1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customized Pro Bike Numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Feb 7, 2008.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Its too bad the AMA wont let the riders use the "customized" bike numbers all year, such as was seen on the Yosh bikes in testing, or all of the Moto GP bikes for their season. Gives the look some flair, and not just the kewl "office space" flair. Come Daytona, it will be back to the boring block font.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Numbers are something used by the AMA to actually score the riders as well as identify them for other reasons throughout the course of a race - if a rider is misidentified all sorts of bad things can happen from losing a race to bad medical information. The numberplates are an area for pure work, not for being fancy. They have the entire rest of the motorcycle to play with and make it look pretty, there is no need to mess with something as important as the single identifier as to which rider is which.

3. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

Actually i believe stylized numbers are legit all season long in superbike only

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could be, I haven't looked at that portion of the rules lately. Although with the riders and bikes still looking a lot alike I'd be leery personally.

5. fourandsix

What would you be leary about?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm leery because people can get riders mixed up. There was at least one issue at Fontana last year where a rider got called in by the corner workers incorrectly because they couldn't see the numberplates (hence the rule change for 08).

Too much on the line to add a bit of potential confusion that really doesn't need to exist.

7. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Yeah, all of them wearing those funny colorful hard hats and those funky looking leather jumpsuits. They must all shop at the same place. :D It's difficult to know who is who!

8. fourandsix

Well get used to it as it is legal for Superbike in 2008. They have to be pre approved by the AMA before being used.

9. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Why get used to it? It doesn't matter to any of us who are not racing that series or another series on the same weekend what Superbike does.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  10. fourandsix

The original topic was AMA using stylized numbers it has nothing to do with wera

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pre-approved will remove a lot of the issues I'm talking about. Side plates will help as well. Either way, what's it matter to you if I like them or not? My reasons are my own and based on my experiences, not like it's a big deal. I don't run the AMA, just occasional podunk club races.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Take a look at the title of the BBS some day.....

13. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Ok, I misread it or something (or not). I changed it to be more generic for you.

14. fourandsix

Mongo i totally understand what bbs I am on. Just was replying with the facts as they pertained to the original post. I also know that WERA is not a podunk series. Just was saying what i read in the AMA rulebook.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  15. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I know the AMA told Yosh to get rid of the blue outline they haad around the 1's on Spies bike before and put a "normal" number on it

16. orgsxrracer

orgsxrracer Well-Known Member

That was waaaayy back in 2007. 2008 is a new year w/new rules. :up:

17. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

anybody know how podunk got to be used to refer to small towns/things ?

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Mongo -

I've scored a race with the rules now.. What's it like with the side plates.. I was looking at thenew Honda SBK. That's almost too low if passing your at 120mph..

19. orgsxrracer

orgsxrracer Well-Known Member

I am not WERA but In the AMA, the side plates will be helpful at some tracks for our finish line camera but others where bikes are leaned over, like daytona, then the # on top of the tail was helpful and in the case of daytona, we will have no way other than looking at rider gear, to determine the rider.

I think sides are still more readable than tails overall, but some places they will be a problem. Even today, the normal tail sections can be issues at certain tracks depending on the view of the rider and the corner etc.

20. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

I greatly prefer 'normal' numbers from a cornerworker aspect. At times the only differnce that you can tell is a leather/bike color & am/ex from the plate colors. Plus more than once I have had to piece together pieces of body work from a big off to determine a bike number to call it in. Get to fancy and that gets hard. On that a Random note: Calling control after you frantically asked for an ambulance NOW, it is bad form when they control asks for a number to say "Wait, I am still busy picking up body parts"