1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would die to go racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by t.v., Mar 21, 2008.

1. t.v.

t.v. Well-Known Member

Alright......... I went to 3 races at the end of the season last year,and i've been to two this year. And already i've witnessed two good people exit life.
    I would have to say that it has definitely made me think about what I do for fun.......

Everyone knows the risks,but i'm sure that most feel like death isn't part of the equation.

What I did notice about these guys is that they were inexperienced riders. I don't really know how much experience they had. I don't know what the experience level of the guys they were riding with?
    There are always going to be unforseeable events that take place.
    But.......a little experience can help, when you are trying to get out of a jam.

What i'm getting at is......I feel like it's a wee bit easy to get your race license and get out there and risk your life.
    I feel that all new racers should have.......say.....a half a dozen track days before they can race? Or.......new riders should be monitored more closely to observe thier skill level?

This is just my two cents. Racing is supposed to be fun, i'd like to keep it that way for everyone.

Tim Voth #727

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Good luck with whatever you choose to do with your time!

3. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

Tim, I don't really have a comment on the content of your thread but I have to say that the title comes across as a bit abrasive given the recent events. Maybe it's just me, but seeing this thread under the sticky for Rory just rubs me the wrong way.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It's not just you Gill, the timing of this thread is shitty.

What's your status Tim, how long have you been racing?

5. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

I fully understand what you are trying to say. More than likely your underlying point will fall on deaf ears in this forum.

Racing too risky? Then do track days. This is the typical response.

In my opinion, there is room for improvement in club racing in regards to rider safety through skills development of new riders. I think Ed Bargy has been a big evangelist for this, but in the end racing is a business. More strict rider requirements and more harsh penalties for riding over your head pose a barrier to entry that would hurt the business by driving new riders to other series. Acquiring new customers is a dilemma for any business.

The second part of the equation is customer retention. In racing crash expense drives out many many new riders. From a business standpoint, I have often wondered if more strict skills development (assuming this would translate into fewer novice crashes and injuries) would off set the loss of revenue for reduced new customers going to another series. Everyone should agree fewer crashes mean more money to WERA for entry fees and less money to the parts vendors. Possibly less pressure from family, friends and employers to not race due to injuries and/or the potential for injuries.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt for Sean and Evelyn to sit down with Kevin Elliott to try to come up with a plan for all the newbies from hurting themselves and others because they think they will be the next Jensen, Batey, Acree or Caylor.

Speaking from experience, the numerous times I've ended up on the ground could have been avoided. It was dismissed as "racing incident", but in hind sight it was either from my own ignorance or somebody elses. Ever notice how there are much fewer "racing incidents" in the expert classes? I'm one of the guilty ones who has been on the ground for riding over my head because I didn't know any better. Luckily I've only injured myself. I would have benefitted from a more strict skills development program.

None of this is supported by fact or some complex analysis. Just an opinion from observing WERA races over the past 20yrs.

6. teampolevault

teampolevault Well-Known Member

So living life to its fullest and doing what you truly love is wrong??:down: Please go elsewhere with this thread, you are going to really catch a ration of shit right now on this topic on this board....:tut: You could get killed on your way to the grocery store in your vehicle(accidents happen)...the time ,place and manner in which we die is really not 100% in our control, no matter what we choose to believe... there is a bigger picture that we are just a small part of... So please live your life the way you wish and maybe be a little more timing sensitive on your topics...thanks
    Jody

7. paulco135

paulco135 Well-Known Member

yea the title is a lil bit touching. but i dont think he means anything bad about rory. what i hear rory was an experienced rider, but some of the other guys that were involved in that crash may not have been. think about it. anyone can take the wera school on friday with no track experience get their licsense and race the next day. maybe their should be more track time required before you rub elbows @ 130 mph.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You can die from damn near anything. Stuff happens and can not be controlled. If you don't want to take a risk to race there's always trackdays. Trackdays too risky, well you can ride dirt bikes or street bikes. They too risky, well there's always gardening or paint dry watching.

Hey, I got no problem with you waying the risks and chiming in. Just remember that used motor oil makes good fertilizer.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The newbies may need more track training?

Some of the people here sure the fuck could use some sensitivity training.:mad:

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You could buy a good sturdy rocking chair, plop yer ass down in it, and die of some bs that creeps up on you.

Or you can Go have some fun, doing something you like...

Tough Choice for some.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

BC, I don't see it as insensitive just badly timed. Some people are just different.

I use dark humor to keep from tearing my eyes out and going insane about on track incidents. Others deal with it in their own ways.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Dave, go look at the RIP thread. Someone always wants details, and are too stupid to realize the well wishes will be read by the family. This thread was slightly more appropriate for me to vent in.

Cheers

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah man, that doesn't always sit well with me. What makes me go to def con 1 is other shit that can sometimes go on like that clown that asked quesions on suspension on the thread.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Whats gets me is they know it's not good timing,or taste when they start out with............I hope no one is offended........I hope this is OK, I mean if you gotta ask its not.

Oh well, happy friday

15. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Very touchy thread so people should really tread lightly. I have raced and have done track days and I feel track days or MORE dangerous than racing. There is a very high level of inexperience at track days and some of the organizations don't enforce the rules.

People know the risks and don't really need to be reminded of it. Show me one racer who does not already know what you are pointing out. I don't think you meant anything by it but I agree that given the recent events this thread should just be deleted and all the negative name calling etc. just go away.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More experience will never change the little mistakes that can add up to a rider being severely injured or killed. We look at every incident and see if there is anything we can do to change our procedures or track or anything to mitigate them. Some have resulted in changes, most have not because they were more a timing issue than anything else. I'm not sure what other incident the original poster is talking about but there is no change in our rider requirements that could make a difference in any death or serious injury that I've ever seen.

We do look at our schools and the requirements we have. We reevaluate them on a regular basis and honestly, more track time at a track day pace makes riders faster at their first race but not necessarily any safer.

17. t.v.

t.v. Well-Known Member

The timing is bad? bullshit! I wanted to say something when it is fresh in everyones mind!
    Mongo, I don't think you should dismiss an idea that has never been tried.
    Business or no business, if ONE life is saved, then it was worth it!
    No one likes to talk about this shit,but the fact is, when people are dying, there might be a problem!?
    Anyways,sweep it under the rug and let's get on with business cuz that's what racing is.
    No disrespect to ANYONE! I'm trying to get a point across! I felt like it was my duty. If I fail,at least I know that I tried!
    later

18. Tornacl

Tornacl 1teampolevault

May God bless you and watch over you at whatever you decide to do...race,trackdays,etc.,etc....

19. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Bikes are getting faster, and faster, and faster. And I'm a firm believer that humans are rapidly becoming less intelligent, as a whole. I understand why we do things we do, both on a personal level and on a business level. And I understand the risks, and how they apply to what we do, and why we do it. But at some point, maybe when 600's weigh 200lbs wet and top out at 200mph, some one will make a change. What that change is, and who makes it, I really don't want to speculate on. I'm just a racer, and I'm happy to have the resources available to me to take advantage of.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!