Shiite like this pisses me off.......

Discussion in 'General' started by tonybrownphoto, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Brian talks too much :D

2. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

It's pretty simple, really. The AMA is a sanctioning body. The promoter pays a fee to the AMA for the sanction, then rents the track. In this case, the promoter and the track owner are one in the same. The promoter takes the risk (nobody shows up, it rains, etc.) and also reaps the rewards (huge crowds, sunny skies).

The AMA would incur minimal costs if the race(s) were held over to Monday. Basically, another day's food and lodging for the crew, an extra day's wages for their non-salaried staff, etc.

The promoter (Mid-Ohio), however, would incur huge costs -- staff, crew, workers numbering into the hundreds would have to paid to work an extra day. As many of these folks work regular jobs during the week, a mad scramble ensues to replace those who can't work on Monday. Plus I'm sure they'd have a substantial cost to buy out Keith Code, who had the track rented for his school on Monday.

Also, Dunlop had testing scheduled elsewhere and faced logistical issues with staying over. And, in the past, the Speedvision crew usually has not been able to stay over for a Monday race, meaning no television coverage.

I guess my point is: it's okay to be pissed off, just understand who you should be ranting about and why.

3. I am not pissed about the lack of racing, just how it was handled. The fans got totally f#cked on this deal. Damn shame really. I am all about safety and totally understand the riders/ AMA's point of view but the way they handled it is what I have an issue with. I was there all weekend and after FX had nothing to do so did not really care either way, it got me home earlier. The point is why would you keep taking fans money without telling them? Then run one race to save yourself all kinds of refund money and screw the fans and the riders that were looking to recover some of the expense they spent to get there and qualify. Is the AMA paying prize money based on qualify position for the races not run? Refunding entry fees?

4. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

I would have gone to Firestone anyway and watched the golf. That is how super lame AMA "same two up front" racing has become. When JU runs the show and every team rides equal affordable equipment I will come back. Unless of course Mr. KWS gives me a smokin' deal on a new Leo Vince system...I will come support them for sure!

5. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

+1

From what I understand no purses were paid for the races not run and the entry fees were credited to the next race. Kind of screws the locals doing a one-off.

6. Kind of screws the AMa regulars struggling from round to round too.

7. Matthillica

Matthillica Member

[​IMG]

There were people racing pussy this weekend?! I always miss the good shit.

How do they handle in the rain?

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If I had to go through life looking like that, I would be angry too.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Slippery....

10. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

Ugliness may explain the anger, but what explains the stupidity?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Genetic homogeniety

12. Matthillica

Matthillica Member

No one has raced hers in a very long time, maybe?

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe she had to many DNF's

14. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Probably a lack of sponsors and difficulty picking up a willing rider.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

See how it all ties in nicely together? :D

16. Matthillica

Matthillica Member

Even a Snell approved helmet offers no protection on that ride.

17. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

Your the one bashing people , read your own posts!

18. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Huh? I think we all are kinda saying the same thing here. Liek Mongo stated - I sometimes talk too much. Oh, well. I just understood that the AMA would have had to basically pay Mid-Ohio for Monday's already scheduled event. The dollar amount was significant and the amount would have been an extra cost to the AMA.

Whatever the case, the SS racers got the shaft. Wasn't bashing anyone. I was trying to voice the frustration of the SS racers who dumped a shit pile of cash into the event for nothing in return. I understand it would be like crashing on the first lap of the race any other time, but to 40 riders?

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

The popularity of non-oval (read: Non-NASCAR) motorsports in this country pales in comparison to European ones. The fact is that the reward for the risk just isn't there to warrant 75-100 million dollar road course venues.

Until the fan and sponsor base is sufficient to support these "Euro-spec" courses, we're stuck with what we currently have. With the cost of borrowing money going up and debt financing difficult to secure as long as equity investments continue to yield double-digit returns (why should I buy bonds at 7%-9% when I'm averaging 21.6% over the last 12 years in equity investments?) year after year it just isn’t going to happen. Traditional institutions and large institutional investors still see these tracks as high-risk investments and insist on crazy (like 2X investment) returns.

These teams and riders are going to whine themselves out of jobs. Great, we'll have two or three "safe" venues and the rest will say screw MC racers and bring in more four-wheel programs and club events that pay well and don’t bitch and whine about every little thing. I don't consider safety a little thing but I heard enough bitching and whining this weekend to choke a f'in whale! It is already starting to happen. I know a relatively new venue that said "we could go forever without a motorcycle race ever happening here again, they're a pain, cheap and complain about everything"

FWIW, I listened to one team owner bitch incessantly about “the f#$king trackday assholes taking up space on HPL” and “the greedy promoter/track owner who should do promoters practice for free” Thursday at Mid-Ohio. A certain FX rider’s dad bitched to (not at me, I want this to be clear) me for 30-minutes about the same situation. I told him that we were subsidizing the day to the tune of about $9500 and if he and his kid didn’t mind ponying up $230 more per bike for practice next season it could be arranged. He said $330 per bike was ludicrous. I asked him if he owned the track if me asking him to loose $9500 in revenue and subsidize a PROFESSIONAL roadrace practice wasn’t ludicrous? He didn’t have much to say, which is rare. FWIW, I like this rider and his Pops is a good guy too. I only use this example to illustrate a skewed thought process many racers and team owners seem to have. This is BUSINESS when it stops making sense for track owners to promote this business it will go away.

I firmly believe that racing is a supply side economics model. Offer the public something that knocks their socks off and they’ll support it. Don’t and they won’t. Too many of these teams and their owners think they are in the business of racing, I got news for you, you are in the entertainment business first and foremost, everything else is secondary.

Ok, take aim at me and commence firing!

20. What's the problem?

The riders ARE pussies. They should be forced to race BSB for a year, then they'll be beggin for a wet Mid Ohio.