6 months into my 8 month wandering adventure

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Mar 31, 2023.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I presume you had it paired with good olive oil and used for dipping with crusty bread.
    In general you don’t use it in cooked/heated preparations as that muddles the flavor. It’s so concentrated a little goes a long way.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My favorite has probably been Grand Canyon when I was 10 years old and Zion when we went hiking there with two other couples right when it first opened during Covid.

Yosemite was pretty too, for whatever reason I enjoyed the others more? I would like to get back to Zion and hike some of the other trails. Also want to go outside of Zion where they have all those beautiful rock formations that look like waves.

@r6fast started a post about via Ferrara (SP?) climbing with hooks already in the rock that supposedly old non trained guys like me can do. If that’s true, I want to try that. @zamboiv is wanting to do it too.

https://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/via-ferrata.383007/

I know I will never try regular rock climbing or be dedicated enough to learn and train for it. But to see some of those places in an easier way is something interesting to me.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Zion sucks. As does Bryce, Arches, etc. And yes, Yellowstone is total garbage, everyone stay away from that lame place too.
    I'd mention some other places in Utah that suck royally, but they are so bad it's better people just never know of them.

TurboBlew, Boman Forklift and 27 like this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

free soloing stuff that I shouldn’t have been is what got me to Yosemite. Before that I was climbing at Yellowstone, Arches, Moab, the black rock cliffs of southern Oregon and Northern California, devils tower, ship rock, and hundreds of unknowns … after spending my youth climbing all over Appalachia the west was really special. I’m no rock climber but I really enjoyed that thrill way too much and thankfully started racing after those trips and got my kicks that way. I was a much better racer than climber for sure. Go do a guided day Rob, and don’t sell yourself short I’m sure you’ll be great at it as you’re interested and able. They have all levels. Go to an indoor place close to you and get familiar with belays and rope work so you can just enjoy the climb outdoors when you go.

There was a real climber on here but I don’t remember who it was…

I’ve been to the Grand Canyon a bunch but haven’t rafted down it yet. I’ll take my kids on that trip when they’re a bit older.

Gino230 and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Your state is spectacular! My first impression of inner Spain was that it is just like Utah. Guess that’s why all those spaghetti westerns from Italians were filmed there.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My wife and I with our kids rafted on the Grand Canyon from the north side, I think it was. The area where they have the glass walkway you can go out on. Anyway it was a huge letdown. The most exciting part was the Helicopter ride out of there. You are on a big boat and the water is so muddy that it stains all your clothes.

Before kids, my wife and I rafted the Kern River in a small boat with one other person, then part way down my buddy and I jumped in a 2 man inflatable kayak and split a rock that ejected us both out....so much fun. Camped on the river one night and finished the trip the next day. That was an amazing trip, and I would love to do that again. Might be really good, or too frightening this year, with all the snow melt.

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Trust me, I always try to go off season. Even busy places, if you hike more than the first half mile, the crowds drop dramatically. I've always tried to find the trails that have limited use, though at my age there's a risk factor that I didn't used to have to take into account. BTW, if you ever want to try an epic location, try hiking to Supai. Don't be a pussy and take a helicopter like some people..lol.

brex and 27 like this.
  8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Zion really sucks when you've hiked deep into a side canyon, and then you start to hear the rush of fast moving water. Probably the most scared I've ever been. Water got to be chest high before I broke out into the main canyon.

brex likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ve read some tribal stuff about it and thought it’s best left to them. I didn’t know it was a hiking expedition location. That canyon is full of wonder on lots of levels.

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

glad to know thanks. No way I’d go rafting in a big raft, I haven’t looked into GC rafting in years.

Me and two buddies paid an extra $100 to go down the Gulley in WV in a 12 raft with just us and a rambunctious guide that I’d met. That was the absolute most exhilarating experience off of a racebike. We weren’t in the water 2 min before we highsided an Eddy and were swimming for our lives. Repeated that many times that day, incredible fun.

There is a river in NorCal that has even more higher class rapids but I don’t remember the name.

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yeah.....they're certainly not happy you're there, but happy to take your money. Learning the history of the Havasupai people, I can't say as I blame them. I only went once, as it does feel like you're intruding, but such an epic sight. Really crazy geology, a pretty challenging slog through the dry riverbed. Worth it at least once. I actually did it when I unknowingly had a grapefruit sized tumor in my head....made it a bit tougher..lol.

Bugslayer, brex and 27 like this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's a horrible place.

27 likes this.
  13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I have had conversations with visitors before asking them how they thought that branch got up there, etc. Some get the big eyes.
    If there is the possibility of rain anywhere close, the answer is just flat no to slot canyons. But every year it still happens.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

A few rays of sunshine from the Beehive State right there. :D

brex likes this.
  15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Havasu Falls hike is amazing. Agreed that you might feel unwelcome to some of the locals, but if you are respectful (as you should be) they are as well. Just a beautiful area.

And the rim to rim hike is an amazing experience in itself. We did north to south in one day. It's almost a religious experience, the highs and lows, the effort spent, etc.

Once a Wanker.., Sabre699 and 27 like this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ve never not had a great time in Utah. I had no idea what was there outside of Mormans and Bonneville. This was pre internet and cell phones. It was a great surprise and a great adventure when crossing the country. I still have my RandMcNally that had Arches on the cover that I used and thought I can stop there :D

17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

There was no rain forecast. I'm stupid for other reasons, but I'm well aware of the risks of flash floods in that area. IIRC, the storm was something like 50 miles away, and came out of nowhere. I'll stick to Angel's from now on...lol.

brex likes this.
  18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I did the Supai hike with my ex, who kept gushing every time we passed a local "you're so lucky to be living here! It's so beautiful!" After the 3rd time, I pointed out that they weren't as happy as she was. Did quite a bit of hiking in GCNP, but never managed rim to rim. Always wanted to, but now it's not an option (unless I want to add my corpse to the collection). I think everyone in the country should hike there once, cuz it would kill most of the stupid people. The things I've seen there boggle the mind.

brex likes this.
  19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I dont know why but Utah always had a dead brown feel to the scenery. Am I the only one?

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That's all there is. The entire state is dead and brown looking. No other colors, no snow, no nothing. Just dead and brown. No need to come here.

scottn, Sabre699 and gixxerboy55 like this.