1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh huh.....uh, what the hell??

Discussion in 'General' started by Paige, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jenn305

jenn305 Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I taught 9th grade geography in South Carolina - and no she was not one of my students. I did teach low level at a rural school and a large number of my students could not label the 7 continents on a world map the first day or class or label the U.S. It is very sad and very disappointing when they reach high school with such little knowledge! And I have to defend public school teachers and say that you can only do so much with what you have to work with.

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"And I have to defend public school teachers and say that you can only do so much with what you have to work with."

You talking `bout the students or the budget?

3. jenn305

jenn305 Well-Known Member

the students - $$ is nice but if you are creative you can teach no matter what the budget is.

4. I see your point Jiggy! I understand and agree with you. I have seen a couple of things with Homeschooling parents. There are two types, maybe more. 1. Parents that are teaching homeschool as an alternative to public schools because of situations like ours was, or similiar. 2. Those who choose to homeschool to shelter their kids from the world in general. These are the kids you hardly ever see outside, they are never playing with other kids, and these are the types that show up and doors like Spicoli and freeze. They only know their parents so when they are confronted by other adults they are afraid. If you met my son you'd have no idea that he was homeschool. None! Other then the fact I told ya. Granted he was only homeschool one year.
    One of his girlfriends in middleschool was homeschool along with her brothers. She didn't get to go to a public school until I believe 7th grade. You can't tell with either of those kids either. Again, they were not the sheltered type. They played with friends, went to the movies, did sports, you name it.

So your right there are those who end up lacking those skills you mentioned. However, most of those skills can be fixed quickly. I would rather have that situation then a bunch of dense kids that don't know or haven't learned anything past the 9th grade because they are so far behind or left behind. At that point most of them would be very difficult to help in a public school without the help of a special education program.

For the most part I don't have a problem with public schools. I think what needs to be worked on is:

higher educated teachers getting just pay.
    smaller classroom sizes (student wise)
    councelors that actually do their jobs
    updated books
    and going back to the teaching method of IN SCHOOL teaching, instead of relying on parents to teach the lesson in which most are not qualified to do properly.

My wife worked at a elementary school where she worked with two kids that were of special needs care all day! This is partially why my wife made a good teacher.:D

5. O.R.A.

O.R.A. Banned

I was homeschooled. I don't see any harm in doing it.

6. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

There's ignorance and stupidity in the world. Give a stupid person as much knowledge as you want, they'll still be a liability to someone. Just identify the stupid kids, then teach them how to carry cement bags from point A to point B instead of worrying about how many continents they can name.

7. O.R.A.

O.R.A. Banned

The world needs trash collectors and broom pushers.

8. :D I think they teach that class in College...it's called "Time Management" :crackup: :crackup:

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of educated people that can't sweep a floor.:D

10. Liv2Win

Liv2Win Grad School = No Racing

if she can't, then how is she representing SC honestly??

11. TuesdayHugh

TuesdayHugh Four Day Weekend Dude

Not a problem. We can import them.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

She's already dropped the ball on that. She made it out of HS not getting pregnant.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yep and if I only had one student in every one of my classes, I would venture to guess that the LEAPS forward would be huge also.

If I had known teaching was soo easy, I wouldn't have bothered going to college.

Yes... I am a public school teacher...and yes your comments offend me.

Flame on.....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

To add to my pride, I live about 20 miles from Lexington. Some day she may serve me a hamburger.

We have had our son in two different schools, the first he was barley making it, and the second he went to A/B honor roll for just over a year and a half. It seems the teachers you get make a big difference. They didn't get easier, we just founds some that would listen to us and get to know him.

Now maybe he can teach me to spell and proof read

15. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I had an 8th grader who was a D student and in trouble all the time. I took him racing and he instantly became a B student and stopped getting in trouble. He graduated HS with a 3.5 average. I recommend racing as a motivator, as in, oh, you wanna race? No problem. Stop getting Ds and start behaving. Relapse, and you stay home.

It worked great.

16. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

How ironic our 2nd grade daughter has a test on labeling the continents and oceans this Friday. :D

17. stickboy274

So, does that work better than death threats?

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Worked here with both boys...
    Bad Grades= No MX Racing..

19. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yeah, because they never really believe that you'll follow through. And face it, you won't.

20. stickboy274

Most days, your right.

Most days