racing tires

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by hondaman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. hondaman

hondaman Member

I have a nighthawk 650.front tire is 100/90/19 back is 130/90/16.
    IM useing this bike to get me started in a vintage class and will get something different once I get some time under my belt.
    can anyone give me a good idea on what tipe of tires to use on this bike.

2. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

pm stick bout the stones
    they're the best! :up:

that and bridgestone actually gives contingency to vintage (though i suck and dont win so i cant get money

3. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

stickboyracing.com

He know a little about Hawks too.

4. onefastgs500

onefastgs500 Well-Known Member

avons in those sizes

5. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

You're really gonna race a Nighthawk?

6. onefastgs500

don't let'em pick on ya I raced a 77kz1000 inv5 first year .had fun didn't fall down learned a lot and finished mid-pack ,and used avon roadrunners.good luck!!:beer:

7. Wade Parish

I ain't pickin'. Just askin'. :D

8. hondaman

hondaman Member

I can take what ever comes my way no problem here.
    right now thats what I have to start out with.
    cant afford to by another bike so Ill use what I have for now.
    I think its better than not doing anything.time on the track is learning time.
    IM not trying to be a champ I just want to race.
    fasttrax has some older classes I can get into.

9. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

That bike should have been able to win V5. That is the type of bike the class was created for.

10. onefastgs500

the kz1000 was exactly what the class was SUPPOSED to be for I consinstently got beat by performance indexed bikes
    maybe the powers that be should realize that bikes that are performanced indexed into a class should not consistently win.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A 650 Nighthawk win V5? It is possible I suppose, but not likely with a TZ500, an ex-factory F1B Ducati and built to the max RZ350's running in the class. Nonetheless, bring it out and join the fun. For me, part of the fun and challenge is (1) turning a sows ear into a solk purse (challenge) and (2) passing folks riding silk purses while on the sow's ear (fun). :beer:

12. Wade Parish

Absolutely, mang! :up: :D

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Did you that the Nighthawk 650 motor put out the most hp/liter of any 4 stroke streetbike motor up to that time? That was a jewel of a motor...

...not so sure about the rest of the bike :D

14. hondaman

hondaman Member

I didnt know that.the bike does run really good.IM doing wat I can with it.
    It is starting to look better now.I think IM going to use the Avon supervenom
    tires.IM in the process of making a tail section right now.

15. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

back in the mid 80's we put alot of fairings on stock 650 nighthawks--they wobbled until we put progressive fork springs in them!!

16. WERA106v

WERA106v Well-Known Member

What year Nighthawk? The 82 is a single cam and runs in V4. I raced my 81 cb650 (same bike) in v4 for two seasons.

Steven Barber

17. hondaman

hondaman Member

My nighthawk is an 85.

18. Godzuki

Godzuki Well-Known Member

my first street bike was a 83 night hawk 550, and my buddy had the 650, the odd thing was we couldnt realy find any kinda difference in speed between the 2 neither one was faster than the other. i loved that bike, right up till i started liking corners hehe. i took a local 35 mile an hour corner at 80 and need to change my shorts after that hehehe. either way a great bike i know i loved mine. good luck on it.

19. hondaman

hondaman Member

My nighthawk is a 1985 650 ive done a little bit of work to it and it runs really good for what it is.it is really lite and handles good.IM really looking forward to raceing it.I know it is not a full blood racer but it will be fun.I tried to load a pic of the bike
    but it is not working.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006