of the free world!

19. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

I haven't raced , but trackdays were definitly becoming more and more dangerous as the years passed :( There seemed to be an ever increasing amount of riders on the track that cared about little else than how fast they could get around it at all cost . I do think cornerworkers should be required to report obvious rider mistakes and carelessness more often so someone could talk with the rider about thier actions . At trackdays and the racing events I have attended , most just seem to be brushed of as "stuff happens" and it never gets addressed ....

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the "stuff" whether we step in or not. We talk to riders about things all the time. Many a rider has gotten the dreaded letter from Evelyne. However, the vast majority of the time it's between us and the rider and it's not the business of the rest of the paddock.