More riders?

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Something people keep missing is that compared to the old days there are more people riding bikes on track every day than ever before in this country.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

ok so what you’re lacking is proper media exposure.

If you guys were still operational here I’d volunteer my time to do all your social media and YouTube content to get it going.

If I were you I’d find a younger millennials in markets you’re still functional to work on digital exposure and hit dealerships to try and do radio station like promo events. Even do discount or free first races for people buying lower displacement bikes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Again, the racers will race and they know who we are. While it would be cool for our current customers it would not bring in more. Granted I'd love the time to get all the early 90's footage on our YT channel.

One area I do think we need to get better in is putting out there just how easy it is to do and how you don't need to be fast already. The last part though depends more on all of you out there - quit the bs about how you need to do years of track days and be at a certain level to go racing. It just isn't true and honestly doesn't matter.

evakat, RRP, dave3593 and 2 others like this.
  4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

im sorry to say this but you’re operating on a 20th century mindset. MEDIA is what drives the urge to consume these days. Your races are a product. You need to think of it like one. I’d hate to see a series I love go away do to calcification

Itey likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Why not still do that? You weren’t racing anyway, just like we haven’t raced for many years?

I don’t have the skill set or I would be doing it for my own business, but if you have the skill set, do it. You already derive a lot of benefit from this website and are connected to WERA.

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

As I said I’d do it for free if they were still operated in so cal.

to do it properly I’d have to do filming, photography, interviews, coordination with businesses and dealerships in the area. It would be basically another full time job that I’d be willing to do if it were geographically feasible.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

No amount of media is going to get a talker to grid up and become a racer. You are operating under a total misunderstanding of the difference between racers and non racers. I am not selling a widget that can be used in every home. I am not selling a sport that could be watched and enjoyed by anyone if they have enough interest and knowledge in it. I am not promoting how our service is better than the other hundreds of service providers in a city or region. I'm selling an experience that only a tiny handful of people worldwide want to partake in. I do need to get better communication with the handful of that handful who already are our customers and I do keep working on that. I do need to get it clearer on how to get involved for those interested although email works great as I can customize the answer to them, their bike, and what they're wanting to accomplish.

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I understand where you’re coming from, I just think you’re being rigid due to age and ideology.

Businesses…. ALL businesses have to adapt to the times or die… and you’ve said it yourself, you’re already down points against the competition. I love wera and I’m not trying to shit on you personally papa. But shouldn’t you be willing to try anything to save your baby?

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Old people tend to do that. I should know.

Banditracer likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally understand where you're coming from and the thinking behind it. Not remotely taking offense. As for saving the baby - it's actually doing pretty well all in all. Pulling back from out there sucked but it had to happen and things are expanding or maintaining well enough east side that we're hoping to try something different out west in 2024.

On the promotion stuff I'm oddly enough not remotely rigid due to age. We've changed tons over the years and you're talking to me via social media site that predates most of the others and is still more than viable... But you're looking at this from a perspective where you're selling a service that tons of people need, much less want. What we do isn't normal sales and what you're saying would be great and would help promote us to the tiny handful over other orgs but won't get more people into the sport as a whole. People with that competitive drive know racing exists. As soon as they do any searching on racing motorcycles they will know of WERA.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Physically rigid due to age I'll give you for sure.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Get off my lawn

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't find mine, been to old and achy to mow the leaves into mulch :D

14. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Meaning find someone that can do the media stuff for you guys so WERA can appear to be interacting with the racers and the families that you are providing a product for. Post press releases, even if its just on your facebook page on the events of the weekend. Also, from my perspective WERA doesnt have a face, no one person that goes out and interacts with the people in the pits that represents WERA. The person that builds the community for the sake of the promoter. I dont think there is one single answer to getting more people involved in racing WERA but there are several little things that would add up. Just some feedback from my perspective over the last two years.

15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

see I don’t agree with that. Most People don’t know what the fuck they want, especially every dumbass walking into a dealership to buy a bike. If you work with dealerships to incentivize racing AND sales by offering free practice days on race weekends so they can have the experience. Maybe even keep some leathers and boots in different sizes for the newbs…. Youll create a heroin addict, as it were.

create customers. You’re a drug dealer. Deal some drugs.

16. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

It would be much easier to deal with the trackday Orgs and bring those guys along. Plenty of fence straddlers that just need a small hand of help. Ive pulled 4 in the last year to the yellow plate crowd.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

easy yes, but limited. There’s more people than ever rolling around on 2 wheels. You want them. Hell the grom(ish) and scooter market is MASSIVE now. Integrate those fuckers.
    But no matter how you slice it you’re gonna need modern promotional tactics.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

So, cortez: You seem to both have and assert a lot of organic ideas as really new and fantastic and effective -- across all sorts of domains. A real idea guy, so to speak. I ask: how have those worked out for you personally? It might be better to get your own sloop in order before taking on a schooner. The idea that the grom/scooter market is is deep well of roadracers to be tapped is, IMO, fishing in an empty pond. No offense, but I see you as all hat and no cowboy. :)
    (love me some metaphors.)

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

People don't seem to understand how true that is. I experienced it when I was racing, I still experience it to this day. Can't even convince people "coaching" at track days to try racing. One I worked on for something like five years! The well of excuses has no bottom. I hope he's reading this. :D

ChemGuy and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Lever 2.0, except it's all theoretical with this version. Lever tried stuff. :D

Attached Files: