1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York mayor bulldozes hundreds of illegal dirt bikes and ATVs

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jun 23, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

don't they need to also recycle these things properly, like tires/rubber fluids, etc.?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easy enough to drain fuel and oil and remove batteries. Then after the publicity stunt scoop em and shred em just like a junk car.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The Mayor is Ghey (NTTAWWT) for not driving the bulldozer himself.

ChemGuy and SGVRider like this.
  4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Just a stupid publicity stunt and really quite wasteful.

BigBird and SGVRider like this.
  5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

yes, spend tax payers money on the bulldozer to destroy free inventory that they could auction off and use the money for city funding.

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Do they confiscate cars for lack of insurance? That’s why they said they had many of those bikes.

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Look at all those useable machines being destroyed. I get that it’s logistically difficult if not impossible to deal with stolen and untitled bikes legally, but surely some company would’ve been able to deal with the paperwork, auction off the good ones, and part out the rest. They could’ve just given the entire lot of them to someone to handle and told them they wanted 20% off the top. Meanwhile a 30+ year old XR600R is like $4000, and they’re just smashing these bikes for fun. This is sickening. I’m sure at least half those bikes could’ve been sold without problem.

They’re also letting people burn shit down, mug citizens, burglarize with impunity, shit on the streets, and smoke drugs in broad daylight. Yet they can “do something” about this.

I get that the riders are a nuisance, but this is just incredibly wasteful political masturbation.

BigBird and FastByKids like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys seriously don't see the problem most large cities are having with gangs of people on dirtbikes and quads running the streets? I have no problem at all with destruction versus selling them.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Still seems like a waste.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Personally I'd hate for a government entity to undercut shops and private sellers.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. SGVRider

Admittedly, this is more an East Coast phenomenon so maybe I don’t fully understand the breadth and scope of it. The only danger in selling is if the same people went to the auction and bought them, or the same bikes ended up being seized again. How likely is that though? The government could just demand that they only be sold in certain counties. I’m sure people upstate would’ve loved to have a large supply of affordable bikes. Maybe there is real justification for this beyond the mayor jerking himself off, but this is just really wasteful.

12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

As others have mentioned it would be possible to work with salvage shops, increasing their profit margins and possibly generate revenue for the city.

13. SGVRider

The used dirtbike market (at least out West) is out of control, it needs a deluge of supply. Auctions should theoretically close at market clearing prices anyway. If a dude can’t ask $6000 for a 91 DRZ350 anymore because there’s a dozen newer DRZs on the market, that’s tough shit for him anyway. :D

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

undercut how?

15. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

You're thinking like someone that has worked in the private sector. I've never met so many socially and financially retarded people in my life than I have when I worked in LE. The wasted tax money was embarrassing and the mentality was that it wasn't their money. Our department had an allotted budget each year of 88 million dollars yet every time the city council would want to see a budget for the next year, the front office couldnt provide one. It would be comical if it wasnt so sad. The smoke and mirrors that goes on in government agencies is real. Them destroying these for scrap makes the paperwork much easier.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Auctioning off thousands of bikes at once would absolutely kill off other sales.

dtalbott likes this.
  17. joec

joec brace yourself

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wholesale that shit to the other side of the world for the cost of shipping. I'm sure someone is ready to give them a good home. Hell, they might even fly in to handle all the administrative stuff. The next Marquez is waiting for a bike somewhere. :D

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Have you checked shipping costs lately?

BigBird likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

No doubt in my mind the City would have recouped zero/negligible dollars after selling the bikes, not to mention the incurred liability. Not to mention the legality issues of clearing titles. Publicity stunt for sure but they had little to no other options. Selling them would have been a monumental CF.

My only complaint is that they should have used a bigger Cat like a D-11. :D

gixxerboy55 and joec like this.