1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove radiator fan??

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Nov 1, 2005.

1. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

How many of you do this??

I've heard the bike runs cooler with it removed.

2. Sunny

Sunny Banned

From what I know........

For a race/track bike, removal of the radiator fan may allow the bike to run cooler at speed if you are overheating slightly with the fan (minimum coolant temperature after engine is fully warmed up is still going to be dictated by the themostat if you are using one). This is because the removal will improve air flow thru radiator fins at speed to help reducing the chance of slight overheating (if you are overheating a lot, most likely your air/fuel ratio is too lean and/or something is wrong with your motor). However, the bike has a higher chance to overheat at low speed and/or on the grid while waiting/revving for the "start" flag to be dropped with the fan being removed (lose the capability of extra forced air flow).

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

4 race bikes purchased from a pretty fast National rider.. fans all removed. The bike runs cooler on track, less weight, less stuff to go wrong, never had an overheating problem even here in FL. On one long delay on the grid of a Moroso shootout i had a minor amount boil out and the temp was at 226deg but as soon as the flag waived and we went it dropped. If your waiting.. shut it off..

4. Synchromesh

Synchromesh Active Member

Hot Spots

I have a track prepped (also street legal) TL-R and it has been without fans for over 5 years now and is still going strong with 28,000+ miles. The temp is o.k. and normally runs around 186 degrees but at a stoplight or in very, very slow moving traffic, it will reach 200 degrees. When the gauge reaches 200 degrees and traffic is at a standstill or thereabouts, and I do not anticipate an escape, I either shut it off or pull over and sit for a few minutes. During the summers, that sucks, but the weight difference is worth the suffering.

My only real concern on a transverse mounted V--Twin (front & rear firing) is that the rear cylinder will score (or seize), since it is basically in a heat cavity that benefits from very little airflow. I would also imagine that even the front cylinder could suffer from hot spots under certain, extreme conditions. On-the-other-hand, a longitudal V-Twin Moto-Guzzi engine or BMW with a boxer will most likely be void of single cylinder hot spots.

One of the main reasons for water cooling is to dissipate more BTUs quicker, more consistently and more evenly, which allows the engineers to tune the engine to a higher spec, since the thermal engergy transfer data remains somewhat constant throughout the cylinders, as compared to an air or air/oil cooled motor, such as an earlier GSX-R. Without fans, the thermal energy varies more widely than with the benefit of stock fans and hp goes up and down, along with engine reliability, since it must be tuned for the worst case scenario, a lean condition.

If you do not run full synthetic, I would highly recommend it if you are determined to pull the fans. The full synthetic has a much higher boiling point and can still protect well past the typical dinosaur (mineral) oil. Plus, the gearbox loves it. :) The engine runs cooler and will not get as hot so quickly, such as on the starting grid.

5. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Thanks

6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Re: Hot Spots

How much weight are you saving by not having the fan on the bike?

7. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

Re: Re: Hot Spots

lol! that's what i was about to ask...cracks me up what people say about street bikes....and i suppose you can feel the added power from not having to run the fan too.....sheesh.

running a couple degrees cooler without the fan while at speed is not the big deal (if it is even true)....it's the temp when no air flow is going through that is the big deal.

keep the fan.

8. Synchromesh

Fan weight?

Sharkattack,

The fans weigh about 8 lbs., + or -.

Jigmore,

I replied with a serious, well-informed and helpful answer to vizsladog's question and you ridicule me for paring this bike down as best I could? Geez, what an A$$ you are. Go crawl back into your hole, mole boy and try to say something nice next time.

Have you ever ridden a showroom stock Tiller? Ride one and then come ride mine and you will appreciate the difference, I promise you. A stock TL-R weighs 505 lbs. + wet and mine weighs about 465-475 wet. That 30-40 lbs. of lead off the front end reduced steering effort considerably and makes this a more enjoyable bike to steer and ride. Tapered head bearings worked wonders, as well.

As far as how much the fans weigh, pay me $45/ea + shipping and I will send them out Monday. Just kidding but do understand that I like this bike in its current form, sucky rice burner headlight, no radiators, no trunk, no passenger pegs, race bodywork and all. It is still a fun bike to ride but only on long sweepers, not on the track or super tight stuff.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  9. Id say get rid of the fan.

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

Re: Fan weight?

you stated your opinion, i stated mine. i'm not an ass for disagreeing with you...i'm an ass because i'm an ass.

now quit being so sensitive and go take your valvecaps off....that's gotta shave at least another 3 seconds off your time to get a forty at the quickie-mart.

11. Synchromesh

Well, if you would quit swallowing that creamy white stuff, you could lose 10 lbs as well......or do you taken it in the A$$? Either way, you should stop that habit. Gee, if you died, would anyone care, except for you homo loving buddies that you swallow for? Nah, they are waiting for you to roll over again so they can tap it one more time. :)

Oh and I will pop the valve cap off, that way you will not cut your lip on my zipper when you open your gaping mouth showing your pearly whites. And, as a final show of my appreciation, you will receive a free pearl necklace. To be respectful, I will give you 3 seconds to shave the jizz off your 3 day shadow, as I would hate for your friends to catch on. So, STFU next time. Just try to lose that 10 lbs. before Thanksgiving because I would hate for your favorite habit to drift...or will you get your weekly stuffing on that Thursday? Keep on keeping on, Pilgrim.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  12. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Here's a bbs favorite in the making.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, no subtlety or snide remarks, just went stupid quick which is boring all in all.

14. Synchromesh

Friends

Ahhh.....I am feeling the love! Tough to make friends when you smart off at every post, eh Jig? Gee, you are such a pal, go practice blowing on that valve cap some more, I really enjoy watching your cheeks puff......Mmmm....just something cyclic about that, you know? Whatever was I thinking? Yes, you would know.

15. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

True Mongo. He can't help it, he drinks Mr. Pibb. :Puke:

16. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

Re: Friends

<yawn>

17. Not sure that the overheating risks are worth the savings. My race bike = no fan (came that way), street bike, no friggin way I'd remove the fan.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Street = Leave on
    Race = remove

19. Synchromesh

There are no overheating risks because when it touches 200 degrees, I pull over. Normally I will pull over before 200, unless traffic is about to move. Besides, I have no doubts that this bike is safer with full synthetic, versus a bike that runs at a constant 186 degrees with dinosaur oil. Oddly enough, the fans never came on below 200+ degrees, so there is no difference and 186 degrees was its normal operating temp, give or take.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  20. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

so you are the thermostat....sure makes it worth that 8 lbs doesn't it....sheesh....some people's bitches.