1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which GPS all knowing BBS???

Discussion in 'General' started by nikponcherello, Nov 2, 2007.

1. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I want to buy a GPS. Just so I don't get lost. Something fairly basic I think. Doesn't need to tell me exactly when to turn right or left. That's okay, but more interested in just plotting a course or putting in a point and figuring out how far away from there I am and in which direction. I'm totally ignorant to the features that these things have.

I'm going to rub my computer for a minute and I expect to see an intelligent answer pop out.

2. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

For your car? Or handheld?

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Tom Tom Rider II!

I base this on zero personal experience since I have no GPS myself.

4. I like my Microsoft Streets & Trips program for my Laptop. It has a GPS module that plugs into the USB port so I can use it while I'm traveling in a car or on a plane...that is pretty cool to use on a plane by the way. I can save maps and print them out to give to others. Plus it's only $100 for the program...I've had for about a year now and love it. My boss has the big Megallen GPS in his car...it's pretty nice but way expensive.

5. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Garmin Nuvi 350.

Had it for about 6 months now and couldn't be happier. I've used it all over the south and midwest. Never tried in in NYC or anything yet. It saves me tons of printouts on Mapquest....think green!

6. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I prefer the Garmin Geko. Cheap, waterproof, smaller than my cellphone and I dont need no stinking maps anyway.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

A few weeks ago, I got a refurbished Garmin Streetpilot 2610 fromthese people for $189. It doesn't look like they have that model anymore, but they have others. I was VERY pleased with the transaction and the unit suits my needs for use on the bike and in the car.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Oh yeah, with a 2 gig data card, the maps for the entire US store in the unit.

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Garmin Zumo 550

Not cheap but it comes with alot of extras and the entire N. American maps. Primarily designed for a motorcycle but can be used in a vehicle just fine. I've had one about 2 months and like it so far. It has XM, MP3 and FM capability also.

10. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I liked my Garmin Nuvi 350 until some ass munch TSA or baggage handler at Dulles stole it out of my luggage flying back from the Summit National. I'll probably end up replacing it with a 600 series that has a little bigger screen and the built in antennae for the traffic radio information.

-steve

11. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

holy shit do i love my garmin nuvi 350.

all pre-loaded maps, touch screen, batter or acc power, tons of features, about a billion pre-loaded locations....i even use it for phone numbers of businesses!!!

rocks.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Anything by Garmin. The Nuvi series is GREAT!!

I have an old Garmin GPS V that I connect to my laptop and use the most recent Mapsource maps... works great and it’s a 17” screen :D

13. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

Garmin nuvi 350, nuff said.

14. EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the Garmin 200w. Basic GPS doesn't tell you street names and what not. I have seen it for about 350 if it goes down around 250 I may pick one up. Problem is I really want one for the bike. Um not the race bike. I guess if it starts to rain I just have to take it off. Cause the only one I like thats water proff is almost 1k. and 1k can get me a few things for the bikes.

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

My GPS V is waterproof to 10 feet... Perfect for a bike.

16. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Take a look at the Mio 310x. Similar to the Nuvi, but way cheaper.

Has all the basics. Can be used handheld or mounted in a vehicle, and comes with US and Canada maps and lots of Points of Interest. Just Google it up - there's tons of info out there.

Really cool part is that it can be unlocked, so you can install other programs that work on WinMobile systems (PDAs or Smartphones.) I was also able to install European maps and Topo maps, as well as a bunch of other apps.

Costs around $175, and you'll want to add a big SD card.

here's a couple links to get you started:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mio-C310x-Portable-Navigation-System/dp/B000HHYEKI

http://www.miogps.com/US/products_c310xfeatures.htm

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=37

17. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

Probably handheld, but for use in the car.
    That Garmin thingy might be the way to go.

18. Hard Corps

Hard Corps Well-Known Member

What this guy and all the rest of these jerky nuts said. I love my NUVI 350!

19. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

I love my Garmin 660

20. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

found a solution for that.

on the bike, i lay my garmin under the clear plastic map protector on top of the tank bag. cut a small hole from inside/underneath to run the power cord up to it. voila. touch screen works through the clear plastic, and protected from rain.