Artemis 1 29AUG@Cape Canaveral

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, Aug 12, 2022.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Breath=not holding

BigBird likes this.
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Back to the over / under. I go with it blows the eff up. Congress holds hearings. Program gets scraped. SpaceX becomes the goto launch provider for NASA.

3. rwdfun

rwdfun

Gee thanks NASA, scrub a bunch of chances during normal hours and now you set the launch for 1-3am. NASA needs a PR firm to inform them of a missed opportunity

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

They want fewer people to be there when it explodes.

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

That's just based on their mission profile requiring a night launch for a month or two at this point in the year. If they wanted a day launch I believe they'd have to wait another month or two (don't have the info in front of me, so this is "hearsay" :D) and they have other constraints that don't get any better by waiting that long. They're already getting closer than they'd like to the number of rollouts they can handle, and putting a couple more months on the boosters (already way past their normal timeline before launch) would not be ideal.

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Hoping it launches tonight. My view. 20221115_174610.jpg

R1M370, BigBird, CharlieY and 2 others like this.
  7. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

It was visible from Treasure Island despite some clouds right after launch and than off & on for the first couple of minutes, would love to see one from the Cape.

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Fuck. Yes.

BigBird likes this.
  9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Was flying from Mauritius to Dubai last night on Emirates, turned on the documentary of SLS "Artemis". Was there at kennedy space center with the Brazilian girl. Grew up in FL when the shuttle launched on the right night could see it. I'm not sure of the whole idea of going farther, see whats out there?? If they make the moon its confirmed as a big rock of dust. If they make mars great, but its the same as saying I want to climb the highest mountain and be isolated and alone. It was kind of cool pulling the old engines and reverse engineering. All the respect in the world for the early NASA guys, going full in with unknown technology, no computers, and making it work. And the new younger breed pushing the limits of engineering and technology. Hope all the hard work pays off for them

10. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

How was it? I keep watching the clips on the news this morning and couldn't be happier to see a return moon mission in my lifetime.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

In yo face!!! :flag:

[​IMG]

chobes, Jed, R1M370 and 3 others like this.
  12. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

It was amazing to see, and hear. Could not look directly at it for long as it was about as bright as the sun as it lit up the entire horizon. Smoke plume with the Moon peeking through.
    Screenshot_20221116-095847_Gallery.jpg

Jed and BigBird like this.
  13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I was standing in the parking lot of the launch control center. What a noise. I'd call it a shuttle and a quarter for sure, maybe even a shuttle and half! :clap:

YamahaRick and BigBird like this.
  14. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I was about 10 miles away on the center of the Max Brewer Bridge in Titusville

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I was on descent into Ft. Lauderdale when the launch window opened at 0105. I think everyone was looking North- was a clear night, would have been a great view. We had to take routing down the west coast of FL due to the launch. I'm glad it went, even though I missed it.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

WTF...why/how were you landing in FLL at 1am?

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

It was an impressive launch. Almost as impressive as the pork and jobs program it represents.

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Is that the rocket, in the upper RH corner? Why does it look like it's off course?

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

What surprises me the most about this, is we did it 50 years ago with slide rules and very low powered computers. Now with all this technology, it still takes many attempts to hit a launch window, this one is unmanned, the next one is manned but no landing, and finally a couple years away we land on the moon again.

Really impressive what they did with Apollo all those years ago, because it seems like we have never done it before.

Gino230, Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  20. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

No that looks like a highlighter/pen cursor :D

The rocket was where the huge smoke line is in the middle. The side boosters make a lot of smoke.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.