Car Buying: Will The "New Normal" Be "Normal" Forever?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Sep 3, 2023.

1. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I hope they were okay.
    How did the Forte hold up safety wise?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

There are definitely deals to be had now. Even the Civic Type R which at one point were going for $10-25K a few months ago, more and more are being sold at MSRP.

3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

My local dealers all have ads boasting about how much inventory, new and used, they have on their lots

4. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

You can't afford NOT to buy our $100,000 pick em' up trucks!

TurboBlew, ducnut, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya :D

zx6rfool, BrentA and ducnut like this.
  6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Seems everyone’s playing chicken or staring contest right now.
    New dealers aren’t moving inventory but refuse to lower the prices too much waiting for interests to come down, because of that there’s no used cars going to the auction and hitting the used car lots. With no inventory used car dealerships aren’t budging on prices much either. Why sell lower when they can’t get a replacement vehicle to fill the empty spot.

wonder who’s gonna blink first?

BrentA likes this.
  7. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I test drove a new F150 about 18 months ago. And the dealer wanted $10k over MSRP.

I just bought a 2022 F150 with 11k miles for about $15k less than the best new truck deal I could negotiate (which was about $8k less than MSRP.

The market for trucks certainly seems to have changed massively in the last 18 months.

Having said that, I've been trying to buy 2021+ RSV4, and most sellers are trying to get almost as much as a new bike. I think these sellers are going to realize the market is going to drop further.

ducnut and BrentA like this.
  8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Not sure what area you're in, but we have new inventory and are moving it at a high rate. The used market is being destroyed by the major wall street dealers gobbling up all the inventory and losing money on them. Blame Carvana, Auto Nation and the rest of those clowns paying over invoice for late model units and selling them for a loss. Carvana is a giant ponzi scheme that will eventually collapse. You can only operate in the red for so long.

zx6rfool, ducnut and TurboBlew like this.
  9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Really...tell that to a group of people south of Richmond.

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

You mean north of Richmond?

britx303 and stk0308 like this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yeah...those folks...

12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The rich men?

sharkattack likes this.
  13. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Hey, apologies for the late response, Brett.

Daughter was unharmed, just shaken up. As mentioned, car took quite a bit of damage (fender, bumper, rh front quarter panel, radiator, coolant bottle, etc). My guess, since she didn't know, was she was going about 10-15mph when she hit a curb and then tree. The air-bag(s) did not go off.

BrentA likes this.
  14. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Now they're boasting they have the largest inventory in the PNW, and offering interest rates (as low as) 2.3 and zero percent.

I'm sure you need a 850 credit score and pay MSRP to qualify.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That would make a good hook for a song.

stk0308 likes this.
  16. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

But only if you're 5'2" 300lbs, and make bullshit pay.

17. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Different people, ha. The dude making bullshit pay for overtime is buying the fudge rounds for the 5'3 300lb'er

stk0308 likes this.
  18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Let us not forget auto repossessions are at a 30yr high

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Is that 30 year high in sheer numbers or a percentage of vehicles? More vehicles on the road will always lead to new records of that kind of thing if you are just talking about the number instead of a percentage.

BigBird and ducrcr like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Really? You want to try to parse this as though the…

You know. It’s not worth it. I don’t give a shit about getting banned, but some people try too fucking hard to deny reality.

Rebel635 and britx303 like this.