1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 MA Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 7, 2022.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Been saying this for years! He so needs to.

C'mon Greg!! :cool:

sanee likes this.
  2. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

This wasn’t the first time the Pirelli lasted two stints to win or no?

3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I predicted both of these South African guys latest podiums back in COTA circa 2016:

:p

Attached Files:

henry_carlson likes this.
  4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Was a disaster. I know of for a fact, atleast 5 teams having transponder issues that motoa supplied. I know of one team who took a other teams transponder and used it, leaving the team, I was working with, without one. (Was charging it on motoa's charging system).

The red flag was about 4 minutes to late in q1 group b. That's what caused that fuck up. But ofcourse, they knew the rain was there, but they weren't going to cut q1 group a time down any because all the big names were in it. Group b, got cut almost 10 minutes short and was a fuckfest trying to explain that.

Tech was a disaster. We were supplied a number. Rider credintials with that number, lettered the bike with that number, tech said they would not tech the bike because what their system had was a different number. They blamed us, altho I simply showed them on every piece of paperwork we had, we used the right number.

Lastly it was a blast. Weather was shit.

I hate a fucking Harley, but I will say 2 things. They absolutely bring in the money.

And to watch in person is absolutely impressive. The tv does not do those boys justice.

5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

CCS/ASRA always did a good job with it IMO especially with organizing the event. I know this weekend was a bit of a shit-show because of the weather, but honestly after being there for a couple of days, I can safely say that not ALL of it was due to the weather. A good chunk of the shit was due to bad organization on MA's part. The CCS events went smoother, plus...there was a lot more racing throughout the weekend! But with that said the thing that MA did that IMO made the race better and safer was a stricter limit on qualifying and number of entries. In the past few years if you look at lap times the bottom guys are not even doing 2:05s! You shouldn't be out there as a moving obstacle at that pace IMO and you shouldn't have 60+ people on the grid with a 2-wave start. This weekend, the slowest guys were capable of doing 58s which is much more respectable, and I believe only about 43 people started the race. That's plenty of people to make it exciting and not nearly as many backmarkers getting in the way.

6. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Negotiating 24 hour access to the paddock was a plus, in the 23 years I've been going to Daytona we've never had that, always had to clear out one hour after racing was over.

KneeDragger_c69 and sbk1198 like this.
  7. sbk1198

True, that was also nice. However...I won't ever complain about registration lines with CCS anymore because MA was so much worse! I didn't even have to suffer as much because I got my credentials around 4:00 pm on Wednesday, but still...for being so late in the day there were about 30 or so people in line in front of me and it took 1.5 hours to get my credentials!! Others who went early in the morning waited as much as 4 hours from what i heard. That's crazy!

8. sbk1198

I was wondering about that as well. Just sent him a message on FB. Hopefully he'll log on here and reply.

Idk, but he deserves to be smacked upside the head or get some sort of temporary racing ban for pulling such a bonehead rookie move like that. It's the sort of shit you'd expect to see in the novice group at a track day, not from a pro racer at the D200! Even the corner worker had his hands on his head. I doubt he told him to go the wrong way on the track.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  9. Knarf Legna

We were early took over 4 hours.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. Knarf Legna

I'm wondering who got paid, only 29 finishers. We paid back to 40th place, including anyone who turned one lap.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

That's the TL;DR right there ^ :D

Just finished watching the race and what a finish. Would've liked to see Hayes win it from that back of the grid but congrats to Brandon Paasch for not showing his cards until the end. Gonna start calling him Paasch Spice with all those watches.:crackup:

The Ducati / Herrin running out fuel was disappointing to see, definitely shouldn't have happened especially when it did. That Duc looks like it turns like a barge so will be interesting to see it at other tracks.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  12. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Whoever was going backwards in the chicane... Did he hit his head when he went down? I can't explain it any other way. My heart was in my throat watching that.

13. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

That’s Chris Sarbora. He’s a good international racer and IOMTT vet. I’m guessing he got disoriented by the crash and the corner worker should have been there with his hand on his shoulder pointing him where he should have been going

14. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

You can see the corner worker basically saying "fuck fuck fuck NO NO NO!!"

stk0308 likes this.
  15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Incredibly smart ride. Extremely impressive.

Great win. Happy for Gene Burcham and the entire crew behind Hayden. He was also helped by amateur hour behind him though, breaking up any chance to put together a draft/pass for the checkered.

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

@Knarf Legna Frank, you have to admit you're a little biased. Who shows up at a professional race without a transponder and expects the org to provide them one? MotoAmerica did a pretty good job, considering the disaster that the weather threw at them. As I said before, you have 1/4 of the paddock there for their first MA event, and they clearly didn't read the rules or understand the procedures for credentials, let alone what has to be done with the bike. I thought MA was pretty lenient because they want the competitors to participate- I saw bikes approved by tech with not one required decal, not even side plate numbers. Forget about crew shirts and leathers. Even if something is confusing, emailing MA generates a response within the hour. Try it.

Timing and scoring issues have plagued Daytona for the last 3 years, no matter who is running the weekend.

Also your comment about Fridays's schedule being wasted because we had 3 hours of downtime after the first round of Support races doesn't hold water. Clearly they were chasing the forecast when they came out with the schedule, which called for rain that afternoon. You can't just decide with 30 min. notice to do Race 2 a day early- people have tires off, bikes apart, and in the case of the baggers, are in the middle of an engine change :crackup:

Not saying the weekend was perfect, they definitely could have done some things better and it was stressful as hell carrying around the radio and waiting for the next schedule change. But when you hear people complaining, MOST of the time it comes down to them not being prepared and the org. enforcing the rules.

All that being said, I take issue with the fact that some people think the 200 was so much better because MA was running it- didn't we have the same entry list and results the last 2 years? Lappers were less of a factor this year, but the cutoff was the same?

17. Gino230

I find it hard to believe that the team planned on Herrin going 20+ laps on a tank of fuel. You can't do that doing 2:00 let alone 1:51's. 20 laps is 22 considering the warm up and sighting laps. IMO those guys were playing chicken seeing who would pit first and it bit them hard.

stk0308, Nathey and TX Joose like this.
  18. Gino230

I found out a little more about the balancing-I ran into the Triumph Rep, turns out he is a former CCS racer from long ago. Apparently the Triumphs were restricted to about 80% throttle opening, and they took 5 degrees of timing out at high RPM, which hit the peak HP numbers pretty hard. After the first few sessions, either the team or Triumph requested MA rebalance and they did. They were looking at apex speeds, acceleration graphs, etc. Apparently it is very detailed. They took the ECU's and handed them back to the team with a new map. It's up to the team to figure out what they did, but in this case they gave them some of the timing back.

I thought the balancing went pretty well, considering you had 3 brands right there for the last lap. I will be curious to see what they give back to the Ducati for some of the more technical tracks. Daytona you can make up a lot with horsepower, but you could see Josh was struggling to get that bike turned and accelerating.

steved57, jd41, Chino52405 and 2 others like this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Pussy.

tophyr likes this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Man! Papa is back! There’s the guy that picked the mushroom cloud avatar... comments about load placements and calls out feline similarities between bbsers and their closest animals types...

You keep it up and you’ll be starting best ASSets threads again... ;) :D