Whos going to Mid-Ohio?

Discussion in 'General' started by brian, Jul 22, 2002.

1. brian

brian Well-Known Member

I was in limbo being it would take away from my training on my dirt bike, but.........being I broke my wrist on friday I will be there. I'm probably going for all 3 days now! Anyone else going?

2. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Leaving tomorrow.

3. brian

brian Well-Known Member

cool! i'll look for you guys around the arclight tent.

4. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I'm leaving for Mid-Ohio Wednesday. First time there, I'm planning on setting up a tent at the track, is this a good move? Has anyone ever camped there?

5. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

Tell Emma's dad to kick some butts... we're rooting for him.

6. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Last year we camped at the Jellystone campground across the interstate from the track. Fairly clean and not too far away. I thought the track camping looked a little too rustic. The road to it(Jellystone) has a cool Isle of Mann feel to it. It unloads the suspension at all the right(NOT) times. Der Dutchman is a great place to eat. Pies go on sale around closing time on Saturday(not open on Sunday). The weather was awesome and Miguel really hung it out in the 600 race by running off the inside of Gobert down the long straight. Have fun. I wish I was going again this year. My first child is due in four weeks and the wife said NO. Maybe the baby will come early and we can make the Final round at VIR. Baby's first Superbike race, yeah!

Later days
    Crusty

7. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

I'm getting up there Thursday night. I'll be working the RRW booth all three days, so come by and say hello! :)

8. emeyer

emeyer Well-Known Member

When I camp for the races I stay at Clearfork Marina and Camp Ground. It's on S.R. 97, a mile down from the track entrance (the back entrance) and is very nice. Bathrooms with showers and such plus it's on a lake. You better make reservations though. (419) 884-2877.
    Ed

9. Laurie Acree

Change of plans. We are leaving Thursday.

10. Laurie Acree

Thanks Eric.:)

11. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I'll never go back there again, untill new management takes over.

The track Nazis are the worst, my pit guy was kicked out a few years ago for riding a BICYCLE in the pits.

This was a Saturday, we were back Sunday, they did'nt say NOT to come back.

Then, of course, came the massive show of force to kick him out AGAIN.

Hell, they kicked out Kevin Schwantz the same year, a 500GP world champ- for riding a pit bike.

They are a bunch of Assh*les!!

How about some other horror stories??

12. wera313

Thanks for the info guys... My orginal thought would be that it'd be nice to wake up to morning practice on Thursday morning!!?!

If there aren't any showers at the track I will definatly be staying down the road. Where is the best place to catch action at the track? I imagine at the end of a straight but are there any other particular places where I should setup? Thanks again for the info...

13. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Camp? Not at Mid-O...

Uh, well, the hillside atop the keyhole is a popular spot, especially if you can get a spot right underneath the billboard, because it will be shady-est the longest. Also, just after entering the infield on the "car" bridge (over turn one, at pit out) make a quick left (as you're headed in) and you can see the bikes exit one and come down the back straight entering the esses (turn 5? 6?). The esses themselves are always popular (just down stream from above), and I like the hillside above Thunder Valley. It's shady, a good spot to spectate from and reasonably close to bathrooms, vendors and the mid-way. Don't forget the inside of the carousel, you get a long look at the bikes and can sometimes see the run to S/F.

Is anyone getting together for a drink or anything?

-Wish

14. F2racer

F2racer Well-Known Member

I will be at the back side of the esses. On top my buddys motor home. I love it you can see the from the kink to the bridge. I only live 7.6 miles up the rode. So I get to sleep in my own bed :D :D :D . But I stay at the track until it is time to go watch the action out on park ave. Always fun

15. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Don and I will be there. Not sure when we'll get there. Maybe Friday night. Depending on what you want to get out of the AMA Mid-O experience, camping at the track may or may not be for you. Don and I went last year and camped at the track. We got eaten alive by mosquitos (gee, just like Nelson :D ), but we had a blast! Of course, we went with the intent of partying. I won't say what happened to one of us Saturday night, but we did quite a bit of drinking that night. Yeah, there was noise pretty much all night, but we didn't care. We expected it, so were not disappointed. If you're wanting to just go watch racing and then have a quiet evening somewhere, staying at the track is not for you. Unless you're not staying in the camping area. We didn't think the track Nazi's were out of control. We saw quite a few racers and crew riding around on motorized pit bikes. They may have loosened up a little since the last time some of you were there. And at night, there was definitely a police presence in the camping area, but they weren't getting in the way of people just having fun.

16. dwheeler

dwheeler Well-Known Member

I'll be there.
    The grandstands make a nice spot to watch.

And have to eat at The RoadHouse

17. Zooke158

Zooke158 Suzuki T500 Racer

Just came back from racing at AHRMA Vintage Motorcycle Days this weekend and there were no Track Nazis in sight. We had a friend on an old Suzuki Go-fer just tearing up the place and no one said anything. As long as the bikes had a liscens plate they could go nearly anywhere. One guy had the plate strapped to his back. :eek: And the plate we found in the swap meet was an expired Michigan plate.

We had the great time and they were very easy this year.

They do have showers there. But distance from the camping past the paddock area.

18. wera313

I'm planning to get down to Mid-O Wednesday night. Is this too soon? Will there be promoter practice on Thursday? If anyone else is up for having a drink or meeting up during the weekend I'm up for it... I haven't been there before so wouldn't know what's good in the area.