1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk car tires

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Mar 20, 2023.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I tried to pay attention to 'em when we first installed the tires but I can't really say they're noticeable, certainly not anything to object about. I have to try to hear 'em, but the car is really quiet with the windows up. There are some sections of road that will make them sound out noticeably but I can't say it's worse than our other vehicles and their tires cuz I haven't paid attention to the locations of these offending road surfaces in order to gauge the other vehicles/tires against the CrossClimates.

If anything, I seem to have noticed the CrossClimates more at speed.
    Our other vehicles throw variables at that deduction. This is what I hear on the highway: the dually is loud (engine/road noise), the 'Vette is louder (road noise/exhaust note) and the Jeep is atrocious (wind/road noise).
    The Mazda just seems to have road noise transmitted through the chassis. It's not like I hear it, per se, more of a transduction, which could be an attribute of the car.

r6fast likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Just bout a set of four Pirellis for the Camry. Discount Tire matched the lower tire and install price at Walmart. I also received a credit for the remaining life in the current set. $80 Pirelli rebate, 5% discount using DT credit card, six months free financing. OOP cost is about $525 for Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus 2 215/55/17.

I believe I bought my first set of tires from Discount Tire about 18 years ago. Always good service; no reason to go elsewhere.

3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I put Goodyear Assurance Outlast on my car and they are the worst tire I've ever in 54 yrs put on a car. They wander through turns and give the most wishy washy feedback I've ever experienced. I seriously believe a wooden fucking wagon wheel would be an improvement.

thrak410 likes this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I had a set on my last car for about 40k miles. They are unbelievable in rain and snow and aren’t loud at all. I will say I wasn’t great about rotations and I did get some odd wear but that’s on me. I drive a ton and just wasn’t keeping up on it. They did hurt my fuel mileage about 2 mpg and because I drive 60k a year I went with the Defenders for my new car as they get killer mileage and I can easily expect 80k+ miles before they are toast. I’ve had a few sets before and loved them. We also get very little snow so the extra abilities of the cross climates aren’t really needed.

fastfreddie likes this.
  5. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Anyone try the Venom Power Terra Hunter X/T on their truck?

Looks like the hdq is in Memphis.

6. fastfreddie

@r6fast, I took the CrossClimate2s out for a drive today, paying attention to when road noises transferred into the cabin. It seems the side lugs make considerable noise on smooth secondary roads with a rough aggregate composition when taking turns. On less aggressive aggregate, as experienced on typical exit ramps @ 40mph, I didn't hear anything in the turns.

I guess if one were to push the CrossClimate2s, they would make noise in any corner. As it is for the Mazda3, it's just in the turns on more aggressive pavement. (I did not go on the highway but, for the most part, do not recall it being noticeable).

I can say I don't experience a similar increase in road noise with our other vehicles but I do recall there being increased noise as heard through those vehicles on those sections of aggressive pavement with turns. Worst offender of those others is the 'Vette, but it transmits quite a bit of feedback as is its nature.

So, rough/aggressive pavement is making the CC2s noticeably loud, but only when turning. It comes through as a scrubbing sound, but they are not losing traction.

r6fast likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

Took it for a long drive today, no highway but still high speeds.
    It your wife has any objection to road noise and you're not in the snow belt, these may not be your tires. Every odd patch of pavement resounded with audibles. Barring rough pavements, it's still quiet on smooth pavement at any speed but certainly not a tire for sound luxury.
    To possibly give some perspective, think of a 4x4 with mild MT/aggressive AT tires on smooth roads. Inside the Mazda, which is a quiet car, a similar noise comes through but only on rough segments.
    Hope this helps. I'd hate to think you would buy them cuz I said they were awesome only to find they can also be annoying. I'm okay with 'em cuz I know their better attributes are the reason I bought 'em.
    Now that I'm done critiquing them, I can go back to ignoring them when they sound out. :D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  8. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed reports. She hates loud tires, so she'll not be a happy wife with them. :beer:

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Just had a set of Michelin PS4S's put on the WRX today. I gotta say, the hype seems real so far. Payment was painful.

BigBird and fastfreddie like this.
  11. fastfreddie

"Beauty" got her new shoes early. Happy Birthday, Yzasserina! (actually tomorrow).

Cray Spiders/Mich PS4Ss. The tires are so smooth and quiet. I upsized to fill out to the width of the fenders.
    Huge difference over the take-off PS2 ZPs, (**11) build code. Have cords showing on the inner left front. Rears would step out on 1/4 throttle in 1st gear turns. On the border of vulcanizing?:crackup:

The old tires will be used to determine some needed camber adjustments, we'll see what toes and casters look like when it hits the rack.

If she looks to have seen some highway, there's 86,596 on the clock.

IMG_0892.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    R1Racer99 and Steeltoe like this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Happy Birthday @Yzasserina !

'Vette looks sweet. PS4S are really good, especially for your car. You need that stickier rubber.

For most of my driving, high-po all-seasons are fine, and when I get to the track I swap to 200 TW tires

Yzasserina likes this.
  13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Thank you, @BigBird! The new shoes are noticeably quieter. I’m sure @Gorilla George would have a stroke at the optics of our vehicles. Don’t care. Lol!

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

The Elantra came with PS4S. I usually would have just stayed on my AS/3+ for the summer, but I'm like they too expensive of a tire to sit in the garage, so I swapped. The kids and I always get a kick of hearing all the gravel kick up into the fenders while driving to places

15. fastfreddie

You like that sound? WTH? You sure you didn't mistype something there? :D

Gigi already has a big chip on a rear wheel and a few normal-sized on the front clip...not even 3000 on the clock.
    The 'Vette is on its second windshield, so you can imagine the sandblasting it has received. The gravel that's kicked up has chipped every leading surface of every body panel, roof included.
    :rolleyes::(

I dislike that sound so much...

R1Racer99 likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

Thank you. It now has the usual 20yd finish and patina but I'm so glad to have gotten rid of the chrome wheels.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

yessir lol...I likey the sounds. :D

paint these days are pretty soft, so if the car is used in the winter, they get pretty beat up quickly .

The vette with a weekend of hard work, would look brand new.

18. :crackup:

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

You underestimate the quality of its patina, kind sir. :D

I've clay barred once when it was fairly new but never has it seen any kind of wax or car paint specific cleaner. I wash it using whatever's under the kitchen sink with no follow-up care product(s). It's still glossy, but the color is more of a black smoke now. It also has water spots.
    If there's a product that I don't have to continually apply, like that ArmorAll BS, I'd spend the time to touch up the chips, remove the water spots and wipe her down with that good finishing product.

What's the trick for water spots?

(I'm all for less finish maintenance and would just murder it all flat/matte, but it's not my car).

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

water spots is usually hard water and/or washing in sun.

they sell spotless car wash mobile filters, and keep the car continuously wet until you can dry.

I bought this to try, haven't had the weather to really use it yet. well except yesterday and today, but not washing cars today

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CESR4YA/