Tire Talk, please

Discussion in 'General' started by Kristin, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Kristin

Kristin Well-Known Member

I'm doing my first track day Oct. 3 at VIR. I need some new tires before I go up there. I'll probably just do one track day on these tires and the rest street. I'll get strictly track tires the next time I go to the track. But for right now I won't be riding hard my first time. What is a good all around street/track tire?

I'm thinking the DIABLO CORSA (i have a 04 r6)
    REAR: 180/55ZR17
    FRONT: 120/70-ZR17

Next question, where to buy tires? Who's the cheapest? I'm a broke college student. I spent all my money on the track day and forgot about tires :eek: Is Ron Ayers the cheapest? Also I need to get them shipped here pretty quick too...well before Saturday. :wow:

Thanks,
    Kristin

2. DDD570

DDD570 Guest

who is hosting the trackday? some organizers sell tires there.... but you'll lose some time mounting them. i'd say (if it's your 1st time) ride on your street tires in the AM, then mount up race rubber at lunch.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You should PM that guy who didn't realize you were a female (before you changed your avatar).

He probably still feels guilty for ruining that thread.

4. vimkgt

vimkgt Well-Known Member

Find out who's doing the track day and email or call them to find out who the tire vendor will be, they almost always have on-track vendors, and it will be cheaper than buying them anywhere else. And yes they will mount at the track if you bring them your rims, and if you don't have the tools, there is always someone at the track who is willing to help.

5. Kristin

OKay done, just emailed sales @ Team Pro-Motion.

Thanks,
    Kris

6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I'm pretty sure TPM sells Pirelli at the track. At least they did last year. Don't forget to raise your front fender so the taller tire won't rub at speed.

7. Kristin

dang didn't think about that. :eek:

Thanks for the tip Yam.

8. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

TRY HERE
    Click the Competition or Street links depending on what you want . Good prices on Power Race and quick delivery

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Not sure what it's like out there, but around here the only tires available trackside are full-on race compounds.

Ron Ayers seems to have incredibly low prices, but their shipping times are atrocious.

I would do some online research, then call some of your local vendors and see how the prices compare. Shipping costs for two-day will likely negate any savings you might find online.

Good luck, and enjoy the hell out of your trackday!

10. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

First off, is this endochic from stuntlife? :) Haha, anyway, I'd go with either the diablo corsas or pilot powers. The pp's are great and less $$. Check out www.absolutecycleperformance.com - they are great!

11. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

:stupid: on the pilot power..certainly cheaper...

12. Kristin

Yeah I looked further into it and am going with the Pilot Powers now. Getting them from Interstate Cycle which is near me. Thanks to "Yama-saurus" for the info.

Next question. Is it bad to ride brand new tires on the track? I'm not as experienced as you guys. Mounting is going to be EXPENSIVE if I get it done before hand. My buddy will help me mount my tires at the track the night before for free. I've heard stories about people washing out when they put brand new tires on the track :confused:

or should i just mount up the night before and be fine for the next day. Also I'm going to see if my buddy will let me borrow his tire warmers for my first session. After that I should be fine so I'm told.

You guys have done this a lot longer than I have. I just don't want to make any mistakes :)

Oh and hey Seth, it's me :up:

13. vimkgt

vimkgt Well-Known Member

No problem at all, just take it real easy the first lap, and slowly increase the pace. After a full or even half a session, they should be completely scrubbed in. Considering how a bunch of people don't even have street legal bikes, breaking them in on the track is the only way to do it and I've done it with about 3 or 4 sets of tires this year with no wash-outs due to new tires. Then again, everyone passes me on my warmup laps :p

14. vimkgt

vimkgt Well-Known Member

I also wouldn't even bother with tire warmers on brand new tires that haven't ever seen the pavement. I think it might even make it a bit worse and make all that mold release crap greasier. Save that for after the 1st session.

The moral is just don't ride like an idiot on new tires, just be real smooth and really slow.

15. Kristin

well I will be in the "school" anyway so I highly doubt I'll be going fast. I'm slow anyway. I ride within my limits so I guess that shouldn't be a problem then. :)

Thanks for the advice

16. You could always loan your bike for a session to someone experienced to have them scrub them in.

17. Kristin

Yeah I thought about that too. Just wasn't sure if they would allow that. I'll ask

18. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

thank you,thank you very much.i'll be here all week.....:up:
    werd!

19. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Kristin,
    I wouldn't worry about warmers - especially on pp's as they will heat up faster than a race tire. After 3-5 laps, your tires will be scrubbed in (and considering it will be the first session of the day, you won't have to worry about going too fast anyway.) Have Fun! Hope to see you at a TD next season :)

20. Kristin

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO I just got my new leather suit in. I had it custom made and it fits pretty good. I'm still trying to get used to the knees though. Once I put my feet down, then go ahead. I gotta stand up and push the knee part down. I'm glad I got a custom suit though, anything else would have swallowed me.

I'm off to get my tires :clap: