Need ideas for transporting 10-12 fat tire e-bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Sep 12, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I posted on the Aventon Aventure FB group, but those people are retards.

Basically, I'd like to use my 7x14 open trailer to transport a large number of fat tire e-bikes with 4" tires. If they were motorbikes, I'd use mc chocks, but those are overkill. The bikes weigh 85 lbs each. I have pickup tailgate pads and can put 4-5 in the back of the bed over the tailgate, but its a 2 person job to load/unload because the bikes are so heavy. Trying to come up with a solution so I can do everything on my own. Also, I don't want to deal with tie down straps.

Maybe 2 custom cross beams in the trailer and I put 5 bikes on each cross beam, like how I put them over the tailgate?

I dunno. Any ideas?

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

How far will they be transported ?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

1 hour, with about 7 miles on gravel roads

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

For the trailer, just bolt E track to the floor and you're gonna have to use straps and D clips

Mount them sideways, handlebars to rear seats all the way back and they should all fit on the trailer.

It sounds like you want to use the pickup bed as well ?

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not sure why I can't post a picture .
    I have a 5x10 and I just put them next to each other and use tie downs to secure them .

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Really would like to avoid tie-downs. Looking for a roll on/ roll off solution.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No, the pickup tailgate requires 2 people.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

is this a one time thing or ongoing?

If ongoing you could make a frame or series of slots to hold the bikes upright and then use a single strap or bar to secure them.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Maybe have a fabricator build me 2 cross beams that bolt/unbolt to the trailer side rails? I could use the pickup pads and drape the bikes over the beams. They shouldn't move around because they're heavy. Sort of like the tailgate loading method, but in the trailer.

cad-utility-trailer-steel-pivot-rails-mff12-side.jpg

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ongoing... like every weekend.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Nice .
    Can't think of anything else that would hold them securely other that having something fabricated .
    None of my deliveries take me off road .

motion likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

If this is an ongoing need, fab up a front wheel cradle that you can attach to the trailer (perhaps on a rail for ease of install/removal, though that would dramatically increase storage space requirements), then use a couple few heavy duty rubber bungees to keep the front wheel in the chock.

For the rear, running a bar through the wheels and securing to the trailer bed would keep the back ends from bouncing off.

Sorry, don’t have any CAD software to send you a file from ;)

motion likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

Then something like you posted would work. Cover the beam/rod with padding/carpet to prevent damage. maybe add some channel or spacers on the floor to keep the rears from boucing into each other and doing damage.

motion likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This is what 4 bikes look like over the tailgate. Thinking I can get 6 in each row in the trailer, since its 7' wide.

IMG_0348.jpeg

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, something securing the back tires is probably key.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Most of the shuttle companies out this way use crank arm mounts for quick load/unload.

Looks like this loaded up - no straps, just crank arms in the sleeves.

[​IMG]

Once a Wanker.. and motion like this.
  17. ChemGuy

a piece of stock with angle, maybe 3-4" high, that bolts into the floor would really help keep the backs from destroying each other.

motion likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a trailer - they will bounce out if not strapped no matter how heavy they are.

Once a Wanker.., G Dawg and tony 340 like this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Maybe with some sort of neoprene or high density foam padding between each wheel.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's what I'm worried about. Maybe an aluminum bar that goes the full width of the trailer, with a hitch pin lock to go around each seat stem? That would "tie" all the bikes together and I could install/uninstall it in a few seconds.