1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by phantom 309, Oct 10, 2007.

1. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

Well how many 2 strokes blew up in practice today.:moon:

2. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

You're mean!

:Poke:

3. ValuCycle

ValuCycle Well-Known Member

Both of them.

4. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Not as many as the # of diesels that oiled the track... :Poke:

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Timmy, if you'd have been there, you'd know for sure...
    I don't believe anyone 'blew up,' there were some seizures,
    and some riders (me included) had popping out of gear
    problems...I wish you'd shake off this love-hate thing:moon:
    you have with our beloved 2-strokers, just stop by my pit area
    anytime and you can sit on my Yellow Peril, work the controls,
    bounce up and down, etc...

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A push rod, drum brake single showed the way to the overhead cam Japanese twins in the two classes it ran . . . and it even took the overall win in a class that started ahead of it - V2 (disk brake class).

7. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I witnessed that watching at turn seven: since my own overhead cam jap twin project is stalled [won't start actually-working on it] I was fantasizing building an xl350 based bike: Russell probably [just guessing here] has around 45 hp, what do you figure your BSA has?

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

43 hp . . . on a very good day.

9. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

That much? :D

10. phantom 309

He guesses,and I have done that before and been way off.The dyno is a wounderful thing.:up:

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Baloney! spoken like a lawyer!:D

I heard from an impeccable source that your bike actually tore
    a big chunk out of an almost new Avon rear tire...now that
    requires more than 43 horses...judging from a personal inspection
    of your factory Amal carb and intake manifold (with scientifically
    designed turbulence ridges built in), you've got at least 63 horses
    there, all of them necessary to carry the load...errr, propel you
    along to moto-greatness...but we need to now about your factory
    connections, so 'fess up.

Transporter

"What size is this main jet?"
    -D. Rutherford, 2007 GNF

12. Tinfoil hat charly

Yikes! A stock CB350 made almost 28 hp. A stock XL350 made almost 23hp. Bill Bell's Long Beach Honda Baja racers made about 38hp back in the day. That is some kind of pushrod single you have built! I wonder what Roper's Manx makes?

13. phantom 309

Same as mine, mid 60's But then again, I have not seen for my self.:up:

14. phantom 309

Charles, I have love for your beloved 2 strokes,I just like to get you guys going.:up: I may even ride one next week at Barbers.

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A stock B50 makes 28 hp. I'd put the B50 on a dyno, but I can't find one locally with a brake for the drive drum. Holding the clutch in while the drum stops rotating will weld the throw-out rod. A "modern" Goldstar is good for about 58 hp. The modern G50's and Manx's are mid-60's per Tim's analysis. But, they are also pretty maintenance intensive (pistons tend to crack regularly, Ti valves stretch, the roller bearing bottom ends don't like high compression, hence the plain bearings, etc). Modern metallurgy and machining have allowed tremendous increases in time proven designs. It still takes a pilot willing to get into, through and out of corners faster than the next guy on a similar machine. That's why Tim Joyce is the 2007 500 Premier National Champ, in his first year in the class. :up:

16. charles

charles The Transporter

will you put a megaphone on it?:up:

17. phantom 309

Dave, the manx has proven to me to be rock solid.22 races and one piston and two vaves mid season.I would love to own my own but may have to just dream.Most of the new ones have plain bearing rods now. the piston and valve where just preventative measures.:beer: see ya at Barbers

18. Tinfoil hat charly

Hey 83BSA--off topic but Max's XR680R is undergoing a rethink to stay competitive in dsb and clubman next year--in your baja project did you run into any good exhaust system info?

19. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yep, Pro Circuit T4 stainless head pipe and canister. Excellent service. Excellent product. Great performance. It woke up an already awakened and uncorked BRP. As you know, the uncorked BRP is the real deal. The T4 pipe system was another leap forward in performance. It really lets the Pig breathe, and when you start moving that much air, great things happen performance-wise. I have a spare XR650R I'm thinking about motard-ing or dirt tracking. Either way, they are a hoot. The Baja race bike now resides with a plate in CO for riding out there when the seasons permit, and I have my dual sported XR here in ATL. Let me know what plans you have for the race bike . . . I'm always interested in a big single project.

Cheers,

20. Tinfoil hat charly

yes--I rode Max's spare XR650R briefly up at 10,000 ft near Ouray in August and it just didn't even seem to care what gear it was in! Anyway, Max has been complaining that his motard won't turn, even though it is lowered/ stiffened, has been converted to 17's etc: the solution is further lowering the front to steepen up the rake, but GMD cautioned that the trail has already been reduced alarmingly, although Max has not complained about hi-speed stability--so it appears the next step is grafting on some sort of big Honda sport bike fork with a center axle location to preserve the trail measurement...then of course I'd like to put on clip-ons, rearsets, and a good fairing which will probably provoke Mongo to kick Max out of supermotard! While we're doing all this, I'd like to move the radiators to unkink the exhaust head pipes.....